1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People Lost and People Who Lived.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

A college student who I worked with had a stroke at age 28. He was just alittle over weight but not bad. He ate poorly. He was lucky because it was a small one. He's doing better now.

A friend who was thin and very active had a major heart attack at age 44. He was very lucky to be alive. Once he was taken care of and a few days after the ER vist he asked the Doc why he was looking looking at him so funny. He answered the question Because we were waiting for you to die. He has made a full recovery and doing well. He is now watching what he eats and his wife is watching him like a hawk. He also ate very poorly.

A friend who worked in his yard then helped a neighbor with his yard work went home and fell flat on his face. The doc said he was dead before he hit the floor. He was over weight.

There are a number of other people I could talk about here. I for one had a weight problem, cholesterol, high blood pressure and high sugar in the blood. I now have it under control. I also go to the gym 5 days aweek. 3 days of weights and 5 days of cardio. It has helped me greatly.

We are not teenagers any more. We can't sit down and eat what we want to and then run it off by the end of the day like we use to. Wish we could still. We now have to watch what we eat and what we do.

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Auctioneer, That's very good advice, but you forgot to add STOP SMOKING. I quit after 50 years (and a stroke). Larry

3. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I've never been overweight and I don't use tobacco. I had a 5 way bypass at 50 years and I knew it was coming. You just can't avoid arteriosclerosis when it is in your genes. Bill

4. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Also pay close attention to your genetic heritage!!!

Curt

5. blade819

blade819 Well-Known Member

Not only take care of yourself both physically and mentally, but once you hit 50 get check ups with full blood workups every 6 months. Also (I hate this) colonoscopies every 10 years. I believe the odds are against us today because all the steroids and artifical growth hormones that are imbedded into our foods.

blade819

6. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You all are so correct. I was told to get the colon check every 5 year. It could have changed to 10 years.

Come this March 2, 2014 it will be 20 years of not smoking for me. Worst thing to start and the best thing to stop doing.

Smoking causes mouth, throat, lung, heart, blood flow, eyes and your vains will be affected by smoking. I quite because I was ready. I also used the patch. The best thing I ever did. Chew is worst then smoking when it comes to harming your body.

7. RWT

RWT Well-Known Member

All good advice.

Stop tobaco.

Drink moderately.

Hope you have good genes.

Exercise.

Damit, missed the gym this morning, makes 5 years in a row.

8. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

The time frame for colonoscopy is dependent if polyps were found.

A few months back I had one and no polyps were found. Doc told me see you in 10 years.

A friend was not so lucky, he had more than a few removed, he told me he had to go back in 5 years.

Jason

9. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Take 2000 mgs of Vitamin C a day. Moderate all you do. Stay away from doctors
    or hospitals as much as possible. Spend time with real friends & family, not acquaintances. Live each day like it's your last.

10. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nothing demoralizes a physician more than to see you have no interest in taking care of yourself. Chichay

11. Remdog1187

Remdog1187 Well-Known Member

Don't get demoralized. There are plenty of sheep out there in the US that have been brainwashed enough that they require a physician for every ache & pain. They will help you remain in business.

12. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I have a brother in law that used to think that doctors were for other people. he was never overweight, didn't smoke or drink much. He once told me that the human body is a wonderful self-healing machine. 2 years ago they removed a tumor from his colon the size of an orange. He now wears a bag and goes to his checkups religiously. Got to go to the doctor and do what he says......Bill

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I get a colonoscopy every 3 years--it takes 5 years for cancer to form in the colon--10 years is way to long- cancer could be well under way between exams.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I am headed in for one in two hours, damn I can't wait, actually the worst is over, I don't know who thought up Go Lightly but I sure didn't

15. topgunoh

topgunoh Member

Just a word about smoking, I have smoked for 45 yrs. and tried to quit twice, cold turkey was driving me nuts, was in a bad mood all the time couldn't sleep, eat everything I could get my hands on, wife hated it. Tried the patch it was terrible, didn't even want to try the drugs with all the side effects, so just gave up and just smoked more every time I tried.

Well I think I have found the solution, I started E Cigarettes two weeks ago and have not smoked since. My lungs have cleared out, no more coughing and and things taste and smell different, feel better also. Wife still smokes and everytime she lights up they smell awefull. Would never have believed it in such a short period of time.

I have thought about somehow to quit for a few years. So ran into a guy who has been Vaping for about 6 mos. and really likes it, so I thought what the hell, a few bucks was all I'd loose if it didn't work I'll try it, it's working great for me, have already cut my nicotine in half, not hungey all the time like I was doing the cold turkey thing.

Just my observations, your results may differ, not preaching just telling, at 65 I just felt I needed to do something.

Dave

16. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

To all smokers take a spiral CT scan, this scan can detect lung problems before they can't be treated.
    I was in a test program @ Moffitt Cancer Tampa 15 years ago, the program lasted 4 years. The machine was rare back then, I understand they're quite common place now. If you smoke, take this test.

Phil Berkowitz

17. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

My wifes grandfather lived to 97 smoked every day and ate eggs and bacon every morning, burgers three times a week. Seems more genetics than anything else!

18. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Take 1000 mg of fish oil with breakfast every day, you'll be surprised how much better you feel. Joe

19. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Even after a heart attack at 40 I couldn't quit smoking till I got pneumonia bad enough one time they put a inflatable vest that vibrated around my chest for 4 days to shake the phlegm in my lungs loose. This is the same vest they use for people with Cystic Fibrosis. I'm here to tell you that was no fun and I really feel sorry for the people who suffer with that disease. I never had a smoke after that and it doesn't bother me a bit.

Like topguoh I couldn't believe how fast a person can come to the conclusion on how foul smelling and irritating cigarette smoke is.

20. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I'm with Phil....Colonoscopy at 3-5 yr intervals. I had one a year ago..this new stuff they use to put you to sleep is awesome. For the first 2 I had, going back into the 1980's...I wasn't given anything to let me sleep through it. Still a good choice to "catch it early" if there's anything going on in there.
    IMHO: if you use tobacco, ENJOY. There's no law against it if you're an adult.
    Don't waste your time with diet and exercise. Don't worry about making good food choices, or taking any of the various vitamins or supplements. You've ALREADY CHOSEN to shorten your life...just go for it and enjoy the ride.