1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pelican Case cutting foam???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by himejim, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. himejim

himejim Member

I just bought a Pelican #1750 Case for my K-80 Trap Special. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures for how to cut the foam for my barrels, forend and stock/receiver?

Thanks............Jim

2. Tracer

Tracer Member

The guys down at the foam place use a saber saw with a fine tooth blade to

cut the foam that I buy.

Del

3. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Jim,

You don't happen to be around NY do you? If so I have a foam cutting setup you can use. If not here is how I do it.

1. Outline your gun parts onto cardboard.

[​IMG]

2. Layout cardboard cut out onto your foam and pin in place with pins, etc.

3. Use a knife to cut a slit through the foam and thread the wire through the foam.

4. Slowly trace the cardboard outlines with your foam cutter.

5. Once they are cut out cut the cut outs to depth so your parts set "flush" with the top layer of foam.

6. Final result!

[​IMG]

4. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Here is what I use. It cost me around $25 to build. This cuts clean lines and doesn't melt the foam.

Chad

5. himejim

himejim Member

Thank you Rich and Tracer. Unfortunately, I am in WI. I have a high rib combo so I need room for two barrels and I was thinking of standing the barrels up so that they take up less room but they are taller than the foam I am cutting. I wonder if this is OK or not. Sure do not want to hurt the ribs in any way. If I lay them on their side, how muck room do I need between the items to be sure that they do not hit each other? Thanks..........Jim

6. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

If you insist on standing them up I would glue the top and middle layers of foam together so your ribs will set just beneath the top layer of foam.

You usually want around a minimum of 1" between parts to prevent any chance of them damaging them together.

7. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Do you need to cut the foam? Will the guns stay put if you just put 'em in there and close the lid? -JFW

8. himejim

himejim Member

The foam needs to be cut or the lid will not close...........Thanks all Jim

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Lay out your barrels, butt and forearm... if you want a small open area for misc. chokes, glasses rag, etc... keep that in mind as you lay out the pieces.

Take a piece of chalk and outline each piece, slightly smaller than the piece itself. I used, as recommended, an electric carving knife... like "butta"

Takes 10 mins tops...

Jay

10. zzoom

zzoom Member

You have a PM

11. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I have an electric foam cutting hot blade. If you would like to borrow it PM me with your address and I will get it right out to you. Mike.

12. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

Like spitter says, use an electric carving knife or electric filet knife.

13. himejim

himejim Member

Thanks to all for the offers and ideas. I am leaving for Tucson tomorrow so I cut the foam and am all set to go. I hope the United Airline comes through for me.................Jim

14. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

If I can steal this thread for a second - where can a fella "buy" the foam like in this case ? I have an empty case I would like to add foam to.

15. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

bluesky,

the above web site is where I get mine.

Chad

16. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I use an electric carving knife and it cuts foam like butter. I trace outline with a marks a lot.

If you leave the gun in the case you will have round circles where the foam touches the barrel and I guess pulls the oil out.

I covered my foam with gun case material I get from same place as wife gets her material. I used spray adhesive to attach.

I paid more for the material and cans of adhesive than I did for the case.

It is for a gun put together and would sell for $50.00 and shipping. It also has a place for shells and parts. Is made of plastic with holes molded in for locks. Ray

17. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Chad,
    thanks for the website. sooo .... which foam on that website ... would be like the foam in the pics of this thread ? Brian

18. build4u

build4u Member

I use an electic filet knife with a seratted blade quite a bit and it works great. The foam I cut is a little denser and closed cell however the sliding blades are similar to a foam cutter..

19. Eric XT

Eric XT TS Member

Watch this video and take your time.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXhT7WtIsTg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXhT7WtIsTg?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

20. C Prince

C Prince TS Member

Brian,

The opencell

Charcoal-R

Charcoal-F

Chad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
cutting foam for gun case
cutting pelican case foam