1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelican Case question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GBatch_25, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I've been looking at the Pelican case Model 1700 with foam inserts.

If anyone here has purchased one of these, is the foam insert the kind that is already cut and you can shape to the gun or article you wish to place in the case?

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

2. markc2

markc2 Member

You can get it with no foam or solid foam. The solid you will have to custom cut. They are phenomenal cases. Waterproof and air tight; almost indestructable.

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You can also get pick-n-pluck, which the foam is already cut into maybe 1/2" cubes, and you just pull out what you need to.

4. cafowler

cafowler Member

Gene,

It's fairly easy to cut it to fit. There's actually 3 layers in the case, you trace your gun/barrels on the middle layer when it's flat in the case and then pick it up and cut with an Exacto or however your prefer. I found some similar thickness foam at a local fabric shop, so I have one middle layer for my OU and one for two Semi-auto's when traveling for duck hunting, mine and a buddy's so we only pay for one bag cost and gun permit when in certain places to the north.

Don't forget the Pelican cases have a lifetime warranty. If the case ever fails, send it back to them with a check for the return shipping cost and they will replace the case with a new one. Great customer service I think.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

cafowler:

I've tried cutting foam with everything and found an electric carving knife works best. Even with that, it never looks as good as when a pro does it. Xacto knives and such always left uneven or ragged edges, likely due to my lack of patience and skill. <:)

I may follow up on Ian's post about 'pick 'n pluck foam'. There are some websites that have it.

Thx guys.

Gene

6. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Use a razor blade knife and and take your time with the pick and pluck foam. The range/field case I use works great, but cosmetically not up to what I like.

The pluck foam comes unglued easily from surrounding blocks when pulling on it and consequently I have experienced in a couple case the tearing of blocks which I did not wish to be removed.

This was my first case for equipment that I have set up, I have other cases for types of equipment and those cuts went much smoother. I now use a scalple type thin blade and cut through the foam before I attempt to pluck. It works much better than just plucking.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Gene:

Avoid the "pick & pluck"... it doesn't hold up as well... I found that the cubes appear to "loosen" up over time as the cubes move against each other - never had any damage, but got me thinking... (lol)

Using the solid foam, I took a piece of chalk and drew an outline around my Superposed and SBTs, then slowly cut inside the outline using a carving knife as you mentioned - the solid foam fully encapsulates the guns, but over time will give a small bit, but lasts far better - I also cut a small rectangle in an "open" area for accessories...

Just my experience...

Jay Spitz

8. Mike

Mike Member

I've had mine a long time. I use it on hunting trips. I pack my gun in my clothing and it saves me a piece of luggage to carry. Never had any broken contents. Mik

9. Release Trigger

Release Trigger Member

Gene,

Have been using Pelican 1700 cases for some years now, used the solid foam and had it cut by guys at rubber outlet store (called Clark rubber down here).

Praying you are responding well to your ongoing treatment.

Regards, Gary Kennerson....Sydney Australia.

releasetrigger_2008_03031.jpg

releasetrigger_2008_03032.jpg

10. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I've never done it on anything bigger than the foam in camera case (Pelican) but what I did was stick in in the freezer until it became hard enough not to bend easily and then I used an electric craving knife to cut it. I got nice clean and even cuts and it looks and works great.

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

Gary:
    Were you at the Grand? If so, I missed you and wish we could have shared a pint together.

Your cases make the foam lining look great and really do justice to the guns.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I don't think the 'Pick-N-Pluck' foam is available for the 1700 anyway. It's not hard to cut the foam. Just use a new razor bade. Besides, are you trying to win a foam cutting contest or protect your valuable gun? A little jagged foam cut is a small price to pay for the protection you get from a Pelican case.
    100_2462.jpg

13. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Even though it is my personal opinion that every gun worth having deserves an Americase, I would like to bring up a reminder about foam. It is not good to long term store a gun in the foam cases. They are fine for carrying, but if you leave them in the case for several months, the oils and foam will react and discolor the bluing and sometimes the stock finish. This does not seem to happen with cloth, but I still keep my guns out of the cases for storage.

When I first got a safe, there was room for my guns to be stored in the hard cases, it seems that somehow my safe shrunk, I am still trying to figure that one out....

14. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Why does everyone put their guns in the case so when you close the case and carry it by the handle the barrel is resting on the rib and the receiver & stock are over the barrels.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Bill,

While many do, not everyone does.

Jay

16. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I never thought about it. Do you think it will damage the gun? Rib? The way the foam is cut the receiver doesn't put much pressure on the barrels so, I don't think that's an issue.

For the record, when I cut the foam to add my Ljutic, I cur it exactly the other way. So, at least for that gun, the barrel is under the rib and the receiver is below the barrel.

Even so, the case is rarely carried by the handle in the middle. It has two wheels on the short end. I usually roll it everywhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.