1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB Powder

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bertonernie, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

Does anybody use this powder ? What is your opinion ? Like or Dislike. Thanks

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Best I've ever put in a shotshell, most accurate drops, cleanest, most versatile-----------and most expensive. While I'd like to continue to use it, powders 1/2 the cost will still put shot downrange. I'll have to find a deal on some to buy anymore.

3. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

Slugger

How was the perceived recoil ?

4. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

Thanks

Texas Ton

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    slugger, quote: "....It's very clean powder."

Well, I discovered long ago and far away that PB was a good pistol powder for regular and magnum strength loads. But it was lousy for light loads.

Unless the combustion reaches a certain pressure level, the cellulose carrier doesn't get consumed, and then you get a barrel and/or action full of little semi-transparent light yellow donuts. Light loads in .38 Specials will do this.

I dunno about trap loads. But I suspect the same thing. The cheap 1100 trap gun I picked up had the trigger assembly clogged full of what looked like PB cellulose donuts. This gun has oversized ports for light loads.

6. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have used PB for shotgun loads for 25 years. It is by far the best I have ever used. BUT,BUT it really works best in straight wall cases,esp the Fed Gold Medal. And for break open guns. I do not use it in autos. Per given foot of velocity,actual chrono'ed,it gives the lowest recoil(perceived.) Everyone talks about the expense of PB. Yet,those people shoot multi thousand $$$ guns,drive many miles to a shoot & pay $22-30/100 for registered targets. The few pennys extra per shell don't really matter. A guy loses more in interest $$$$ each year on his Kolar/K-80/Ljutic/Perazzi than he will EVER spend in extra $$$$ for PB. It has also given me the best patterns in the G.M. hull. If I am playing for $$$/the big trophy,I ONLY use PB. That said,I do like Clays for most all else esp. taper hulls.
    Please guys,look at what you spend each year,in total,on clay target shooting and then tell us all how VERY important it is to save a few pennies.

7. Top Single 35#

Top Single 35# TS Member

I like PB powder better than all the others ,Cleaner less rcoil consistant,powder drop charges,Federal gold medal 20 grains PB federal primer federal 12S3 wad is the same as a New Federal Extra Lite 1120 fps. 1 1/8 shot,no recoil will break targets good on 16's doubles and handicap,I bought 100lbs from Gene Sears a year ago in 5 lbs cans for $60 for 5 lbs,they don't sell the 5 lb cans anymore, the claybuster 12S3 wad can save you some money,

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

Brian: """"""""I dunno about trap loads. But I suspect the same thing. """""""""

A couple of months ago I loaded my wifes 3/4 oz (12 gauge) creampuffs up with 18.2 grains of PB. I shot a couple in my stock port size SX-1 this morning at 32 degrees. It cycled perfectly, and the bore was spotless. These loads are just under 4K pounds, I've never seen any yellow specs in either gun. I have from 700X but not PB.

9. bigben

bigben Active Member

PB remains the benchmark for consistant powder drops, cleanliness [debris migration into the trigger area] and velocity consistancy through my chrono, more expensive-yes, worth it? yes!

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Makes the best Hdcp. load out their. 22 grains is fast, soft recoil, clean and hits hard. I load in either a GM or REM. hull. As close as I can get to a Nitro 27.

Don

11. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

I have to agree with all the guys saying it's the best.

Happy New year..Rickyd

12. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd say it's probably the finest powder I've ever used. I'll have severe pain when I'm forced to pay the current price for new stock after my current cheap stuff is gone. 20.5 grs. with an RXP wad in AA's or Gun Clubs is a sweet load!!

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

RunGunIPSC, for me the difference between using RexII at $9 per lb. and PB at $14 per lb. is nearly $400 per year....if that's pennies for you then congrats on your success, but for me it's significant. I use the cheapest components I can find, including homemade shot and I'll put my loads up against anybody's including new ones. As for all the hoopla about clean burning powder...pull a Boresnake through the bbl. after shooting and you'll never know the difference.

Buz

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

PB or 7625. The best powder ever made. But, costly, don't use thm in light loads or you'll get unburnt powder in your face with a wind blowing. I think they need at least a 1 1/8 heavy load to be effective, and burn all the powder.

15. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

Agree with above. Best there is for pistol and shotgun, but high dollar now compared to others. Cleanest i have ever used. JD

16. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Buz, I agree that dirt left in the barrel is nothing to worry about. But the "dirt" that many of us refer to is the black coating that accumualtes on the internal parts of your gun's action as well as your hands and your empty hulls.

With the exception of when PB was not available and when I tried a few other powders, I've used it exclusively for well over ten years. I once did a calculation of reloading costs with PB and less costly powders and for the amount I shot at that time (about 10,000 rounds per year), it was costing me something like $80 more a year to use PB instead of another quality powder like International Clays or Green Dot. I'm certainly not wealthy but I can afford an extra two cents per box of shells.

Ed

17. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I shot 20grains with 1 1/8 ounce of shot. Clean and soft.

18. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

5.3 PB and a 200 Gr flatpoint in .45 ACP. I bet I shot a 55 gal drum of those. JD

19. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Both at the same time!!

20. lewddt10

lewddt10 TS Member

Excellent powder, very soft recoil. STS hull, remington primer, figure 8 wad, 22 grains PB powder, 11/8oz. of 71/2's. Excellent load from 16 to 27 yard line. Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.