1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People who live by gun clubs or airports

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    It amazes me when people purchase homes near gun clubs or airports, than complain of the noise once they move into the property. In most case scenarios, I would think they got these properties cheaper because of the noise.

How many times have we heard that new neighbors near a gun club or an airport have taken up petitions asking their city fathers that a club or airport be relocated or closed down due to the noise?

Last night, I took my wife out for dinner and two young couples were seated at the very next table. It was easy to over hear them complain about a local gun club's noise and asking what could be done to close them down?

In my way of thinking, if you purchase a property near a gun club or airport, and most likely get a break on the price of the property, you should not have a reason to gripe about the noise? In my own opinion, you don't.

What do you think?
    Steve Balistreri

2. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

We have had this very problem in the past at my gun club. Since we were there first and the person in the subdivision spent upwards of a hundred grand fighting our club lawyers, "She" finally lost her house. Too many lawyer fees I guess.

Ultimately, if the club is grandfathered in because of age the club will prevail. At least that is what happened in our case. It's sad to see the young couples thinking like that and it is usually the female side. At least in my area of Michigan they are fighting a losing battle. Spending all their cash reserves on frivolous lawsuits instead of trying to build a nest egg for their family.

Chuck

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A friend of mine bought a house for a great price because a railroad ran at the back end of his property.

Realtor didn't even want to show it, but being a Railroad enthusiast he played dumb and made a low offer....SOLD....

Some people can't accept some things in life, and are not happy unless there's something to complain about.

Regards....Gerald

4. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

There is no pill to stop Stupid!!! I have NO sympathy for those who buy or build close to Gun Clubs or airfields,then COMPLAIN about noise! --The ultimate case of moronic behavior, I think, was the City of Valpariso in FL, who actually SUED Eglin AFB Base for jet noise when the F-35 was coming in. Millions in tax payer dollars spent fighting it! In the end these MORONS did get the number of aircraft reduced,which still burns me up! First off the Base was there long before these dumb butts were even born and secondly, these STUPID,IDIOTIC, CRYBABIES wouldn't even HAVE a town or an economy, if it wasn't for Base being there! Go figure!

5. senior smoke

What is interesting is should a person or a group, complain about noise, and they then lose, one real problem arises should they then complain about safety issues.

I feel safety issues are hard to prove or disapprove in most cases.
    Steve

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Hartford Gun Club had to move...ONCE, because of the bitching, back in the 60's according to my friend. They relocated, then started buying up any property where potential issues came up. They claim to be the largest and oldest (est 1884) in the nation, and have been successful due to good planning and management. When clubs take the Ostrich, bury your head in the sand, screw 'em attitude, because of moron's, they end up, many times, paying a big price. We need to remember that many of the older clubs are occupying incredibly valuable real estate, and developers use unscrupulous tactics to get their hands on it. Chest thumping because you're in the "right" is like like thinking about past loves on the line......LOST!

best...mike

7. burtona

burtona Member

A few years ago I belonged to a club that was established in the 20's. There was nothing else around for miles. As developers built houses closer and closer during the recent housing boom one of the biggest problems we had was replacing the sign at the road to the ranges as real estate agents kept taking it down so clients wouldn't see it.

8. Ontario Chris

Ontario Chris Member

In this area, we have a small racetrack that can be heard at a great distance on Friday evenings. This track has been there for many years. A developer build a small sub-division nearby and the residents tried to have it closed down. The town told them NO WAY, you knew the track was there when you built.

Justice prevailed.

9. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have been shooting at the NSC in Texas for the last seven years and the houses are getting closer every year. when I first went there on the road leading into the range had nothing now they have a big church and a sub division across the road fron the complex and they have had some complants and at one time we thought it might move to another location.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The reality of it is the gun club usually ends up getting closed down and/or moved. Its known as urban encroachment and is a very common story. The value of the real estate determines how quickly that process moves.

11. himark

himark Well-Known Member

As a avid shooter and mountain snowmobiler I see my two interests being attacked all the time. Im not sure who gets it worse these days sledders or gun sports...its a toss up. I have attended many land closure meetings, sent un-countable letters to govt officials, and always tried to do my part to educate those type of people at the table next to me.

As a society no matter what the hobby/sport you will always have these types of people. We wont be able to stop them from griping and causing problems BUT what we can do is to be sure and defend our hobby/sports as heavily as we are attacked. What burns my arse is the people that come on forums and whine about how these people are then when asked to attend a meeting or contribute to a group to protect our rights they are no where to be found! Not pointing fingers but if you are reading this you know how much effort you put into this sport or any other for that matter.

Taking the time and getting involved is the best way to protect our rights in any sport/hobby, and always represent what ever you are doing with respect and be the bigger person.

12. senior smoke

Himark:
    First of all, I agree with your comments. I also believe that the shooting sports are and will always be a target for these types of complaints and law suits.

If we only had members the numbers of just let's say that the golfers have, I think gun club closures would be few.

Most gun clubs when originally established were built out in the so called sticks, away from other businesses and residential neighborhoods. Over the years, a way to force out a gun club was by businesses building near the local gun club. What this eventually does is continually raise the clubs taxes in an attempt to force the club out. Obviously, their are legal ways to reduce a clubs taxes.

Your best friend at a gun club should be members who shoot and who are attorneys that can guide and help the club when the need does arise.
    Steve

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Like Ontario Chris our town has had racing for 75 yrs. The city and county attorney's wives were complaining and there was a meeting between the sanctioning body and race fans and those who wanted to shut the races down. The two attorneys stated that there are noise laws in place and they could enforce them to shut the raced down so one of the race car drivers countered that the same laws could and would be used against high school sports, church bells, trains and anything else that made noise in the community. Not much was said after that.

14. senior smoke

New neighbors can be outlandish in their demands. One time we had a new woman employee hired by the company I worked for and on her first day, she requested that the department that she worked in turn the lights off as that is the way she works best.

The supervisor said no way, and if you intend to work here the lights stay on. She didn't last long as every week there was some new special request that she made.

I believe just like in the work force, you should stand your ground. Plain and simple, you can not satisfy everyone, so don't try.

Years ago, a local club tested shot shell loads after neighbors started to complain about noise coming from certain clubs. The owner of the club at the time was a 27 yard shooter and he had two other former All Americans help him test a number of new and reload shells to see if they could find a low noise load.

They also wanted to see how low of a powder charge they could possibly go and still break targets from 16 to 27 yards. If memory service me right they did get to a very low fps, but on hard angles from #1 and #5 you needed a bus transfer to catch up and lead the target. With such low powder charges the crimps on the hulls were another problem. It did lower the amount of noise, but nothing to my knowledge ever resulted by their testing.
    Steve

15. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Conversely, what are opinions of building an airport/gunclub next to your subdivision?

16. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Our club has been established for more than 65 years. Ten years ago, the trouble started.

Being there first doesn't seem to cut it.

Where the club was negligent was in not opposing the re-zoning that allowed the residences to be built. If they had opposed the re-zoning until a waiver was signed and attached to each property deed acknowledging and accepting the existence of the gun club, there would be no problem.

Our club now notifies the listing broker each time a house in the area goes up for sale. That way, the new purchaser tacitly accepts the existence of the club.

17. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Our local gun club (a for profit operation) had been in operation for over 30 years. Some new neighbors got some of the older neighbors (none had lived there before the gun club was built) worked up into wanting the gun club closed due to noise. The county commission and some state level legislators (all Republicans) either drug their feet or sided with the new homeowners. However, one state senator (a Democrat) joined with a state house member on the other side of the state to push through state legislation grandfathering in any shooting facility that had been in operation 30 years or more. The range did have to move a few sporting clays stands near the road and plant some trees. They are still currently in operation. Of course it did help that this happened in gun friendly Tennessee.

18. senior smoke

BigMPerazzi:
    Interesting question.
    Steve

It is amazing to me how a few disgruntled people can cause a club so many problems and grief. It really hurts a club when anti gun individuals sit on the city board.
    Steve

19. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Airposr - emminent domain.

Gun Club - probably not.

20. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

In the past I've heard of a few clubs that are proactive in regard to a growing community.

Twice a year a representative attends town meetings and tells the town of future plans, youth activies, and club schedules. The rep is also prepared to answer questions.

I would think he needs to be well versed in what the club is doing to manage lead, noise, and hours of operation; to include knowing state and local laws in that regard.

May something that clubs need to take a look at....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.