1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People who shouldn't reload

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Harold, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold

Harold TS Member

There was a guy at our club who was having a lot of squib loads. We asked him how many grains of powder he was using and he said he didn't know. He had bought a used reloader and just started loading with whatever the machine was set to.

Another fellow was loading with 19 grains of Promo because somebody had told him you should use one more grain of Promo than you would use Red Dot.

It's scary out there.

2. 8 1/2 shot

8 1/2 shot TS Member

What an excellent opportunity to help a new reloader/shooter off to a good start. It takes a while to work into the reloading business, those of us that started when we were very young prob did worse things. I remember reloading BB's long before the days of steel and 1 5/8 ounce magnums cause that was all I could get into a short shell.

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

Oh those poor people who have yet to discover Google.

4. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

See thread "Any one used recycled wads" There may be one or 2 there that should not.

5. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

Fortunately God looks after the terminally stupid.

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on the Darwin awards!

7. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Years ago I loaded some 6.5 X 55 ammo for a guy I worked with.

About 2 weeks later he called when I was not home and asked my wife what kind of glue I used to keep the primers in the cases!!!!

She told him that she didn't think I used any glue in reloading and to call back later.

Anyway, when he called back, he told me that the primers started falling out after he had shot the rounds that I had loaded and he reloaded the brass and shot them again. I asked him if he was sure that he was not using more IMR4320 that I had used.....after a long pause, he said that he was not using 4320, he was using 700X!!!!!!!

It turned out that he had pulled one of the bullets that I had loaded, dropped a small wooden dowel into the case and marked it, then filled the case to that depth with 700X.

Now here is the kicker.....he did this in an old converted Krag rifle that had one locking lug on the bolt.

I asked him to stop by and I gave him a long explaination about burning rates and pressure and sectional density and expansion ratios.

I know this sounds like BS, but it is a true story.

8. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I can believe it. we had a guy at one of my clubs that had a 10 ga H+R. It sounded like a cannon coing off. One guy asked him what kind of shells he was using. He said reloads. OK what load are you putting in it. I don't know, what ever I have on the table. He would knock out the primer and put a new one in. He would put powder in the hull and pack it and put more. He would then put a round cut out piece of cardboard on top and then put his lead shot on top with another piece of cardboard then fold the top over. We think he had 3 times the legal load in the gun. We also found out that not to long ago he blew up a Marlin 30-30 on the range doing the same thing. We asked him to find another range. I will have to say this. The H+R was one tough gun to take all that from his reloads.

9. famill00

famill00 TS Member

First, I was the one that started the thread on using used wads.

Second, A guy up the road bought his first muzzleloader...not knowing anything about them. This was one of the first Knight inlines. He put the maxiball in the quickloader, then filled the quickloader up the rest of the way with FFF powder. My dad and I heard him shoot about 4 hollers over....it sounded like a cannon..only louder. When we all got back to the truck we could bloodtrail him back to his stand. The scope busted his eye it kicked so hard. Only took a couple stitches to sew him up. We then measured the powder, 220 grains of FFF. Knight must make one hell of a black powder rifle!!

He then decided that 90 grains of FF was plenty.

Forrest

10. bkms

bkms Member

Forrest, thats almost as bad as a police man here that bought a muzzleloader years ago. He wanted to see what it would do with regular gunpowder, well, it shot allright, peeled the barrel like a banana. Only thing it did to him was impair his hearing and hurt his feeling, lucky guy!! I also had a friend who kept splitting thompson center 50 cal stocks and he said it kicked so damn hard, i asked him how much powder do use you? He said 150 grains fff is all i ever use, lol. Finally he went quit breaking stocks when i explained to him what a safe load was. My dad was a muzzleloading instructor and it was taught a safe load was double the caliber and then minus ten. (50 cal safe load would be 50x2= 100-10=90grains) Bob...

11. famill00

famill00 TS Member

bkms,
    That theory is a good one to use, however with todays muzzle loaders they advertise a 150 grain magnum charge. I have one of those guns, but still only shoot 100 grains. 150 kicks wayyyyy too hard, plus how fast does a 350 grain hollow point bullet need to travel to kill a deer? A 175 yard shot with a muzzle loader doesnt seem like what muzzle loader season is all about. I still shot my cap and ball gun for hunting :)

Forrest

12. bwvan

bwvan TS Member

People who shouldn't reload shouldn't shoot either. Think about it.

13. bkms

bkms Member

Forrest, the incidents i am referring too, were almost 20 years ago, lol. I quit muzzleloading years ago so i havent dealt with any new ones. Here the rules changed and people can use old type replica guns like the win 1894 and so on. Alot easier than muzzleloading. Bob..

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

I will not shoot anyone else's reloads - unless I know them very well.

If someone wants to try out any of my guns, I supply the ammo or they can shoot factory loads.

Just yesterday I talked to a guy who did not know what size bushing he needed to throw a certain charge. He does not have a scale. Scary.

Don

15. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

These same people endager every shooter on the line when their guns blow up. Fred

16. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

And these morons are allowed to vote for our next "leaders"..... Ed

17. skeet100

skeet100 Member

"These same people endanger every shooter on the line when their guns blow up. Fred"

You are so correct. I have several stories of my own. Some of these guys don't get it till folks start refusing to shoot with them. I got squadded with a crazy reloader years ago. I was a lone new shooter and so was another or two. We got stuck with the local who was an aging shooter and NUT'S, looking back he might have been suffering from some type disease and should not have been reloading or possibly not even shooting. That would have been a touchy area because he shot alone and appeared to live alone. Like the other locals, when I got finished with that weekend I was done shooting with him too. He said things that I will always stand in amazement over! Glad I got through the weekend safe.

18. webley

webley TS Member

Forrest,

Regarding new developments with black powder rifles (ans "magnum loads") – manufacturers memories are somewhat limited. The 1873 vintage rifle in the photo (which I hope is somewhere here) is a .500” double rifle & shoots a 350 grain bullet pushed by 140 grains of C&H black powder or 150 grains of FFG grade black powder. It’s a breechloader of course but the bullet & powder weight it fired duplicated a very popular load used British muzzle loading rifles in the late 1860’s.

Regards

Russell

19. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

Fella bought a Mec 9000g, loads were all sqibbs, well The Book says to use 16 gr of Clays so I use a # 16 bushing right? What`s wrong? He/We got lucky.

20. CharlesR1100

CharlesR1100 TS Member

Natural selection will cure this problem. Intelligent design is a non-starter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.