1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People Have Lotsa Spare Money

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by pdq, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

Took a 2 day clinic with Phil Kiner -- terrific clinic -- at Glen Rock Gun Club near Shrewsbury PA, south of York PA. Couldn't get a hotel anywhere close, because there was a huge custom car and hot rod meet the same weekend in York.

Man 'o man I couldn't believe all the incredible cars I saw on the highways -- and if those were just the ones I saw, hard to imagine what the meet itself must have been like. Chopped Model A coupes, gorgeous paint jobs, huge engines and more chrome than you could shake a stick at. And, looking at the people driving, these weren't people who looked like their other car was a Rolls Royce -- just everyday people. But, those cars must have cost a small fortune to put together -- heck I can't imagine how much the paint jobs and pin striping alone must have cost.

Another nice thing was that it was a spectrum of cars fromt he '30s thru the '70s.

Must be nice to have that kind of money to spend on a hobby. Sure were neat looking cars.

Pete

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Around here most of the rod folks put theirs together thmeslves in their somewhat larger garages, and much of the time it's father/son stuff.

2 or 3 good painters around, but not much in the way of car builders.

One guy I know was a counterman at Graybar electric all his life but he has a couple of very nice cars.

I think dedication is just as effective as money if you ask me.

HM

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

they are better than cash right now

4. quartering

quartering Active Member

sure. for a 1929 rolls royce or a 1970 boss mustang. but try and sell 2011 porsche 911sc right now. good luck with it

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Building a car does not cost anymore than shooting. It's all in what your into.
    And I know of which I speak so let the argument begin!

6. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Bill Grill is right. I was shooting with a guy in Illinois one time, and we started chatting about work, economy, etc. I told him that trap sure was an expensive hobby. He replied that it was fairly cheap compared to his hobby before trap. He raced sprint cars. He said his engine only cost as much as his Krieghoff. Then engine blows, you gotta have another.

7. metal1

metal1 TS Member

i`m another car nut and still try to fit in a race now and thenit is all relative on what you want to spend on a hobby, custom cars to me are a spend as you can or just save up ,a new trap gun is the same . shells are like spending $$ on gas,,, but golf i cant figure out that one,hahaha...jeff

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Have of the people down there probably live in trailers. Its all priorities. Same for people with 25k harleys.

I am not knocking any trailer dwellers.

9. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Hey easy on us trailer park people. A home is where you park your Rolls. :)

[​IMG]

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Rick--Your not the only only one that had a '72 with "ugly lime green with a dirty cream top." Bought this one off a friend back when i was a teenager. :D

Sold mine before i could make it look as nice as yours.

[​IMG]

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Talk about nice garages?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QP4DFJx7EPs&feature=youtu.be

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Lots of these guys with hot rods bought them new or got them when they were kids and still own them. A friend has a 1955 Chev all tricked out (Chrome 427, tuck and roll, three shades of Pearl Blue paint, etc), and drives it to various car shows a few times a year. Every once in a while he'll add something new. He has had that car since his dad bought it for him in 1962. And he would never sell it.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The car guys that I know aren't rich. They get to the point of having really nice cars by continually building up what they have and selling and upgrading every now and then. Seems like they usually have at least one car in the works at all times and one finished car for show. I can think of worse ways for a guy to spend his money.

14. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

People Have Lotsa Spare Money

I kind of think the same thing when I go to the trap and skeet fields and see folks shooting 14K shotguns but that's what makes the world go round.

15. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Most car guys I know have gray hair like me.

Most are in their late 50s or 60s, have their kids raised, retired and having some fun.
    Workmanship is incredible. The Good Guys show here in Cols, Ohio in July will blow your mind.
    Not cheap. A 40,000 Street Rod is probably a bargain at todays prices.

Regards....Gerald

16. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Pretty cars Rick. Chichay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.