1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Penetrating Oils - Interesting Test Results

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Some of you might appreciate this. Machinist's Workshop magazine tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts.

They are below, as forwarded by an ex-student and professional machinist, Bud Baker.
    They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ...................... 516 pounds

WD-40 ................... 238 pounds

PB Blaster ............... 214 pounds

Liquid Wrench ......... 127 pounds

Kano Kroil .............. 106 pounds

ATF-Acetone mix.......53 pounds

The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone. Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. Our local machinist group mixed up a batch and we all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

And I will bet that sperm oil will will better the ATF brew.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I buy Liquid Wrench by the gallon, that Sperm oil is only available one shot at a time around here ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. KRK32

KRK32 Member

The only wd40 is good for is removing that sticky stuff tape leaves behind when you tear it off. Kirk

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

Thanks for the great tip dverna!

6. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

I'll bet that ATF/Acetone mix would work on plastic wad residue in the barrel and choke too.

tom

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

"Ed's Red" is still mighty, mighty hard to beat for anything in/around guns, including as a penetrating oil.

I've thrown crusty 18th century gunlocks in a vibrating jewelry-cleaner of Ed's Red and in a couple of days ... perfection.

Between Ed's Red, Ballistol ... (and Hoppe's and Federal Papers for the proper aroma) what else can a gunroom need?

Bob

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

"I buy Liquid Wrench by the gallon, that Sperm oil is only available one shot at a time around here ... WPT ... (YAC) ..."

who do you get the shot from???? (lol couldn't help myself!)

tony

9. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I still have about 12 oz. of a pint can of sperm whale oil that I bought around 40 years ago. Trying to buy or sell it today would get you a substantial fine and or some time behind bars.

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dverna: Were any of these mixtures tested to see if they would do damage to blueing?

11. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Save the Whales !!!!

12. Mapper

Mapper Member

No one ever mentions Beaver Bolt Buster from Beaver Research here in Kalamazoo.
    It is an excellent penetrant, hone oiler, etc. Cool hats too. A Beaver Research hat gets instant recognition around the gun club.

13. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Save the Whales!

Collect the whole set!

HB

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Just keep this stuff off of a stock or plastic parts. The acetone will not be kind to them. Ed's Red is made of similar solutions. I think it has a little Mineral Spirits or Kerosene. I've used a similar mix to clean guns with, some years ago.

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

I've never had much luck with Liquid Wrench. Kroil has been able to help me on a number of occasions. Guess I'll brew up some of this new stuff and try it out.

16. dverna

dverna Active Member

Dave P

The test were done by a Machinist Mag. They did not evaluate the affect on blueing but I doubt any of the products would cause damage. Maybe test the underside of a gun barrel that is not that important to you (old .22?) If there is any affect it will be hidden and can be touched up easily.

Don Verna

17. joe blow

joe blow TS Member

Question. Acetone has a high evapration rate. You would have to mix and use right away. You could store it in a metal can.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought some Kroil because of all the hipe on here and I have to honestly say it is not what I expected. A can of wd40 works for less $$$

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beaver bolt buster

beaver bolt penetrating

beaver research bolt buster