1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

People Control

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by RBL661, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBL661

RBL661 TS Member

When will we realize that the problem is PEOPLE CONTROL - some folks just shouldn't have guns, ammo, dangerous things that could harm themselves or others and maybe should be watched more closely when they use public transportation, among other things.

Why don't our legislators get it.

2. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

They do get it...it's just that the people who shouldn't have guns and ammo just go out and steal them from the people that should have them.

Make a fortune for yourself...figure out a foolproof way to stop that from happening that doesn't involve nuking the 2nd amendment.

Keller

3. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: some folks just shouldn't have guns, ammo, dangerous things

So how do you control people who YOU THINK shouldn't have a firearm, that otherwise don't have a criminal record or been declared mentally deficient, but need to be watched more closely?

4. Scott Johnson

Scott Johnson Well-Known Member

It all starts at home, two parents and some discipline, well we used to go to high school shotguns in our vehicle and hunt ducks right after school. No one ever thought about ever going in the school with a dang gun. Think about this also, all these violent video games, killing people and making it look all normal. Basically the massacres at school are a result of societies degradation, taking God out of everything, no one ever responsible, no recourse, no punishment. "Its not my fault" syndrome, we are diffinently not on the right path and all these counterfeit politicians will not do one thing to jeopardize their vote. The system is broke, its not the fault of a gun, its the fault of parents and society. Tough times we live in now. YMMV. Scott

5. Stumpi24

Stumpi24 Member

Wow Scott I thought I was the only one with those thoughts, its called secular humanism, if it feels good do it and no judgement or responsibility. Don't worry the system will take care of everything. The courts are the mom and the goverment will pay and be dad. We had better get god back into the center. Stan

6. JH

JH Well-Known Member

It is simple, really....the two divergent fundamental premises:

Liberal: Man is good. Evil happens when society does not provide adequate support and programs. There is no such thing as personal responsibility and FREE WILL. We are all acting out our genetic predispositions and reacting to environmental forces. We are victims of our genes and circumstances. We are helpless, powerless and entitled.

Conservative: There is a God. There are Evil People in the World who choose to do evil deeds. Man can control his destiny by making intelligent choices, controlling impulses and taking responsibility for his ACTIONS. We are what we do. Our actions define us! Freedom is a function of actualized personal responsibility.

7. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

In education we called it the "Acorn Syndrome." It does not fall far from the tree.

WW

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

This kid hadn't committed a crime yet, but had mental problems written all over him. There has to be some way for school psychologists and others with knowledge of cases like this to raise the flag. You look at the shooters in the past several incidents, and it's eerie how similar they are in some ways. There's a profile starting to emerge on the kinds of people who do this. Let's work on that and be proactive.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

The similarities in the photos, from the Aurora shooting suspect, Arizona shooting suspect, and this kid, seem to tell the story. How do we restrict access of guns to these individuals, and how do we determine if they should be denied that right. Pretty much impossible. People are responsible for their own actions. Problem is, it depends on what each individual considers irresponsible, or inconsiderate in a normal thinking person. The mentally ill have a totally different way of viewing responsibility, if at all.

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

STL Flyn,

The knee jerk, simplistic "deny accessibility" red-herring needs to be shelved while more facts are known...here are more press reports:

1. The Murderer (not the "young man" or, any other liberal euphemism) was withdrawn from school because the mom was "battling with the school district." Meaning, he probably had the recurrent social/behavioral discipline problems which most Asperger's students exhibit in regular classes. Someone may have dropped the ball in not addressing his needs.

2. He was "home schooled" as a function of his school issues. He lived in a 1.6 million dollar home with a mom receiving $300,000 plus a year from her ex.

3. She is reported to have been a survivalist/Doomsday Prepper who had firearms linked with that mind-set. She, apparently, did not put them in a gun safe, or, if she did, he knew how to defeat it.

4. Yes, most mass murderers are white young men. Most come from privileged backgrounds, are socially inept/isolated and are often immersed in the "goth" identity. The murderer loved video games (violent?) May have been medicated and was alienated from both brother and father. (absent male figures)

We all seek information to help us understand, deter and predict such events and to give us back our ILLUSION OF CONTROL. But the fact is we are all vulnerable to random acts of violence. No one is 100% safe. And, many of us, would rather rely upon ourselves rather than others for our safety.

Regarding responsible behavior and "judgment"....if my kid had major social/behavior issues, I would keep my guns locked in a safe at all times!

11. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

IF....(and that's gonna be a stretch I know...)..IF all Americans are willing to get past their agenda's and REALLY study the problem I believe we CAN make some "MEANINGFUL CHANGES". In other words...I agree with the President and I NEVER THOUGHT I'D SAY THAT.
    SADLY....the definition of "MEANINGFUL" is where we part company. The left has been waiting (praying...??? THERE...I said it) for this kind of tragic crime to use it as an excuse and they are coming out in full force with their agenda which won't solve the problem.
    I'm sure I'm not the only person in America who, when I heard the first report...I KNEW in my own mind, that the criminal was going to turn out to be a young white male, with a history of "issues".
    This is a mental health issue that is directly tied to our current culture. Guns have been around a LONG TIME....the worship of violence we see all around us today HASN'T. There is a connection, although I'm not smart enough to elucidate it.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Keep in mind that Sarah Brady wants "people control". She wants to control which people have access to guns. Their motto is "keeping guns out of the wrong hands". Except in their case the "wrong hands" are everyone except the military and police.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

20 years ago we were druggging kids instead of dealing with their problems.

our tree is full of chickens now.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.