1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB POWDER

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ron y, Sep 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ron y

ron y TS Member

Has anyone tried this powder for reloads,and is there a difference in recoil?

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I used to use PB exclusively. It was the only powder that produced manageable recoil in my Superposed. It is a superb, but expensive powder. It is a relatively slow powder, slower than Green Dot, so you have to keep pressure up for a consistent burn.

1 oz loads at 1150fps get a little iffy in the winter. 1200fps and above are no problem. 1 1/8oz loads work perfectly.

Although you will hear a lot of nay saying on this forum, PB definitely has a much more pleasant recoil than Red Dot or Even Green Dot. When they moved production to Canada they made the powder finer grained. It jammed up my reloader, so I stopped using it. I wish they would go back to the US made stuff so I could use it again. BTW, it smells great when fired.

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

PB is one of my favorites but retirement income I have elected to use something cheaper. I have two metal kegs that are many years old ( must be 12 lb kegs) as soon as they are gone, that's it

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It's a good powder. I don't see any real difference in recoil by using it, but if it makes you happy, use it. The one issue I have experienced was poor cold weather performance. It's a single base powder and is harder to ignite than modt double based powders as a result. Hot primers and loads with sufficient powder to burn efficiently are a must. I don't use much of it anymore for several reasons. The first and foremost being the issue of cost. It's almost twice as costly as Promo. I get better consistency from less expensive powders, especially in 1oz loadings. It's really too slow for light 1oz loads. Use what you want, but I'll select something more suitable.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

PB takes more room than most powders. You may have to use a wad one size larger than your shot charge to make a good fit.

Example: use a 12S4 INSTEAD OF 12S3 in federal hulls for 1 & 1/8 oz.

HM

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

If you want a good handicap load use 22 grains in Fed. hull with 12s3 wad. Same load in Rem. and AA just change the wad to AA claybuster. Soft recoil, Fast 1250 fps, hits targets hard. If you want to score well, who cares about the little more it costs. Why at the cost of shooting do you or would you scrimp on your shells??

Don

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

BIGDON

If PB did something a less expensive powder didn't do, then it would be a valid point. Since PB does have some issues with cold weather, loading density, etc., I would probably opt for a different powder even if the cost were not an issue. If the cost is no problem, then why not just shoot Factory Premium Shells and toss the empties? Why bother to reload in the first place? I don't buy the "lower recoil" claim either. I don't feel any difference between PB or another powder giving the same velocities with the same payload. If you think you can, more power to you. You are free to use whatever powder you want.

8. bigben

bigben Active Member

I have dine quite a bit of testing of PB and other powders for cold weather performance, my findings are that the vast majority of problems are caused by using non oem wads in extreme conditions. The PB test was done with 21.5 grains of PB, Rem primers, fig 8 wads STS hulls, put them in the freezer for a week, as I did with the PB in all Federal compoments, freezer to ice chest to gun club to firing line, no bloopers, same machine, same powder,same hulls, non oem wads [a variety tested and noted] significant issues with bloopers and unburnt powder. incinerate em!

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've not done Ben's testing but I've shot many cans - now jugs - of PB during winters in Pennsylvania with nary a blooper that was the powder's fault. Regarding the cost issue, if you calculate how many shells you can load with a pound of an expensive powder like PB and a less costly one like Promo, you'll see that the cost per box of shells is not something that should keep you awake nights.

I once had a shooter tell me he used wads for straight-walled hulls in tapered ones because he could drop the powder charge by a grain per shell and have the same velocity. He told me, "One grain in every shell really adds up, you know." I gave that some thought and decided to see just what a grain per shell DID add up to.

Using 10,000 shells per year and PB as the powder so the savings would be the highest, he was saving ten bucks a year by using the wrong wad. And he wasn't the kind of guy to use anything but the cheapest components, so his savings was even less.

Take it for what it's worth...

Ed

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've not done Ben's testing but I've shot many cans - now jugs - of PB during winters in Pennsylvania with nary a blooper that was the powder's fault. Regarding the cost issue, if you calculate how many shells you can load with a pound of an expensive powder like PB and a less costly one like Promo, you'll see that the cost per box of shells is not something that should keep you awake nights.

I once had a shooter tell me he used wads for straight-walled hulls in tapered ones because he could drop the powder charge by a grain per shell and have the same velocity. He told me, "One grain in every shell really adds up, you know." I gave that some thought and decided to see just what a grain per shell DID add up to.

Using 10,000 shells per year and PB as the powder so the savings would be the highest, he was saving ten bucks a year by using the wrong wad. And he wasn't the kind of guy to use anything but the cheapest components, so his savings was even less.

Take it for what it's worth...

Ed

11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

20.5 grs. with a AA wad in Remington or Winchester cases, the appropriate primer and 1 1/8oz. shot makes for a wonderful, low recoiling 16yd. load. Velocity over a chronograph averages 1180fps!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.