1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

== PENN STATE OUTRAGE ==

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by GW22, Nov 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I think everybody with an opinion on this needs to read this Grand Jury Report. Prepare to be sickened.

Tell me you read it all and then tell me Paterno should be coaching Saturday.

Tell me you read it all and then tell me the football program should even be allowed to continue the season.

-Gary

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Gary, I hear ya. Here in Pennsylvania, where Penn State and Joe Paterno were held as God-like images of perfection, it's taking time to sink in. My father earned his BA and MA at Penn State and was a rabid PSU football fan. It's probably good he isn't around for this. I work with a PSU season ticket holder; you'd think his dog died or something.

I had an opportunity to listen to ESPN Radio on the SiriusXM radio in a vehicle I drove for almost two hours today. This is all they taked about and I think I heard every opinion possible. In a way, I think Joe might have done what he HAD to do but I do think a man of his moral stature probably should have done more. The guy I feel sorry for in this mess is Mike McQuery(sp?). He was a lowly graduate assistant at the time and instead of reporting what he saw to an assistant coach, he went right to the head man, Joe Paterno. If Joe failed to take the information to wherever it should have gone, it's hard to include someone in that position on the chain of command in the blame. I kind of like Mike just going by the way he conducts himself on the sidelines and the fact that a former PSU player returned to his school as an assistant coach.

Anyway, the whole thing is a horrible mess and I think I agree with Colin Cowherd. He thinks having Joe coaching Saturday will turn that home game into a 105,000-person pep rally for Joe Paterno and suggest that football is more important to Penn State than morality.

By the way, Colin Cowherd reported today that research by ESPN revealed that Penn State NETS fifty million dollars from its football program. Wow.

Ed

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I lost all respect for Paterno and all he has accomplished. In my eyes it makes the MLB steriod thing seem like kids stuff. How could you turn your back on those kids? That's what he did by not going to the authorities right away.

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Ed: What he "HAD to do"? Why would he HAVE to look the other way when a child had been raped by one of his people?

-Gary

5. crusha

crusha TS Member

Notre Dame will take him

6. AveragEd

He satisfied his LEGAL obligations by taking the information to his superiors. That's what he HAD to do. Where he fell short of his MORAL obligation to those kids is by not taking the matter to the authorities when his superiors failed to do so. That's what he SHOULD have done. I'm certainly not defending the man, just trying to objectively state the facts as I know them.

Frankly, I've felt that Joe Paterno has been holding the PSU football program back for a number of years. Just last Monday evening, I mentioned to my wife that not long ago, it was impossible to hear the starting players for any NFL team introduced without hearing Penn State mentioned as the school from which at least one of them graduated. Today, it's possible to not hear it mentioned all weekend. He's not getting the top recruits and often plays the ones he does get in new-to-them positions. That's okay if it works but it doesn't seem to very often.

Ed

7. AveragEd

My wife just heard on the TV news that Joe Paterno is officially no longer part of the PSU coaching staff. Also, PSU president Graham Spanier has been relieved of his duties.

Ed

8. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Let me understand this. Mike McQuery sees Sandusky sodomizing a boy and does nothing but run away --- Mike is the 6'6" red-haired guy graduate asst who was in his late 20's at the time.

What shoud he have done? He should have stopped it! If he was afraid to intervene why didn't he call the police -- he was the witness. Instead he goes to Paterno who should have gotten more involved and the two of them should have contacted the police --- and then called the President of the University. In an ideal world that's what would have happened.

What do I think happened? After Paterno got what he perceived to be a report on some suspicious behavior from McQuery he calls the AD in the morning to report what he was told - the AD says he will look into it. Paterno assumes he would --- why wouldn't he? Time goes by and Joe who feels he was only the conduit to the AD assumes since he hasn't heard anything forgets about the incident assuming if there was anything to it he would have heard about it.

An example to consider. You are having lunch with a co-worked who tells you she saw the Executive Vice-President of your company having sex with a summer intern. Before you go home that day you pass this onto your dept head and leave. You don't hear anymore about it so a week later you (1) do nothing assuming the proper procedures are being followed, or (2) go to the police and report the Ex Vice President for statury rape.

Paterno, as the person with the highest public profile, is being thrown under the bus to relieve the pressure on those above him.

If he was truly fired today without being able to finish the season I hope the student's of PSU boycot the game -- let them play it in an empty stadium.

I feel sorry for the boys who were victimized by Sandusky and I even feel a little sorry for Mike McQuery who could have stopped the whole thing the minute he saw what was happening - he had the first and best chance of all.

P.S. The profits from the football team subsidize the other sport's -- especially the Federally-mandated women's teams.

9. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I agree with DB, well said.

After reading that whole report, it seems to me that Paterno was the least involved in the whole deal. He reported it to his superiors, then those two talked to the assistant, and basically ignored his statements. From what Paterno said he was told, while any of this is serious, did not seem as detailed as what the assistant told the other two superiors. I think Paterno just did not want to get involved, as he had put the responsibilities on the two superiors. Where he failed is when the two did not report it to authorities, Paterno should have checked into the situation and done so himself. I am sure he is regreting it now, but would probably have had the same results back then. Even the janitors where at fault. Jon

10. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

Great Day for Penn State... PATERNO IS GONE!!!!!!!!!!

Oscar

11. dhip

dhip Active Member

Sad day for Penn State.Even after reading report,Paterno had nothing but Hear say to go with,even on this website,I've seen innocent people burned by hear say.He didn't see the event,the one that seen it should be punished along with the Higher members of the administration.MONEY wins again,not justice,The Board of Trustees are only worried about endorsements and money,using Paterno as a scape goat satisfies the LYNCH mobs and press.Only those with direct contact with the situation should be reprimanded.And those who suppressed further investigation,President,Dean Security,etc.Those that say he failed his MORAL obligation,where does repeating or supporting hear say equal Morality.Now if he denied anything during an investigation ,then I would agree,he just said what he knew was told to him(hearsay).Hear say burns way too many people because of the sensationalism that goes along with it.We that work in the public sector are always reminded that if you didn't see it,and don't have facts to back you up,don't start rumors beacuse of hearsay.Paterno handled it well as far as I'm concerned,until evidence that he had first hand knowledge or was a first hand witness,that's where I have to stand.Just as if anyone on here would start a rumor about someone on here,if I don't know first hand by experience,I still say innocent til proven guilty.I have to agree ,what about punishment for this so called assistant that had first hand knowledge and witnessed an event,why is he being protected,he should be the one you all should jump on and demand justice towards.

Doug H.

12. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

dhip - We don't know what information the Board of Trustees had do we?

13. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Trust me, it is all abouit money, not protecting the kids. College football is way out of hand

14. dhip

dhip Active Member

Nope,we don't,but trustees always side to the side where money comes from.Even Paterno can't fight that.Money talks,and we know what walks.

Doug H.

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Those thinking it is all about money should read this article by George Will -

"What it was, was football: College's vulgar race for TV revenue"

at link

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/will111011.php3

16. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

It's going to get WORSE!

http://www.nesn.com/2011/11/jerry-sandusky-rumored-to-have-been-pimping-out-young-boys-to-rich-donors-says-mark-madden.html

And the guy investigating Sandusky has been missing since 2005!!!

17. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Jerry the molester was reported to the Centre co. DA by the parents of 2 kids that were molested in 1998 and no charges were ever brought against him. How far up the command do you report, Pa. attorney general, maybe Eric Holder? When McQuery caught him he should have beaten the piss out of him.

18. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

From what I read, and I rfead it all, Joe Paterno reported it to the athletic director as he is supposed to. The athletic director then had the responsibility to see that ac tion was taken, not Joe Paterno.

It is like the military, you use the chain of command, when you jump the chain of command you are held responsible.

If I were in Joe Paterno's shoes I would have asked the Athletic Director what has been done, Now Joe may have asked, that we do not know.

When Joe Paterno has his say of whom and when he talked to his chain of command.

When Joe Paterno's news conference was called off by Penn States President, I felt that Joe Paterno had something to say that would have had drastic effect on the President of Penn State.

I won't lay judgement on Joe Paterno until I hear what he has to say as he was stopped from having a news Conference.

If only Tressel at OSU would have divulged his info to the Athletic Director Mr
    Smith, then again his resignation was turned into retirement, maybe the AD and Gordon Gee were hiding something, just maybe Tressel told Jim Smith the AD what was going on and the AD wanted that BOWL Money for OSU.

Money Talks and People Walk.

I also do not approve of a lot of the NCAA actions or in-actions and their prolonged investigations

This town is almost all PENN STATE UNIVERSITY.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

19. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

First, let me say that anyone, get that, anyone that sees a child being raped has a responsibility to stop it right then. Authorities(police) should have been called as well as notifying Paterno. Paterno had the responsibility to notify authorities(police) as well. In my opinion, the three(Sandusky, Mcquery and Paterno) of them are not much of a man to commit or condone sexual predators. At the very least, Paterno should have had Mcquery call the police himself. It's too late now as they are going to pay for their lack of character and it's not near enough for the suffering of those young boys. Jackie B.

20. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

As a Penn State grad and someone who played quarterback for them in 1967 I am saddened and sickened by these allegations.

There is so much blame to go around. Of course it starts with Sandusky but McQuery who is 6'3" and 230 pounds watched it happen??? Then reported it to his Dad and then to Paterno. If I see someone raping a 10 year old child I drop him on the spot and call 911.

Paterno, in a incredible act of selfishness, failed to follow this up?? The police, who had been informed through one of the mothers, also chose not to prosecute??

I think we are seeing the tip of the iceberg which is too horrible to even contemplate.

For all the good Paterno has done, and its measured in millions, he goes out in a blaze of shame.

Any monies realized by the football team should go to underprivileged and challenged children for at least a year and the chain of command, all that had knowledge and chose not to act, should see jail time and find out what its like to be sexually molested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.