1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mooshkat, Oct 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Any thoughts on this powder? I bought a 1lb. container to try, and i really like it, even though it appears to be a bit pricey, that seems to be the only drawback. I wanted some what of a handicap load for my second shot on doubles, that second bird seems to be out there a ways by the time i get on it. I have been using one of my 1oz. loads for the first shot, and this 11/8oz. STS hull, W209,DRXL-11/8, 23.5 PB, and my scores have really improved, like from the mid thirties to the mid to upper forties. I was useing a 11/8oz. load before with clays and a Spolar windjammer wad. Dont know if the wad made a difference or the powder or both, but this combo works. Its too bad PB is so pricey compared to other powders, maybe Greendot would give me the same outcome.

2. frank t

frank t TS Member

PB is indeed a great powder. As you have discovered it has one big drawback and that is price. As for green dot it is also a great powder. I would find the velocity of the pb load you are shooting and then go the alliant website and see if there is a green dot load that would give you the same velocity. If so then the u could use green for much less than pb.

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

IMHO ... PB may be a little underpriced.

Some things are underpriced: Teuscher's Chocolates, Honey-Baked Ham, PB Powder.

But GD is the 'standard' HCP powder by which others are judged.

BO

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Years ago I used PB to load trap loads for my wife and two kids, kids aged seven and eleven. If my memory serves me, the breech pressure for the one ounce loads was around six thousand pounds. Wouldn't cycle a Sportsman 58 if set on low and wearing a Cutts barrel. Kids killed first pheasants with an ounce of sixes over a load of PB. Just got hard to find around here, at least at prices approximating reasonableness.

5. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I have ound PB powder to get great to shoot -- but, it has a big draw back to me -- it will burn up your hulls in one loading, maybe two if you get lucky -- the beav

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have loaded for shotgun for 47 years,loaded PB for 25+. I use it only in straight wall cases like paper or Gold Medal. It is the powder I use it for ATA shooting. When compared to what it costs to shoot 100 registered targets the few bucks extra it will cost to use PB is very small. I use 19 PB/Gold Medal hull/209A/S-3 wad as a pattern/POI load for all guns. After a few thousand patterns,I have found that if a gun shoots that load well,it will shoot about everything well. I use Clays for taper hulls like STS/AA. Yes,add up the gas,cost of guns,wear on the car,target cost,all the other stuff you spend to break a clay target & then tell me PB is a lot of money.

7. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

PB is one of those extravagances I will afford, though when you figure it down to the shell and relationship to everything else, it's worth it to me. Just hard to come by at times.

PB meters like water, is the cleanest powder I've ever used, operates my autos even in the 5K pressure range. The best 3/4 oz load for a 12 I have (out of 100's) uses PB, and it never falters in that load. Green dot does work well, but there's places that it can't compete with PB.

PB is also very difficult to make, it just takes one little slip up and the whole batch is fertilizer. One day they'll say it's just not worth it and call it quits, I'll wish I'd bought up all I could get. I think that's my cue to get more on hand.

I enjoy using it, that's reason enough, like engraving/AAAA wood/premium shells for simple targets that anything would break, extravagances.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Smells great!

9. JACK

Mooshkat. You may want to check the "Green Dot" thread currently on the page. They are very similar in execution. I'll bump it up in case you missed it. I use them both. But prob will use GD exclusively this coming season.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

In my opinion, PB and Green Dot are pretty much the same animal in terms of performance but PB doesn't leave as much black residue on your hulls and hands and the lockwork of your gun. As others have said, it is more expensive than most other powders but when you look at the overall costs of clay target shooting, especially registered, the extra expense amounts to little more than a drop in the bucket.

I've loaded PB in tapered Remington hulls - RXP, Blue Magic, Premier and STS/Nitro - for over 20 years and get excellent hull life. I generally discard them after eight loadings but there is a lot of life left in them and I always have takers for them who get another six or eight loading out of them. I suspect that anyone who finds that PB "burns" their hulls after a few loadings is shooting an autoloader, as my 1100 tends to blacken hulls a lot earlier in their life than my break-open guns or even my 870. The slower-burning PB in my 1100 often causes "flamer hulls" hanging onto the shell-catcher as the hulls are extracted before the powder is completely burned.

Ballistically speaking, that suggests that a faster-burning powder would be better suited to autoloaders but I don't shoot my 1100 (or 870) often enough to make stocking another shotgun powder worth the shelf space.

If PB were to go through another of its availability dilemmas, I would have no concerns about using Green Dot.

Ed

11. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

My PB loads for handicap were my favorite. Plus you can load 1 1/4 ounce hunting loads with it that used to knock the snot out of high flying mallards. Ahhh the good old days of led shot and lots of ducks.

12. chipped99

chipped99 Active Member

Takes a snuff can full to load a shell,cost more than cocaine,might leave a flame trial out the end of the barrel.So What!!! I think it may be better than sliced bread.If you can get it .......shoot it!!!

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<blockquote>tripod: <i> ... Plus you can load 1 1/4 ounce hunting loads with it that used to knock the snot out of high flying mallards. Ahhh the good old days of led shot and lots of ducks. </i></blockquote>

I shot mallards in the good ol' days, too, and, I wanna tell you that memories are sweeter than today's reality of Bismuth or Nice Shot or (eww..) Hevi-Shot.

Federal Paper, Fed12C1 Wad, F209A, 26 or 7gm of #4 Bismuth, 25gn± of PB will make you throw rocks at those Super XX 3¾, 1¼ Luballoy loads we used to clone.

Bob

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

I think I'll try some. I like the low pressures. I shoot Clays or International right now. Dave T.

15. JACK

Dave. You will be a convert. pennies a box.

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you want to do the arithmetic, shooting 22gn of PB v. 19gn of Green Dot adds a little less than a penny & a half/shell ... not even $5/flat more.

Bob

17. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Well, PB was my favorite powder for shotshells. My new press never liked using it much, but it worked. When they changed manufacturing to Canada the grain size changed and now my press won't handle it at all. I switched to GD and Am Sel. I like them both. If the grain size ever goes back to being large enough to use in my machine, I'll switch back to PB in a heartbeat.

18. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Finding some will be the trick. Dave T.

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Probably the best powder I've reloaded in 45 years. 20.5 grs. with 1 1/8oz. shot, AA wad and a Federal 209A makes a great 16yd. load. Bump it up to 21grs. if you load a Win. primer. I hear the new PB isn't quite the same as the old stuff. Thank God I've still have over 50lbs. of the old stuff I was able to buy dirt cheap!!

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Ollie, this will make that "old" stuff of yours even more attractive - about three months ago, I bought 16 pounds of PB for $153 plus tax and people tell me I got a deal.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.