1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pedersen 1500 Light Primer Strikes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Black Rifle, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Hi all,

Well, got the 1500 out to the range today for a couple rounds of trap. Fired two rounds of Remington Game Loads at the pattern board to see what my POI was, and to verify that both barrels fired. So far so good. Loaded up a Gun Club in the lower barrel and started the round. After a couple shots I had a light primer strike with the lower barrel. Reinserted the shell and tried again: no joy, another light strike. Put it in the top barrel and fired with no problem. I finished two rounds of trap firing from the top barrel only. Tried the lower barrel again, another light primer strike.

I came home and pulled the stock to check things out. Doesn't appear that anything is broken, so maybe it just needs a good cleaning.

I did notice that the upper barrel firing pin rests against the hammer once it's fired, but there is a space between the head of the pin and the hammer for the lower barrel. I wonder if this is normal? Also, the heads of the pins are quite differently shaped between the two barrels.

I probably need to pull the firing pins, but it looks like their retaining pin(s) are staked in on the Pedersen. So perhaps this is a job for a gunsmith?

Lower Barrel Pin/Hammer Relationship:

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/SmokedClays/Pedersen%201500/?action=view&current=DSC00041.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Upper Barrel Pin/Hammer Relationship:

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/SmokedClays/Pedersen%201500/?action=view&current=DSC00039.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://s264.photobucket.com/albums/ii192/SmokedClays/Pedersen%201500/?action=view&current=pix1466841468.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

2. Tom Ruble

Tom Ruble TS Member

Black Rifle, from your description of your trouble and from looking at the pictures I would suspect a broken firing pin return spring. It appears the firing pin is not being returned to the proper position for the hammer to strike it hard enough to completely dent the primer. The other possible culprit is a broken firing pin. I'm not familiar with the Pederson at all so I can't comment on how easy it is to remove the firing pin retaining pin to get to the firing pin. Break 'em all! Tom Ruble

3. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Tom, think of this model as a Spanish Perazzi! The resemblance in design features is uncanny. Actually the 1500 model I have is an Aramberri action. The 1000 series Pedersens were Beretta actions. Both were imported by Mossberg in the early 70's as part of their Pedersen Custom Guns line.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I had a pedersen 1500 for about 15 mins. Bought it off gunsamerica, would have been the perfect trap gun for me (MC stock, 32" barrels). however, when I received it at my dealer, the wood had shrunk around the forend iron (about a 1/4" gap b/w the iron and the wood when the iron pivots on the receiver), the stock and forend both had multiple cracks, the recoil pad was the most horribly fit i'd ever seen, and the monoblock was heavily corroded. It was all repairable, but I didn't want to put as much into bringing it back up to snuff as the gun cost ($450) so back to the seller it went, luckily I got a full refund. Pity it was in such poor shape, it really looked like a nice gun, wish I could find another in better condition, i've been looking off and on ever since then.

5. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Skeet,

Mine is in very good shape cosmetically. No corrosion whatsoever, and just a few minor dings in the wood. Buddy, aka Old One Eye, sent me a Morgan straight pad to replace that curved monstrosity that came with it. I really enjoyed shooting it for the first time today, except for having to dry fire the bottom barrel, cycle the safety, then call "Pull" for every bird! I'm hoping I can fix the firing issue without too much time or expense.

I believe my barrels are only 30", although I probably should measure them. I'm just going by what the seller had listed.

Mark

6. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

7. Black Rifle

Black Rifle TS Member

Thanks everyone. I cleaned everything up with Remington Shotgun Cleaner (was going to go to my old standby of Gun Scrubber, but that stuff was $10.99 a can at Sportmans Warehouse!). Anyway, I then lubed everything up with Break-Free CLP and blew out any excess with compressed air.

Since I couldn't wait to get to the range to test it, I devised a simple at-home solution. I picked up a package of Remington STS 209 primers at Sportmans Warehouse, primed a couple empty cases, loaded her up and "bang" she went. Did this twice for confidence! I know this really doesn't tell the tale, but I'll get it out to the range Wednesday and go live once again.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.