1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

people at auctions are NUTS....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by geeber, Feb 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geeber

geeber Member

I was watching a Hornady 366 on Ebay today. It was missing both the primer feed assembly and the shot and powder bottles. All of the metal parts were corroded and rusted. It sold for well over $200.00. I would like to pick up a 366 like that for a project but I thought it would be a lot cheaper. Maybe I don't have a sense of what they are really worth, even in bad condition.
    Gary B.

2. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Some people take getting out bid at an auction the same as getting a butt whipping.

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

When eBay was young it was a great place to find deals. I built two hot rods from parts that were obtained almost exclusively from eBay and saved a bundle. Any more I rarely find a deal there. People there often pay more for something than they could buy it locally or elsewhere on the web. Just as bad as a live auction where people get caught up in the fever and pay double for what something is really worth. Too bad really.

4. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

I toowas watching the loader,couldn't believe how it went . at the same time I was bidding on a rcbs green machine and it went too high too.

5. geeber

geeber Member

I said I was watching it , not bidding on it. It wasn't worth it.
    Gary B.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Yeah, sometimes idiots get their egos invested on ebay. I once got outbid on a used Porter Cable biscuit joiner and watched in amazement as two fools ran each other up another $75. I drove to the store and bought one new for less than the "winner" paid on ebay -- before shipping.

I still get good deals on there sometimes but it's much harder than it used to be.

-Gary

7. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I had a guy pay $240 for a Steyr SSG 308 mag one time. HE WAS JUST GOING TO WIN NO MATTER WHAT. Hell I bought the mag for $45.00.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I got a lot of my horse and barn equipment on EBAY back 7 or 8 years ago, but there is nothing for a bargain on there any more. I rarely even get on the sight any more. The same things happen at our local auctions. People are overpaying for everything. I don't understand it.

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Ii noticed when at auctions lately that prices for used is very high. I guess some of those folks just can't stand the thought of someone getting a good deal so they run the prices up on almost everything. Like the one poster said one is about as well off not to spend the gas money and just go to the store to begin with. Dan

10. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have not used ebay in over 5 years....since the economy went belly up, I see more and more people selling items that you can buy new for almost the same price the items end up selling for.

11. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

Sold the stock seat off my HD Ultra for over retail, the winner could have went to any dealer and got it cheaper, I think sometimes they get caught up in the auction and the adrenaline kicks in.

12. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have seen the item list for .99 cents but the shipping is $30.00 for a 2 pound item. It has been said that people will list things and go to another computer and or use another ID name and bid it up themselves or have someone else do it for them. Its all a game I'm sorry to say.

13. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

that's called shilling (bumping the price of your own item via multiple IDs or from friends) and has been going on since ebay was started....nothing new....ebay was suppose to crack down on high shipping fees being qouted by the sellers....

14. ONClaybuster

ONClaybuster TS Member

eBay is getting screwed by this. They get a percentage from the selling price, not from the shipping.

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Was at a farm sale back in the 70's and the sale featured 2 plain jane 1974 GMC pickups with less than 50 miles on them...2 guys were biddin' hot and heavy and got the price up to $5100....SOLD!...and the other idiot took the second truck at that same price....there were more just like them sitting on the local dealer's lot for about $4995!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.