1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People who bash sellers prices

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maclellan1911, Apr 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I see it all over the place, many sellers getting bashed for the price of their goods. What I dont see is the bashers offering same goods for a better price. Let those name their price and all who are interested apply. WTF is going on.

2. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

First of all this is not an auction site this is an OPEN forum. If the seller cannot take a little bashing maybe they should use Gunbroker.com. Most of the time the people listing guns cannot even post pictures on this site so they get someone(MIA)to post them and they keep bumping them to the top for weeks without lowering the price(Red Flag, May be OVER priced). I have seen several guns listed on here that had close to 2000 viewings and close to 20 bumps by the seller(Red Flag, Motivated Seller). Buying, selling,trading and negotiating a price is all part of trap shooting and is what makes this site great. So if you can't take a little bashing (negotiating)don't post it here. Darren

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Welcome to TireKicker World.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I've often tought of trying ot cut thru the Photobucket gobbly gook so guys that want to, can post theri own stuff... But really, those are the guys out doing something else with trheir lives. God bless them.

5. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I can understand what you are saying and I agree to most of it.

The hard part is about where the seller has such an inflated price on it, it is just hard not tell him that he is way out of line.

Sometimes I don't really think they know what the price should be and others do and are hoping to hook a sucker into buying it for much more than it is worth.

Just my thoughts.

Hauxfan!

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Tuff Love: This is an open forum. If you want to post a sale item, be prepared accept opinions of what the value of the item is worth. And if you don't like the opinions; Well! that's too bad............

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Posters who bash others prices are very SMALL people! Take your Mother or your Grandmothers advice depending on how old you are. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY DO NOT SAY ANYTHING! Grow Up you very small people. BIll

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

A gun is 'worth' only what a motivated cash-buyer is willing to spend - no matter what a seller paid for it, or why, or when ... or how magnificent the wood is.

Silence SHOULD be instructive to sellers.

After 2-3 bumps, everybody that is interested has seen the offer and it's time to reduce the price ('reduce' as opposed tinker: $2995 to $2975 on a gun that *may* sell for $2300).

my dos pesos

Bob

9. whosyourdaddy

whosyourdaddy Member

The bashers are simply nose pickers,tire kickers, daydreamers, and picture collectors. They would not buy the gun if it were half the asking price. They more than likely do not have the money, and if they did, their wives or moms would not let them buy the gun. They also will not have the common courtesy to respond with a simple "no thanks", or "I will pass",after you send them pics. Whole lot of keyboard tough guys on this site. Thank goodness the good people on this site far outweigh the jerks. If these keybord tough guys acted this way in public, trap clubs would be more like UFC fights than shooting facilities.

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

It just seems to me that the bashing of prices is more than it used to be, on all sites. Im not talking offers for the product being lower. Just the those that reply that the seller is a crook or way out of line. I dont mind getting rubbed a little here and there if done right it is very entertaining. I just have not seen much to back up the bashing...with a better product or better price or better source.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

OTOH, if a fellow has a $300 beater 1100 parts gun and wants $700 for a "trap" model, he deserves a little ribbing, if not an outright rebuke!

What about the '67 or so Browning Superposed with rust on the frame and wood rotted, exclaiming it is NOT a salt gun?

Also, I like the "selling for a sick friend" tale. These guns are almost always overpriced.

This is an open forum. Keep the rebukes short of libel, and you will be fine. LOL

12. DJM

DJM Member

Not all of us are experts on pricing. So one way to find out is to start high and work down until it sells. I think a PM is a better way to let a seller know their price is too high.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Your price - your business. The market will determine the price eventually if you're asking too much.

14. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

DB Bill: "It all goes back to finding the right buyer .... bascially someone who buys for "value" and not because it's a bargain."

Yep, especially in specialty guns ... and if you're NOT selling to buy another gun next week and are under THAT additional pressure.

When I offer substantially less than 'ask', I try to explain that I am not trying to insult, but that I'm offering to buy his ____ as a hunting gun, and great wood, unfingerprinted bluing, 4-way adjustable ... while nice, and possibly interesting, are not worth a premium to me.

Sometimes we can get together, sometimes we can't, but I do want to part friends.

Bob

15. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you feel a price is out of line, its easy enough to email the seller or if they haven't posted their email, PM them. I have done that a few times when I have felt the seller is just not in tune w/ the market. I have had several even email me back thanking me.

16. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

jsa3107 You are 100% correct . If a seller had to PAY for the add it would not be up for six months and would be in line with the value . It,s the fact that it,s free so ask anything you like .

ALF

17. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Aren't FS supposed to be in the sale section, instead of the general interest?

I found Gus Wasso's FS posts in General Interest' and his daily bumps distracting at first, but easily ignorable - without knowing a thing about his pricing structure.

I would seem like proper placement, itself, would cut down on some commentary - not everybody reads FS/WTB.

GS

18. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I sold one gun here and people were very interested and suggested it was a fair price. I got a good price on it, it wasn't for me, so I moved it on for what it cost me plus a little fix up money that I had in it. Also sold a barrel that was fairly priced in my view considering the time I had in sourcing it years ago and the fact that the person paid me up front and I put the time into packaging it. But I am sure somebody could have found reason to bash my price.

On the other hand, I have a gun here that is bringing little interest, although I have it fairly priced based upon what it is advertised for at Trap and Field by a couple of sellers. So it's often the market, the times, reputation of the gun, availability of a chance to shoot one like it, etc., etc., etc.

But...a seller can only come down, not come up. I think I'll stop bumping up my thread but once per week now. Bashers don't insult me, in fact, I'm glad that there is some bashing going on, even towards my item for sale, 'cause I'd hate to think somebody bought something and then felt they paid too much. I think "bashing" is kind of a crude policing of "rip offs" and I to am open to bashing if I have priced something too high in somebody's mind. All opinions about what I ever have for sale are welcome. Doesn't mean I'll sell it, but it also means somebody won't feel bad once they have purchsed it.

19. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

DB Bill,,,,you may have outed them!!!!

20. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

I'm with Hitapair.

A couple of months ago a gentleman listed some 'used' reloading hardware for sale. He was asking a touch over full retail. I dropped him a polite PM explaining his price was unlikely to result in sales. I also shared the addresses of some websites to allow him to confirm 'new' prices for himself.

I received a brief thank you note and the seller promptly dropped his price to a level that should have resulted in sales.

I don't see it as my place to hassle someone about his/her asking price. An overpriced gun on ts.c will end up like the overpriced stuff on the auction sites that fail to generate a single bid. That lack of interest tells the seller everything he/she needs to know.

sissy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.