1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelican or Other Hard Travel Case for K80 TS Combo

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bluedsteel, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Has anyone found a usable travel case that will hold a Krieghoff K80 Trap Special Combo? The Americase is nice, but I am not sure I want it dropped on concrete by a baggage handler.

I have been looking at the wheeled Pelican cases (I think the model I looked at was the 1750), but I am not sure the Trap Special Combo will fit safely inside this case. As you know, the TS Combo is a relatively tall package when broken down, especially when the barrels are placed on their side.

I want to find a case that will specifically withstand airline travel.

Maybe there is no such thing...

Any successful experiences with a particular case would be helpful.

Thanks.

bluedsteel

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anything over the Pelican 1700 will get whacked for oversize baggage fees (which are not small).

3. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Skeetman;

Interesting. I didn't think about that. I see the Pelican 1700 is 35.75" in length...the unsingle barrel is 34"...might be too tight to provide drop protection. I am also not sure the 1700's 13.5" height will hold the combo...

Thanks.

bluedsteel

4. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The foam is cut so the barrels will fit within the foam providing excellent lateral stability and the inside width is 36"... you can also cut so that the stock and barrels run diagonal to give more leeway... I also cut a small square to provide room for accessories (tubes, wrench etc...)

Take some paper and create a template equal to the internal dimensions and lay out your barrels and stock what can work...

regards,

Jay

5. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I probably need to create the template, then take it with me to the dealer and see if the it will work with the case....

bluedsteel

6. medic23

medic23 Member

bluedsteel,
    Here are some links to videos on You-Tube that show the Pelican 1720 cases with various setups in them as well as a video on how to shape/place your equipment and how to cut the foam. It just depends on how smart you are in your placement of the barrels and stock in the case. Also, are there any current or former military persons on this site who have used the cases in places that are a little more hostile than a baggage hold?:)
    Regards,
    Ben M.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw4oueYrcnk&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVfPK3F084&feature=player_detailpage

7. RAScott

RAScott Member

Maybe this will help

Bob S

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Pelican carries my Ljutic 73 (33" bbl) and my Superposed 30" O/U with room to spare. Don't know if a 35" bbl will fill but a 34" would be no problem...

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Our military is using Pelican cases for their equipments.

I have two Pelican cases survived multiple trips to Africa, one of the case got dropped from a loading truck in pouring rain, then a 300 lb wooden crate landed on it, to my and everyone's surprise, my two scoped rifles were not damaged, not even a trace of water inside the case.

Other than almost indestructible, they are a lot cheaper too.

10. LI

LI TS Member

I bought a Starlight case through Bob Schultz for flying with my Trap Special. I have the regular ribs, not the higher Pro ones. The case is an SC-061338; get the high density foam, also the wheel kit, stand, and handle. It is a little heavy but very secure. I like my Americase for the truck/MH, but after seeing a few broken after flying switched to the Starlight for any airline travel. Larry

11. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I have a Pelican case, but for airline travel, I use a Cabella's alum double case. It was $169.00 and I have travelled to Texas and back a couple of times with it...no problems.

JON

12. B.C.

B.C. Member

some guys are using golf club cases !

13. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

ljutic73;

Your case sounds large enough for the combo...what model is it? 1700, 1720...?

bluedsteel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.