1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

PB powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Browningshooterxt, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browningshooterxt

Browningshooterxt Member

Is PB as good as all the stories you hear
  2. m12superx1

m12superx1 TS Member

Shot some my dad loaded this weekend at KVS. I load 700x, and I was impressed with the PB as the recoil was greatly reduced. Seems a bit dirtier though. Just my observations. It does require more to obtain the same fps., but was a pleasure to shoot.
  3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

PB is a very soft shooting powder, 7625 is even more so. They both use a heavy powder charge PB about 22 7625 about 25.
  4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The stories abt PB that you hear prolly don't do full justice to exactly how good it is.

It stretches from 28ga to 10ga, meters like water, shoots the same at -20º and 120º and if somebody could duplicate the smell of PB in a Federal Paper, I want the worldwide concession to sell cologne.

It also takes a snuff can full to make a load and is more expensive than cocaine.

You will never load a powder that will give you as small a SD & ES as PB.

Does PB break a skeet any better than Promo or Titewad? Nope. It doesn't, but a man ought to load a couple of pounds of PB in his lifetime, just to know what the best is.

If God is a trapshooter, he loads PB ... when he can get a loan to buy it.

Bob
  5. tcr1146

tcr1146 Active Member

Bob said it all! Tom Rhoads
  6. JACK

JACK Active Member

Good stuff Bob
  7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What Bob said.....I just can't afford it anymore.

Wayne
  8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

I love 7625 which is a big brother to PB. Yes it is expensive but I still shoot it and will continue too. I shot PB for years until I found 7625, now my 30 year old 12 lb keg of PB just sits on the shelf awaiting the day I run out of 7625 LOL
  9. John55

John55 Member

I shot PB back in the '70s and early '80s, then it got almost impossible to find so I switched. Used about everything else until a couple of years ago when a friend gave me a 1 lb. can of it for Christmas...It is as good as everyone says and now I'm back to using it again, and have no plans to switch. Yes, it is a lot more expensive than Green Dot and other similar powders, but for me there is just no other powder that does the job like PB.
  10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

International Clays is the affordable PB.
  11. Luvs2shoot

Luvs2shoot Active Member

I still load it for 1 oz loads. It is as good as it gets. I found a 12 lb keg for $180 about a year and a half ago. And in December last year I found two 5 lb cans for $65 each. Needless to say, I was walking in high cotton, considering that an 8 lb jug now goes for about $150.

John
  12. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I bought a pound to try, just waiting for the Nitro 100 to run out.Hopefully this weekend.
  13. zzt

zzt Active Member

When they switched production to Canada the granulation of the powder got smaller and it jams up my reloader. If they had kept it the same as the original, I'd still be using it for handicap loads regardless of price.
  14. MOUNT-1

MOUNT-1 TS Member

15. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

zzt what kind of reloader do you have the PB jams your reloader?

Dave
  16. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

ZZT - When do you think they moved PB production to Canada?
  17. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Reloading for most shooters is primarily for cost reduction. If thats the case, PB is way out of line for cost reduction. Is it better than GD, RD, Clays, Promo, or 700X? It's in the hands and pockets of the shooter.
  18. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Oh,Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to add that PB makes the best .45 ACP rounds ever.

With a 200 grain SWC it's like shooting a .380

Wayne

[​IMG]
  19. BeerKing

BeerKing Active Member

PB is kind of like sex on the beach. Nuthin better
  20. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Wayne

I have loaded PB before, and as all have said, it is hard to beat. I have no idea if your keg is empty, but I used to work for dupont and I am able to read the date code on the keg. If you still have powder in that keg, it is quite old. Under the lot number, the E indicates the plant where it was manufactured or packaged. It was packaged on July 19, 1991. The number below the date code is the actual serial number of the batch on file at the plant with a retain in case there were any questions later. IMR kept the same lot sequence as dupont. I have no idea how to read Hodgdon serial numbers.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.