1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Pecan wood

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BAD 303, Mar 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Is pecan wood any good for any kind of wood working? A friend is taking down a huge old pecan tree. Just wondering if i should have him save any of it.
  2. Phillip's Gunsmithing

Phillip's Gunsmithing Member

It is a nice hard wood and some of it has really nice figure and color.

Phillip Crenwelge 210-313-5988
  3. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

sounds cool cut a peice bout 20 inches long 6 inches think sand it down give it some stain an put a clear coat on it and see how it looks then send me a pic!
  4. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Member

Pecan wood is sought after by people that do a lot of BBQ. My self I smoke a lot of Ribs and pork and would love to have all your Pecan. Has a nice mild flavor.
  5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Pecan wood has been used for flooring and furniture. I have 6 pecan trees on my property and because of the constant shedding (branches) keep a good supply of it for cooking. Wouldn't use anything else. Mesquite burns too hot. Depending on how streight the tree is, and it's size (some pecans get to 100 ft) there could be quite a nr of usable board feet of lumber involved. If it is still standing talk to some one like Mike Mann and see how you might need to cut it to get pieces you would want to save.

Bob
  6. Beni

Beni TS Member

pecan wood is excellant wood for poultry smoking i.e. chicken bbq mild but very flavorful. Look on ebay people chunk it up box it and sell it for smokers/bbq. beni
  7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Here in South Georgia we have millions of pecan(pronounced pee-can) trees and I have never seen them used for anything but firewood for barbques and some table tops from the really big trees. It does have nice figure especially in the areas where an old limb was lost years before. Jackie B.
  8. mette56

mette56 Active Member

I've spent maybe 20,000 hours of my life smoking meats of all kinds professionally. From fish to pork to beef to armadillo (absolutely excellent)to wild ducks and geese to bison (lots) to elk to deer to squirrel to chicken, turkey, goat. I've tried about every kind of hardwood from apple, pear, mulberry, mesquite, oak, wild cherry, hickory and none compare to the sweet mild smell and taste of Pecan. Pecan produces excellent flavor whether it's green or over ripe (seasoned). My family was in the furniture business for generations and IMO, pecan is one of the prettiest woods other than some walnuts. For a gun stock? Why not!

milt
  9. Ajax

Ajax Active Member

I have seen caskets made out of Pecan wood. What a waste of good wood. Doesn't look like any reason a stock could not be made from Pecan.

Ajax