1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet Rifle, Which is Best?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by maclellan1911, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I went through this sometime ago. You really need to set a price. I was turned onto a web site featureing some very nice air pistols, where talking 1800.00+ up to 50cal. Maybe someone remembers the web site

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Check out the web site above. Click on Products & Features, then read the guides and the "our take" test results. If you have the budget, check out Theoben rifles.

3. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

Gamo.com

They have some nice guns also. Norm

4. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

what range do you expect to shoot this small game at? and what small game in particular?

regards from Iowa

Gene

5. DJM

DJM Member

If you are willing to spend $450 I recomment the RWS Model 54 side cocking model. They are the darndest thing to shoot. Some kind of opposing spring system makes for zero recoil. At 30 ft. shooting into a pellet trap in the basement with open sights you can make one hole 3 shot groups with the .177 cal version.

6. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

Check out http://www.pyramydair.com

RWS,Air Arms and Gamo all make nice springers.

PG

7. Questor

Questor TS Member

I have an RWS 46 and it is a good gun. One caveat about RWS is that actual velocities are significantly lower than published velocities. For example, published for the 46 is 950fps. Chronographed velocity is under 800fps.

Beeman guns are top quality and published velocities match actuals very closely. And they have good repair service if you ever should need it.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I second the vote for RWS - excellent rifles. The top of the line Gamo is a good one too. I really prefer the higher velocity rifles, 1,000+FPS matched up with the new PBA ammo they are very accurate and have serious knockdown power for a little .17 air rifle. We scoped ours and it is a lot of fun to shoot. No more pigeons!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a RWS, very powerful and accurate but the scope kept moving from the recoil.

10. cementman

cementman Member

Beeman R10 .177 caliber air rifle like new in box with paperwork, shot less than 100 rounds, no marks on metal or wood. The R10 is known as the "son of the R1" with slightly less weight and easier cocking mechanism(do Google on the R10 for more info). Target included showing groupings less than 1/2 inch for 5 shots at 30 yards. This is a tackdriver. Priced at $295.00 plus shipping from Michigan. Have RWS 450 3x9 scope brand new in box at $110.00 and complete RWS cleaning kit, never opened at $20.00, both plus shipping

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I think I've had nearly every airgun mentioned. The most accurate was the Beeman R-9-.20 Cal. That gun shot in one hole all day. My latest addition is a Beeman R-1 in .22 Cal. Real nice gun that kills crows and squirrels with authority and is fairly accurate.

I've had nearly every RWS from the Model 24 on up and was never satisfied with their performance. Side lever guns seem cumbersome and hard to handle while I've had two of their air rifle scopes shoot apart. Their recoiless model was my worst shooting nightmare. Good warranty service whenever needed.

If you want to kill get no less than a .20 cal although I'm stuck on the .22. Stay away from the .25 as pellet selection is poor. .177 cal. pellets tend to zip right through your target animal with insufficient effect!!

12. sammyd95

sammyd95 TS Member

I have 2 RWS,they are super !

13. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I have a Beeman (might be a 124?) barrel cocking in .177 cal. It kicks a lot less than the more powerful RWS my son has. My Beeman chronographs at 950 fps. The flat nose pellets (Silver Bear?) do a good job on chipmunks and woodpeckers (I live in a log home).

Be sure to get a quality air rifle scope. One built sturdy enough to take the recoil and with a parallax adjustment for close range shooting. Do not try to sight in the spring type air rifles from a sandbag rest. They will print very differently hand held compared to a rest. Must be the shock from the spring (rebound?).

Jim Skeel

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Don't know what you call accurate, but with the iron sights and 73 year old eyes, mine prints 1/2" groups at 50 ft. It is a ChiCom barrel cocker that I bought at a flea market for $25. It is too powerful for pesky cats...goes right thru them, but works good on possums.

15. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

A guy with your talent should be able to kill them with a sling shot.

Happy New year, Shannon

16. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

oleolliedawg, check out this URL for a neat upgrade for Your R1. Sweet.

17. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

take a look.

18. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

19. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Twice! And no fair cheating and dropping the .177 unit in your .22. That is most certainly unfair! At least to whatever you hit with it.

20. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PerazziBigBore: is right on, My old 40+ year old Sherdian my dad bought me still works perfect. I once chrno'ed it and averaged 720fps. Deadly on any small game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.