1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelican Gun Cases

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Greg LV, Apr 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Does anyone have experience with Pelican gun cases good or bad?

2. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

Pelican cases are heavy, ugly and probably IMHO the best travel case sold.

Lifetime Guarantee, my advice get one with wheels.

I opted for the 1720, $199.97 shipped from Amazon.

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Great if you are worried about your gun getting wet. I like heavy cases only for commercial airline travel. They are great if you want to pack one of teh heavy suckers.

Unless you are going on a rafting trip or on a commercial airliner there is no reason for such a heavy case. Pelicans are waterproof and when I have to put my gun in the back of a truck on a hunting trip without a canapy I use my Pelican. I have an Americase I use for airline travel ( not that I do a bunch of it). These are just overkill unless you need it for a specific pupose. If you are looking for a case to go back and forth from the gunclub or to the shoots you can get a nice case that is far lighter and will serve your purpose for far less money.

If bigger and heavier was always better Miss America would weigh 300 pounds.

I got a 3 from a guy for 40 bucks at a garage sale. When they have the foam in them and you are shipping delicate items they are great but they are overkill for going back and forth from teh club. Unless you just like hauling around heavy shit. If that is the case you should get two. Jeff

4. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

I was thinking mostly of airline travel. We have family in Phoenix and I tired of rental guns. And wanted to try getting mine there in one piece.

5. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Pelican is the way to go. I ordered one for my O/U today. I'll post pics Monday or Tuesday once I get it custom cut for my stuff.

6. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

That would be great thanks Rich

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

For airline travels, including to and from Africa, Pelican case is probably the safest way to go. It's much stronger than Americase and about the same weight.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

I've used one for almost 20 years...and yes it's heavy, ugly and the best case on the planet IMHO....

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use the Pelican takedown case with wheels... Browning Travel Vault... best damn case made... plain jane - yes, but the first few scratches and scuffs from the airlines give it character... you'll never have regrets.

Foam is easy to cut with an electric knife and you can cut small areas for additional accessories - buy a travel case once, for life.

Jay

10. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

Which foam is better the standard or the pick and place?

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

The solid foam, the pick and pluck sucks. Get the solid foam and then custom cut it for your items.

12. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

great pics you guys

13. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I don't think it's ugly. Looks pretty cool to me.

stevew_2008_0303128.jpg

14. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mine was built pre-roller wheel time...still love it...

15. Greg LV

Greg LV Member

That case does look cool also looks like it will protect a high grade shot gun well.

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I have a ton of experience with Pelican cases. I bought the 1720 for airline travel.
    100_2462.jpg

Plenty of room for two guns or one gun, and some gear. I wouldn't want to use it for everyday stuff, but for travel you can't find a better case.

Not only is it indestructible, but it doesn't look like a gun case. So, when it ends up sitting in the baggage claim for whatever reason, it doesn't shout, "Hey! I've got a gun in here!" This makes all things related to travel much easier.

I work for the US Air Force. We use these cases for everything from equipment storage to tool boxes. No one is harder on their equipment except maybe Marines, and they use Pelican cases too. I've seen these cases dropped of the back of trucks, tossed out of airplanes, kicked, slammed, and just plain handled like crap. Even after all that, the stuff inside is well protected.

The Americase style cases are great, but they will dent, and are not water proof. At twice the price, I don't see the extra value.

You can't get the "pick-n-pluck" foam for the 1720 so, that's not an issue. Even if you could, the solid foam that you cut yourself is better.

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Another option is to order one without foam, and use one of the boyt takedown cases to hold your gun. That leaves you with a little extra room to jam some clothes or shooting gear (maybe your shell pouch and glasses) for added cushion. That was my plan when flying to the World Skeet last year, but a friend had a tuffpak that we doubled up in that worked well. Another friend flew with us with an americase and didn't have any issues, but I've heard horror stories about them falling apart under abusive conditions.

18. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I got my iM3100 in today and got my templates cut. I have to finish rigging together a hot wire cutter and should have the case done by tomorrow night (I hope).

rich219_2009_250868.jpg

19. Hokie Bird

Hokie Bird Member

Rastoff and others, how do you cut the foam with such precision? Spitter mentioned an electric knife but I'm not sure what is meant by that.
    I plan on purchasing the 1750 model and was unsure about how to cut the foam.
    Any help would be appreciated?

Thanks
    Frank

20. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Hokie,

Buy or build a hot wire cutter. It will slice through the foam like a hot knife in butter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.