1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet energy vs hole size

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by luvtrapguns, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

It's a cold morning and no shoot to go to ultil tomorrow sooooo

We have all seen clay targets that have one or more holes punched through them but did not break (LOST!). As discussed in another post, if we consider going to a smaller size pellet, reduced load (7/8 or 1 oz vs 1 1/8oz) and higher velocity, should we be concerned not only with the pellet energy but also the size hole a pellet punches through the target? While a faster, smaller pellet may have equal energy to a larger, slower pellet, what about the actual energy tranfered to the target? Would not a smaller pellet traveling faster be more likely to punch a smaller hole through the target without breaking it and as such not transfer all it's energy to the target?

I'm sure under current rules there is a load that performs better than all the rest, but after 40yrs of shooting and reloading I'm still not sure what that load is. Marc

2. romie

romie Active Member

Here we go!

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Ever see what a BB does to a glass window? Nice little cone shaped indent.

It the BB's did not puncture the bird maybe some pieces would come off? Or would the BB's bounce off leaving only a little dust?

Maximum energy transfer cannot happen if a pellet punches through

Oh well. I still feel better using 7 1/2's or 8's. Just dumb I guess.

Don Verna

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Just get the scorer a stronger pair of glasses. That way he will see the little pieces. HMB

5. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

<I>"If trapshooters spent more time worrying about shot placment, instead of shot size, they would break more targets."</I>

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!!!

6. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I told you it was a cold day with nothing better to do. WHAT, ME WORRY? (LOL)
    Marc

7. trw

trw Member

OK, I'll take the bait, for a moment anyway.

I'll relate a story told me by a AAA class skeet shooter from some yrs back when the highest 'class' was AA. This gentleman happens to be a very fine shot period, inclusive of trap & other games. Another famous & very fine shot was about to start a .410 event & then thot to excuse himself & went back to his car to change shells just before the event started. The gentleman telling me this said that he posted a very good score, but not quite as good as the other fella who won the event & when it was over asked him about changing his shells. The winner told him that the cartridges he shot were loaded w/#7.5's & he switched because he had proven to himself that when it was cool or cold & the humidity was up or it had been raining recently [that was the case here] that the targets absorbed some of the moisture from the air & were harder to break because of it & that he was much more likely to get a chip using #7.5's than #9's.
    FWIW, it really wasn't possible to get a full 1/2oz. of shot in those 2.5" .410 paper hulls in those days [say model 42 2.5" skeet gun], most were carrying about 3/8oz of shot [!!] & with #7.5's the interstices are larger than w/#9's.

You guys be your own judge, I'm just relating the story. And they do bake the targets when making them, ya know;-)

BTW, I've met a lot of really fine folks thru this forum & would like to say thank you to each & all of you for that.

kind regards, tw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.