1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Penalty Yardage Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I was reading the thread on the Kreighoff Challenge winner and it mentioned that Sr. Vets don't have to shoot penalty yardage? Can anyone enlighten me as to why a Sr. Vet shouldn't be required to shoot the 1,500 targets required to avoid the penalty yardage but everyone else should have to?

2. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Respect your elders. ;-)

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Is there a "real" question that requires an answer?

Curt

4. Bob M

Bob M Member

The Senior Vet - no penalty statement is on page 15 of the condensed PSSA shoot program.

http://www.pssatrap.org/2011-program/Condensed2011Program.pdf

5. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

With the exception of State or Satellite Grand shoots, our club, the Dollar, usually doesn't penalize new shooters. I think the idea is that they want to encourage newer shooters to try Registered.

Hard to get a new shooter to stay with it when he has to start at 23 to 25 yards for caps and A or B class for singles and doubles.

I really think that's fine. I have seen very few "Target Managers" walk on to shoot Registered at my Club-actually none. My friend's son did shoot 100 straight in Singles about the third or fourth time he shot, but he was no 'bagger, he was just young and paid attention to the fundamentals.

Bob

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"Hard to get a new shooter to stay with it when he has to start at 23 to 25 yards for caps and A or B class for singles and doubles. "

This is what I would think also. You want to promote new interest rather than punish it with penalty yardage. But I also understand the idea of penalty yardage to prevent people from only shooting a few registered shoots per year for the money and using the lack of penalty yardage/classes to their advantage.

"As to why shoot management gives a group of people a break - have you considered the physical infirmities and limitations that come on to many people who are over 70 years of age? have you thought about the many years of shooting and trapclub support these people have done and provided thru the years?"

There's no doubt that many of the Sr. Vet shooters have shot for a very long time. This still doesn't explain why they still wouldn't need the same minimums as anyone else. The physical limitations may prevent an elder shooter from reaching the 27, etc. but I don't see why it would prevent a shooter from shooting 7-8 handicap events per season. Isn't this also why they have a Sr. Vet category?

If this is a form of rewarding them for their support throughout the years I'm sure there are many shooters who are less than 70 that have shot as long as or longer than many Sr. Vets who currently shoot. Competition is competition, you wouldn't think there would be any rewards for the length of time a shooter has been participating, maybe just the opposite.

I'm not raising these questions to start an argument or anything similar, I'm just genuinely interested in the thought process that was taken to create these rules.

7. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

What the min. target requirement at only shoots? NY and PA are both 1,500 so I assumed this was standard?

8. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The purpose of minimum target requirements is not to punish shooters who haven't shot much. It's to ensure that good shooters don't have an unfair advantage simply because they haven't shot enough in their careers to get punched back.

That's much less likely for a senior vet who's over 70. I bet you could have figured that out if you were as old and smart as us senior vets.

9. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Rich, When you reach 70, You will understand. 1oldtimer

10. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Come on, give us Senior Vets a break! It is hard enough sometimes for us to break targets at, say 20 yards, let alone 25 yards!

In my case between arthritis in both shoulders and rotator cuff problems, it sometimes is difficult to raise the gun 100 times for an event! In other words I don't get to shoot as much as I would like!

Allen

11. Simone

Simone TS Member

The ATA is developing a “customer is always right” attitude to increase participation in the sport. This senior vet giveaway and allowing people to shoot at 18 and 19 yards are demeaning to the sport.

12. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

In Iowa the only folks that have minimum requirments are not catagory shooters

"Minimum target requirements must be shot before Wednesday, July 20,
    2011. Exceptions - Ladies, Veterans, Sr. Veterans, Juniors and Sub-Juniors"

13. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'm all for taking age into consideration, but allowing someone to just show up and shoot for major titles or large purses at the 20 w/o ANY history of ability makes no sense. Maybe have reduced minimums, or reduced penalties for Sr Vets, but letting someone just walk out at 20 yards in a big event is not reasonable to me.

I won't be one of them, but some guys are still doing pretty good at that age. You get a lot of money on the line, and it would be worthwhile for some older shooters from other shooting sports to just step in at 20 yards.

14. 9point3

9point3 Well-Known Member

Shouldn't those who are not penalized take offense because the shoot management considers them a non-factor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.