1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB Powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sliverbulletexpress, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

What is your opinion on the best use for PB? Heavy handicap, light handicap, 1 0z and so on? Where does PB really shine the best? FWIW I have always thought handicap loads but I've been hearing about people liking it for other loads to. I'd like to hear about your loads because as much as I like the powder it is kinda expensive to be playing around with. If you have a favorite recipe I'd love to hear it.

2. Old Confederate

Old Confederate TS Member

20 ga. #25 bush.(16.2 grs.) 7/8 oz. shot
    12 ga. #33 bush.(21.7 grs.) 1 oz. shot
    12 ga. #35 bush.(23.2 grs.) 1 1/8 oz. shot
    These bushings are for a MEC Grabber.

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

40 grains of PB, enough card and fiber wads to fill the hull and get it to crimp, NO SHOT! Makes a hell of a noise.

Seriously, It's a great 12 ga powder for 1200 fps 1 1/8 oz loads and a little higher. For 1 oz, I'd stay around 1225 fps. Check Hodgdon for data with your components.

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

PB was and is the best heavy trap load powder ever made.....and that's saying a lot since there are many great gun powders to choose from out there. Expensive but worth it if you're not on a budget.

5. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Quack Shot:

Back in the 1960's, I used to load Federal paper hulls with 19 grains of Red Dot and fill the hull with a nitro over powder wad and fiber wads. Yes, they do make a hell of a noise. We shot them on New Years eve and to scare away blackbirds.

My favorite PB load was with an AA red hull, Federal 209 primer, 21 grains of PB, WWAA12 wad and 1 1/8 oz of hard 7 1/2 shot. This was listed as a 1145 fps load, It shot soft and would break targets from the parking lot in the summer time.

Today, I like E3 for 1 oz. loads and Green Dot for 1/8 oz.

PB is too expensive and is sometimes hard to get.

Ed Ward

6. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Ed,

I still have some of those small half pound cans of PB hanging around. That is in addition to two full 12 pounders. I just hate to open them and use the powder, since when it's gone, I won't buy more. It's just way too expensive. I can get two jugs of Promo for about the same as one of PB. I do use a lot of Green Dot and sometimes Unique and Herco. I use Unique with the CCI209M primer and Red Versalite wad with hard shot for caps and the lineups at the back fence. PB is great stuff, just not very economical. Those blanks were listed in an old loading manual. I think it was a Lyman 1st or second edition. I wouldn't fool with them today. I can make other things to occupy my time. I was always afraid of a wad getting wedged and bulging the barrel. Not a problem in a basic H&R Topper. :)

I'm playing with some lighter loads using WAALite powder. Talk about mild! Slight recoil and dense patterns. I think there is some promise in subsonic loads with this powder. Very consistent. Just don't try to speed them up too much, since the pressure with ramp up quickly when the powder "hits-the-wall". Some of these loads will actually function in my gaspipe.

7. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

The two best smelling powders are PB and Titewad. Don't OD on them tho. Lotso Carbon monoxide in that waft of smoke

I load in an STS hull, 1-1/16 lead out of my PW 5.5 bushing, a white fig 8 wad, a 33 mec bushing of just under 22 grs of PB and usuallly a Fed primer. Books downrange thru my ProChrono Dig at 1290 fps. Wear your depends.

8. JTEA

JTEA Member

Can't beat the manuals from http://www.ballisticproducts.com/ burn rates, applications etc.

PB works great for most loads / with the proper hull, wad and primer. Variations can make some stompers as well. Excellent for consistent velocity loads.

Try a Federal Gold Medal, BP competition wad with PB powder for HC and dove loads. +++

PB is well suited for slugs and cold weather hunting loads also.

9. JTEA

JTEA Member

Forgot the helix wad, they hold a nice pattern.
    Detailed Description
    The pliable Helix cushioning system is designed to reduce recoil. Superb 1 1/8oz to 1-1/4oz. patterns, optimum range of 30-65 yards. An excellent wad for handicap trap shooting and field loads. Gas Seal: arched dome .725" diameter, .215" thick - two powder migration rings and two stabilization rings Overall length: 1.6" Seal to cup bottom: .900" Shotcup depth: .740" Shotcup type: lay-back hinged Shot level in cup: 1oz+ Optimum range: 30-65 yards Going away targets

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bp z2m wad and unique powder load data

pb powder

pb powder trap load data

pb powder trap loads