1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Perazzi .024 constriction: pattern question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sernv99, Jan 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I ordered a Perazzi with a 18.8 bore, with .024 and .036 chokes. I wanted to use it for most of the clay games (except skeet) and for tower shoots. My gun order will be submitted at Shotshow so I have a little bit of time to change the specs. I am having some second thoughts on the .024 constriction.

For Helice/bunker/pigeon, would the .024 constriction be enough choke, combined with the 18.8 bore or would it better to tighten it up to .028? What kind of patterns are you Perazzi shooters getting with the .024 constriction, using the "premium ammo"?

Thanks in advance.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

As for bunker you are right on. Typical bunker guns are .25/.35. This is a good balance for Sporting as well. I recall that Wendell Cherry chokes for .24/.32.

Tom

3. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Tighten up for bunker. OK for the other stuff.

4. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That's what I have in fixed choke guns, #6 & #9. You'll be fine for Bunker and ATA.

Depend on the target presentation at your SC range, I use #2 & #4 on most stations in SC (Los Angeles area).

5. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have fixed chokes, .021 bottom and .033 on top. I like my chokes for Sporting Clays. I guess I could use spreader loads for really close stuff but it may not vaporize targets which I like to see. Chokes are in inches, misses are in feet.

6. brownk80

brownk80 Member

.030 / .040 for bunker; .018 / .028 for trap; why don't you just order it with choke tubes so you can change to what you need?

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!!

7. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Another idea would be to order the gun with 2 number four chokes,that would be 16 or light-mod. Then send the gun to Briley in Houston,Texas and get them to thread the barrels for choke tubes. Briley chokes tubes are much better than Perazzi factory chokes tubes. With choke tubes you can try different consrictions with various shot sizes for different situations and distances. Good luck, Jim If I could get a good trade for my wife, I might buy an MX8 with 33 inch barrels myself.

8. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

My fixed choke barrel have about 4" taper to the choke which make them shoot fairly tight.
    I patterned two K barrels, one fixed choke and one with thin walls. The choke tubed barrel had a more uneven pattern. If you go that route I would consider Wilkerson or allor to back bore the barrels after the chokes are put in.

9. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Why in the world would you order it with 2 Perazzi chokes (paying more than you would for a fixed choke barrel and getting a heavier barrel to boot) and then sending it to Briley for threading which makes the 2 Perazzi chokes useless?

Just order a fixed choke barrel with any constrictions and send it to Briley for thinwalls.

10. Dmcdanielctg

Dmcdanielctg TS Member

Don't think you can get 18.8 bores with Choke tubes. Can get 18.7 though.

Dale

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

The last thing you want to do is send it to Briley for Screw Ups. I am a bunker shooter and the .24/.36 you are talking about is fine. I have a friend that shot the 88 Olympics and won 2 nationals championships with a Mirage choked .2/.2. Also the constrictions will be good for SC. Now if you are really into SC I suggest you find another barrel. I did this last year. Found a great nearly new barrel for $1500 and had Rhino do the screw ups. This way I did not screw up my good bunker barrel. A solid choke gun will always shoot better patterns that a Screw up. If you are determined to have Screw ups then buy it originally from Perazzi the you know the chokes will be installed properly.

Tom

12. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I'd rather have chokes by Nigel Teague or Briley than Perazzi any day of the week.

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

This post seems to favor different choke tubes preferred by different people. My take on it is to get Perazzi tubes like Richard Bullard suggests and then pattern them with your shells and then decide if you need better chokes. I have all sorts of choke tubes for many guns but I shoot them on paper and targets then decide.

14. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

sernv99, personally I'd go with 24 and 32 and use it for everything except skeet. There isn't much difference between 32 and 36 in Perazzi patterns, so go with 36 if you feel better.

15. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

If the difference between a .024" and a .028" chokes makes a difference in your shooting then Perazzi should be giving you the gun.

the Italians laugh their asses off at the chokes the Americans use cuz they KNOW that shooting chokes that tight you're gonna miss.

But it is just a game, innit?

16. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

The above link shows an article with Perazzi first-barrel pattern runs with chokes from 0.015 though 0.042.

It also discusses the 0.042 second barrel choke with pattern runs with a fixed 0.042 and tubes 0.042 down to 0.033. The actual 15 patterns for each choke runs are here: http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenUpChoke.pdf.

Might be worth a look before making a final decision.

Looks to me that the 0.024/0.30 combination is perhaps the minimimum choking. A case could be made for 0.032/0.032 choking for the better shooters.

- - Bill

17. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

That article is absolutely overflowing with misconceptions, unsubstantiated contentions, and groundless conclusions. It demonstrates that if strong feelings are held on a topic then any data will support them if the real conclusions are ignored. Sloppy analysis helps too.

You should be more discerning of the "information" that you disseminate to the unknowing and gullible.

And, no, I'm not gonna argue w/you about it. The article sucks goat balls. I agree 100% w/ the Italians' opinions - JIC you missed it - the Italians laugh their asses off at the chokes the Americans use cuz they KNOW that shooting chokes that tight you're gonna miss. You can shoot any choke you like and lead every US bunker shooter to turkey chokes if you like. The philosophy has not produced much in the last few years tho, so you might want to rethink that stupid smokebomb decision maker.

JMO of course

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke wendell cherry

chokes wendell cherry digweed

perazi paper

perazzi pattern

richard bullard perazzi

typical bunker gun specs