1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pellet Count or Speed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by $$$SHTR, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Getting ready to load up this years worth of shells for singles and the first shot of doubles. Last year I loaded 1200fps 1oz of reclaimed. Seemed to me the shell kicked harder than I had imagined it would. Looking at the loading books, I'm wondering if I should go to the 1 1/8th oz of reclaimed at 1090fps. I use a full choke 3200 for the first shot in doubles and a 19 thousands restriction Ljutic Monogun for the singles. So, which is better, pellet count or speed for singles or first shot in doubles??

Tomas

2. dverna

dverna Active Member

Full choke for first shot of doubles???? Why? What choke for the second shot?

If 1 oz at 1200 fps has too much recoil you need to have the gun fit to you or get a semi-auto. My gf shoots that load in a BT-99 and she is not a "big girl".

Don Verna

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

If your goal is reduced recoil then 1 oz. @ 1090 would be best. Why go with 1 1/8 oz. when you have been using 1 oz.?

4. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

For pure simplicity and efficiency, try 1 oz. @ 1150 fps for both shots. Try it, you just might like it. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I'm with Ruble. The diff in recoil with the extra 1/8 oz lead and 10% more speed is significant.

6. $$$SHTR

$$$SHTR Member

Don,

I didn't say the 1 oz at 1200fps was too much for me, just more than I had expected. The Remington 3200 came from the factory choked full and full. I've never had any luck with any of the after market gurus working on my guns, so I left it alone. I refuse to have choke tubes installed in a good gun.

Think I'll try the 1 oz at 1145fps.

Thanks everyone,

Tomas

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Or you could use two shells for doubles. One slower,one faster. Myself,I would add some weight to the stock. I know some folks will tell you; the gun has to be perfectly balanced, if I shoot gun up, it doesn't matter at all. If I shoot gun down, it matters................GOOD LUCK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.