1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pennsylvania -- really miss it.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by DB Bill, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I'm from Pennsylvania originally but left when I joined the USAF. I still go back to take care of some family matters and always hate to come home to California.

Last week was a great trip and I got to see the Phillies play, at home, for the 1st time since a 1980 World Series game. What a great stadium! We got to see 3 games and I felt like a kid going to old Shibe Park to see Richie Ashburn as a rookie. 45,000+ fans each day, great views in the park, great food and an amazing pitching staff. The whole experience makes the Dodgers look "bush".

I told my sons we'll be going back for at least the play-offs even if I have to sell a Bowen to do it.

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Well something new is happening here in Pa. Well maybe not new but perhaps strange or odd. The amount of Tornados here is way up.

We had an F1 rip through here thursday night and several spin offs. Few days before another in a different county and days before that another F 1 in Philly took the roof off an auto repair garage

Been here all my life and have never seen so many trees twisted and blown over at one time. Power was out along with phone service, roads are still closed as the PPL power along with Verizon try to replace poles and repair wires that are down.

I now have a new respect for those of you living in or near Tornado alley and anyone who has been through dealing with them. Its one thing to see the damage on TV that happened somewhere far away but when it goes by your house at night-well You gotta live through one to really understand the power and this was a 110 mph wind, just a little F 1.

So all of you who have been dealing with the more powerful tornado's, I just can't understand what it must be like to see an F3 or F4 go past the house,or the destruction it can leave behind.

You all have my greatest respect.

PS.....I still enjoy living here. Can't drive more than 20 - 30 min in any direction without passing a gun club that shoot trap.

And we have the Phillies, Eagles and the Reading Phillies-Pittsburg ball clubs.....baseball & football, and we can't forget the hockey fans.....and so much more-and the food !!

crab

3. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Grew up in the Harrisburg area and eventually received a degree in Meteorology from PSU. When we were flying out of Philly Thursday we were delayed almost5 hours be large thunderstorms along the Susquehanna and upper Juniata rivers.

4. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

During the thursday evening F 1 , nearby towns had photos of hail the size of baseballs, blew out car windshields, not just cracked them, went right through them.

With your degree you should have been on the TV helping out, LOL.

That line of storms thursday did indeed spin out the tornado's that came my way as they moved north east.

Did you work with joe bastardi ? Were you on weather world program ?

Perhaps the rapture has begun ? Now there, I opened a can of worms........

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Bill, you mean Connie Mack stadium, in the late 50's it would cost us kids 50 cents to get a seat in the bleachers for day games. I guess you don't remember Wally Kinnan the weatherman.

6. nomoloscofoso

nomoloscofoso Member

Hey Bill

Pa. STATE SHOOT in June!

Pete S.

7. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Hey guys earthquake last night up in N.E. Phila. aganist the Bucks Co. border under a 2 on the scale but quite attetion getting.

8. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

That was my fault I think...should have passed on that last bean burrito last night : P

9. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Toolmaker --- it was Shibe Park first and was renamed Connie Mack Stadium right after the Athletics moved out. I can remember riding the train to Philly when the station was just across the street from the ball-park.

We'd go down early Saturday for the twi-light double header's -- get into the park around 11am - watch batting practice, get some autograph's and then the 1st game around 1:30 and then after the game run out on the field and pretend we were big-leaguer's until we got hungry and then back for the 7pm game-- we'd get into Harrisburg around 1:30 to 2am and Dad would pick us up. $5 covered everything including the train and by the time I got to high school I could make enough playing gin rummy with the porters to pay for the trip with some left over.

Back in the 50's there were a lot of week-ends where they played a game on Friday nite and a double-header on Saturday and another on Sunday.

The best part of the Sunday games were you could hang around the train station and get autographs of the team leaving and of the team coming in -- I wish I still had all the autographed balls but we played with them the next day -- who knew?

Still love those Tastycakes and Philly Cheesesteaks.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Could Richie Ashburn make this team?

11. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Born and raised just outside Philly.

I travel the world for work and have never found a place that comes close - lots of places I like to visit - but would never move there permanently. I love the true four seasons we experience.

I think Philly is the best kept secret in the USA. Largest city park in the world - miles of paths and trails to explore. Last I saw the largest number of museums of any city in the world. Always rated as one of the best restaurant cities in the USA.

Cheese steaks, soft pretzels, Tastykakes, scrapple (don't ask), unique pizza, Reading Terminal Market, the Italian Market. It just goes on and on...

David D

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Dave, you left out one of the important items in the list. Hoagies.

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

TM251,

True, oh so true...

14. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

birdogs --- not only could he make it, he'd be the MVP.

He's the proto-typical lead-off hitter who can make a picture throw a lot of pitches, mastered the art of the drag-bunt, had a high on-base percentage, doesn't strike out and would be a high-percentage base-stealer. Mike Schmidt, Steve Carleton, Robin Roberts and Richie Ashburn -- 1 thru 4 of the greatest Phillies ever.

Whitey typically lead the league in put-outs during the Mays, Snider, etc era of the National League --- plus he had a pretty decent arm to go with his speed. People like to say God covered 4/5's of the Earth with water and Maddox covered the rest but I'd take Whitey in an heart-beat. Do you remember Maddox back-to-back hump-backed liners in a play-off game in LA - the 2nd of which allowed the Penguin to score the winning run of the final game.

If you ever listened to him and Harry talk about speed you know the only one faster than Whitey was his older sister.

15. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I can relate, Bill. I was born and reared in Huntingdon County. I've been in California for 31 years, but it never feels like home. Just a few more years in Cali(which has been very good to me), and we are going home to stay. Kick back,fish,hunt a little,do some shotgun shootin at Shenecoy, and maybe even have a cold Yeungling every now and then.

16. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

To all that has said nice things about the Phila./Pa. area THANK YOU.I often find myself defending my town, there is good and bad about every where and every body.There is one trap/skeet/pistol/large bore and fishing club still whitin the city limits.
    Bill at one time me and my father hunted near Saxton and Raystown lake area.

To all have a good day and say a prayer.

Jim

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

A California kid liking Philly? I don't think so. You may like going back but, I can"t imagine someone growing up in California liking Philly. I's like a foreign country to a Prune Picker from California. Been there and done that.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Yeah, and no more Pheasants, housing developments where we used to hunt, drunks and drugheads taking over some gun clubs and traffic everywhere. Not even close to what it once was!!

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I've been in California a long time, but it never feels like home. When I fly into Pittsburgh and drive east to the Alleghenies and the Ridge and Valley country, I feel my stress level drop. I'm home! I don't get to the Philly area much anymore. My inlaws used to live in Bryn Mawr, but they've moved to New Hampshire.

Hey need to shoot...my brother can hitch up his boat and be on Raystown and fishing in about 15 minutes. Pretty nice place, but awful crowded in the summer. I'm very familiar with Saxton. I got my nose broke in a nasty bar fight there one night during my salad days. Those coal crackers are tough.

20. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I'm aware of all the warts and truthfully neither the hot and humid summers not the cold and damp winters of central Pennsy appeal to me on a full-time basis -- a week or two once or twice a year is enough.

California's biggest drawback -- horrendous traffic -- is no longer a bother since I retired. The weather is mostly great as I'm close enough to the beach to get a bit of the sea breeze and the biggest things are my 2 son's and their families live here so nothing else really matters.

I still miss Pennsy but not enough to move back -- I love going to the store to get a loaf of bread and talking to people I don't know -- folk's are almost as friendly as those in Texas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.