1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Penalty Yardage?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wolf172, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Well unfortunately I didnn't get to make the shoot in Amarillo so I still have not competed in an ATA event. Was looking into going to San Antonio in a couple of weeks. My question is this: I will have to shoot penalty yardage (22 yds I think) if I get to go. Say I got really lucky and shot whatever it is that gets you "punched". Since my ATA card says I am a 20 yard shooter would I then have to shoot from the 21 or the 23? Would that new yardage be at that venue only on that day or at every event I shot at? Just curious.

David

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If you get punched from penalty yardage, that is your new home from then on until you either gain more yardage or get a reduction(after 1000 targets you would be reviewed). It happens too. It's all in the Rule Book.

3. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Thats kinda what I thought and would make the most sense. Shot a 94 from the 22 the other day. First time I really shot and kept score from there. Would this do any good at any of the shoots or do you still have to break 100's straight?

David

4. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

If you shoot well enough to get punched from penalty, congratulations! You deserved it! If your worried about losing 'sandy bagger' status, shoot targets only at your current yardage. You will still get punched, but, you won't win anything.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

A 94 is a pretty good score in Handicap. It depends on the shoot and weather conditions but it usually takes a 95 or better to have much chance at winning overall or yardage group. At least what I observe anyway.

6. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

"If your worried about losing 'sandy bagger' status, shoot targets only at your current yardage. You will still get punched, but, you won't win anything."

BigM. Not sure what this means exactly. If I were to get punched to the 23 I would have to shoot from the 23 corrrect? If I were to continue to shoot from the 20 and unable to win anything what would be the point? Again just curious.

7. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

grtitan, I have only shot 100 rounds consecutively from the 22 a couple of times. Think I broke like something like a 92 the first time. Have shot 50's from the 22 a few times with scores like 46 to 48. Funny thing (or frustrating lol) was I shot a 93 from the 16 just before shooting the 94 from the 22. Go figure.

David

8. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Not interested in sandbagging or getting to the 27 in record breaking speed. The only reason I have joined the ATA is to shoot against other people and seeing how I stack up against other shooters. And to win a buckle if possible. Wondering how I "stack up" meaning...is a 94 from handy cap yardage pretty good or do 98 percent of the people I will be shooting with shoot 95 or better therefore rendering me in the lowest 2% while incorrectly thinking I may have a knack for this. Would like to win a buckle just cuz they look purdy.

David

9. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Wolf172 A 94 capps is a fairly good score, but in the bigger shoots it almost always takes a 100,99 or 98. I hit a 98 last year at the cardinal shoot in ohio. So I go get my gun,shells and head to shoot offs. Guess what 3-100 and a half dozen 99's. A 98 got me a punch to the 25 and nothing more. Put my gun away and went home. LOL

10. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Space Gun, Thats what I figured. LOL This seems to be a game of perfection...or very dang near it. User1, While man-cave decor would be pretty cool I cannot help but try to break every target that is thrown to me. I don't think I am going to aquire chunks of yardage any time soon. And after searching and reading about the sandbagging (and some other remarks that I have read) there is much much much to be learned about this sport and the mindset of the participants. LOL

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

You take the "punch" from whatever yardage you actually shot and then the new punched yardage is your assigned yardage until you either get punched again or get a reduction. 94 is a good handicap score, depending on the shoot and shooting conditions it might or might not get a punch. At a large shoot it seldom would, at a smaller shoot it often will.

12. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

If it would get you a punch could it win any money if you were playing any options...or a buckle? Guess I am just gonna have to go and enter and see what happens. Will probably get nervous and shoot an 88. LOL. Have done that pretty regular is the past.

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

It might.........OTOH it might not?

14. Squad13

Squad13 TS Member

I'll be at this Shoot also...THis is the TTA Zone V shoot.

Tony

15. Neal Crausbay

Neal Crausbay Member

Don't worry about shooting from penalty yardage like 22 yards. In the past, new shooters were issued a card punched 22 yards and it had 'temporary' stamped across it's face and after shooting 1000 handicap targets and IF you didn't earn any yardage while doing so, you were sent a new card punched for the 20. Many new shooters would earn a punch from the temporary 22 and would never shoot from 20.

As to your score of 94, what was the high score in that event? That is what you want to compare it to. Each event has it's own weather conditions that bear on the scores. I once shot a handicap in bad windy, dark conditions and missed so many targets that I lost count. Stopped by the club house on the way out to look and see what my score was so I could write it on my card and when I found my name on the score sheet on the wall there was a red pin stuck beside it. There was such a crowd in front of the board you couldn't see the names and score very well but someone turned and said 'that's the high score' when I asked about the pin. It was an 84 and it won the event with around 100 shooters in the event.

You might keep in mind that even though you want to win the event, there are trophies and sometimes other awards for second or third and sometimes on down.

Additionally, your payoff can really depend on how you break your score. Let's say you were nervous and missed 8 out of the first 50 but calmed down and ran the last 50. A 92 shot with a 50 straight is much better than a 92 shot with 4 23s if you played the 50's along with the total.

Good luck.

Neal Crausbay

16. Wolf172

Wolf172 Member

Neil, the 94 was just shooting at the club with other guys. It was not an event and I really dont know what anyone else shot. Its one of VERY few times I have shot 100 targets from the 22. Usually have only shot 50 and then everyone want to go back to the 16. Have shot 25 straight from the 22 a couple of times and a couple of 48's but never 50 in a row. I am going to start splitting my practice say....100 from the 16, 100 from the 22, and 2 rounds of doubles. Have not shot probably 3 rounds of doubles in my life. And the ones I did was a waste of ammo. LOL

David

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

in trap if you win from a penalty yardage

penalty yardage