1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Penalty question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dcb_wvu, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

got a question regarding penalties. I am a new shooter, just started in March 09. I am attending teh WV state shoot this weekend and it appears that I will be penalized. I have 1100 singles, 1000 handicap and 700 doubles; with averages of 91, 20 yards (avg. 88), and 81. The program says they require 500 targets for this year and 1000 for last year, otherwise you are penalized at Class A, 25 yd, Class A.

Is this the case or do I get to shoot in class (as per average) since I do not have, and could not have had any last year targets? Just curious, I am going to shoot anyway just wanted to know how far down the score sheet to find myself.

dcb

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

dcb- Read the program with care. I have not seen it, but typically a minimum required targets would be something like 1000 targets for last year and this year, with 500 in the current year.

Pat Ireland

3. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Pat,

Yep, that's what it says. I was just wondering since there was no way to have any from last year, that perhaps that requirement would/could be waived. I understand why it is there though, gotta keep the sandbaggers honest. thanks.

4. jhoward

jhoward Member

dcb, I think you are misunderstanding. I believe that you only need 1000 total targets, last year and this year combined, with at least 500 being shot this year. So with the totals you listed above you should not have to shoot penalty. If I were you I'd go to the ATA website, find the WVA delegate and either send him an email or give him a call to be sure.

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

dcb_wvu as jhoward say if you need further information I have included a web address to the contact person for the club and the ATA delegate for WV explain the confusion you have and they should be more than happy to tell what your requirements are.

Bob Lawless

6. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

That more than the Grand and Souther Zone require ??? WHY ???

7. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Jack -

That is not more than the Grand. The Grand is 1000 in the current target year. WV is requiring 1000 combined in 2009/2008 TY with only 500 in the 09 TY.

Scott

8. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Scott, that's the way I read it. I posed the question to the WV delegate via email and voice mail too. I totally see the reason for doing it this way, but a jump to the 25 when I am just getting used to my own yardage is a bit rough. Not to mention that I load for up there too (all 8's). Hopefully the wind will be down and all will work out.

Thanks for the info, at least next year I will have plenty of targets!

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

dcb- First, I like your attitude. You have decided that if that is the way it is, you will shoot and do your best. That's great. Let us know what Kent Martin tells you (WVA delegate and my friend). If you are reading the program correctly, it is a little strange.

Pat Ireland

10. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

thanks, Pat. Gotta save your energy for the things you can change, like maybe not shooting behind those hard lefts. Darn those things. I just wanted to prepare myself and know what to expect. I only walk past the 25 yards line to head on up front. On a positive note, if I get penalized, at least I can squad up with my Western PA buddies who all stand at the way back! And if I do well enough, I might just get "stuck" back there. Heck of a way to get a 5 yard boost, but I am sure it has happened before.

Anyway, thanks for the info and hope to see a good turnout in Wellsburg.

11. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

DCB -

Why do you think you will be shooting penalty? If it's 1000 in the past 2 TY and 500 in the current TY your target totals would qualify for for singles and handicap.

Scott

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Most of the places don't enforce the penalty if you're not playing the money.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

dcb- don''t worry about using #8s from the 25 yd line ( if that is where they place you), they will break targets just fine!

14. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Hard to say without reading the program to see exactly how it's worded but.......with 1100 sgls, 1000 hncp & 700 dbls targets in the current year I doubt you'll have to shoot "penalty".

John C. Saubak

15. Rick (Pa)

Rick (Pa) TS Member

Here is what the book says.
    Minimum/current year 500 500 500

minimum/last two years
    and current year 1500 1500 1000

Penalty yardage will be waived for shooters having insufficient targets
    of record if they wish to shoot for "targets only" those shooters will be
    ineligible for trophies and monies.

16. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Rick, you are spot on. Kent Martin, the WV delegate, got back to me this evening. While he admits it may be a near kick in the teeth, I do need the targets in all disciplines, the originals I talked about up top. I do have the option of shooting from the 20 yard line in handicap but for targets only, no monies. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.