1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB Powder Loaders- Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Have been enjoying loading w/ PB powder the last couple of years. Is seems that the powder shoots much tighter than Clays. I've patterned several loads but really couldn't come to any conclusion.I am smoking targets with looser chokes than I have shot in the past for both singles and HDCP.

Wondering what your experiance has been w/ the powder?

2. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

I love it! Best powder made. Since I started loading it I've shot several, ( well three 100's)
    in singles and one 100 in HCP. I will pay the difference.
    What's your load?

Bill

3. highway

highway Member

I also feel that this is the powder of choice. It patterns better than anything for me. Somehow green dot also patterns almost as well for me.
    I would also be intrested in the loads you fellows shoot--really any type.
    Thanks,
    Roger

4. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

Great powder, for me (I'm sure others as well) there is nothing like the aroma that PB has when it burns. As to what I load...

FGM hull, 1 ounce of 7.5, Win 209, 12S0 wad and 21.0 grains of PB gives me about 1150 fps.

I was using a MEC 9000H but it's sitting in the corner until it learns who the boss is. I am waiting as patiently as I can for my new Spolar to get here and see how well it loads that recipe.

Greg

5. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

I bought five pounds of PB powder this spring believing I needed a change from my favorite powder of the past 20 years, Green Dot. I was looking for a 1200 fps handicap load that developed a moderate pressure (8000 to 9500psi).

Thanks to the generositiy of the ATA and my poor handicap average, I accepted a reduction from the 24.5 to the 22.5 yard line in January. In the past, I have strugged from the 25 yard line and back, especially with my Green Dot reloads, eventually believing that premium new shells were necessary to aid success at longer yardage.

I settled on a load in Remington STS hulls with a Rem 209 primer, 23 grains of PB and the Figure 8 wad. This being designed for handicap, I used West Coast Magnum 7 1/2 shot (1 1/8 oz). Published Data suggests 8400 psi for this load. I do plan to switch to a Win 209 primer and Claybuster wads as the Rem 209 primer and wad supplies have dried up and this will allow me to drop my powder charge by 1 grain.

Results: For my last 1500 handicap targets I've averaged 91.67. I've been awarded 5 punches for a total of 3 yards. My impressions are that I've been breaking targets harder and more consistently with this load than my 1200 fps 21 grain Green Dot load. There is no question that moving up a few yards has helped me recalibrate my handicap shooting, helping to regain some confidence.
    The load "appears" fast and has little felt recoil compared to Nitro 27 or AA Super Handicap new shells.

In my case, it is hard to seperate truth from speculation. I've purchased another 8 lb. keg of PB for my next few thousand targets. Confidence in handicap shooting has a huge leverage on success. Right now I'm confident in PB powder but this feeling is purely speculative based only upon how hard I'm breaking targets and my recent rash of success. The 2 yard reduction certainly didn't hurt my confidence.

If I use the reloading calculator and consider the increased costs of PB and Remington components, my new favorite reload comes in at nearly $5.80 per box. (ouch!). My Green Dot loads are around $4.10/box. I'll have to work up some PB loads in Win AA and Fed. Gold Medal hulls to save a few bucks.

PB offers another important benefit. It is extremely versatile. Comparing it to Alliant's Unique for instance, there is more published data for loads that a trapshooter would use, including 1 ounce and lighter loads. Unique affords some nice 1200 fps loads but relatively nothing more for the trapshooter. In fact, there are almost as many loads published for PB as Green Dot, Red Dot or 700X.

PB is very good powder. My handicap powder of choice. It is not economical enough to supplant the redoubtable Green Dot for 16 yard loads or Red Dot for 1 ounce loads.

Play Dead

6. Bill Roberts

Good info Play Dead.
    I shoot it for singles and HCP.
    I like 22.2 grains for singles and 23 even for HCP (22 yds) I use a STS hull
    Win 209 and a CB 1118 wad. Smokes the bird if I do my part.
    Very clean and a nice crisp pop with very little recoil.

Bill

Keep this going good info guys!

7. SBray

SBray Active Member

Folks,

PB sounds like a great powder! How does it meter, are the drops consistent?

Steve

8. Bill Roberts

It's very fine, works well in my PW. I had problems with the Spolar

9. Reid

Reid Member

I loved the PB powder years ago, but the only problem I found with it is that in cold weather the loads sound terrible and maybe consistent speed is lost.

10. Play Dead

Play Dead Member

PB meters well in my MEC Grabber. I've learned that powder drops are more consistent with any powder if the powder bottle is more than half full. I prefer not using a powder baffle and have as good or better results with PB as I do with Green Dot.

Thanks for the info Al Wilson. I am considering using PB for singles loads during a Fall/Winter league this year. I'll report back if I experience the same issues with the powder.

Play Dead

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I would think that PB would work best in handicap loads as it burns with fairly low pressure. You want to have good pressure to get a clean burn, especially for singles.

12. Bill Roberts

I have shot it all year round with no problem and we get very cold in Eastern WA.

Bill

13. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

What if Green Dot tighten up your patterns and you didn't point well enough. Maybe PB put a little more spread in the pattern so you could pick up the fringe targets?
    Just a thought.

Ajax

14. highway

highway Member

Dear Play Dead,
    I find that my experience with PB is remarkably similar to yours, except, I have used it mainly in old style AA huls.
    I load the following:
    1. Fed 209--WAA12--20.5 PB (Mec 31 actually drops 20.3 to 20.5) 8200--1150
    2. Fed 209--WAA12--22.0 PB (Mec 33 actually drops 22.1 to 22.2) 8900--1200

I am a club shooter and not pressed by great stakes, but that 22.0 grain load really does seem "faster" than published. Somehow it inspires a little confidence in me when all is on the line. I have patterened PB a bunch, and only Green Dot comes close in my experience. I have never noticed a cold weather problem of any sort.
    I am worried that there may be some change when I have to load the new AA's, and may move to Remington hulls.
    Roger

15. highway

highway Member

Sorry about cramming all that information into one or two paragraphs.

I did not realize that I needed to double space.

Roger

16. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Maybe someone can help me with my PB experience.

First of all, it shoots great. I load 1250 fps shells with it in Remington and Winchester hulls.

The Dollar had several of the 5lb cans at the same price as a 4lb jug, so I bought them all. The .468 bushing on my Spolar dropped exactly 23.9 grains with all of those cans.

Then I purchased an 8lb jug and found that the .468 bushing dropped too much. I had to back off to the .462 bushing to get the 23.9 I'd gotten before with the .468.

The cans were probably 2-3 years old and the 8 lb jug was pretty new. I don't find any variation with Clays or Green Dot from jug or jug, and wondered in PB has changed its density or ...?

Bob

17. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

I've found the density of every powder I've used to change from time to time.

It's usually on the order of a single bushing, or less than 3%, and I don't adjust for it. A change of that magnitude simply isn't relevant to shotgun ballistics. A benchrest rifle maybe, but not a shotgun.

18. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

highway, what PE do you get with PB compared to GD?

19. bigben

bigben Active Member

I have shot almost every powder out there, PB is my powder of choice, I have never had a blooper or off sounding load even in -10 below shooting, most loaders will make a terrible mistake in not using oem wads in therir hulls, penny wise, pound foolish! Ray Stafford led thr nation's high averege at the 27 yd. line using Fed paper extra-lites with an oem loading of PB, since then the Fed extra-lites were loaded with an oem powder, not PB and the rest is history! If you are shooting for sh--ts and giggles, it is of no matter, if there is money on the line, PB is king and will vary 1/10 of a grain or less on my Spolar. incinerate em!

20. highway

highway Member

Johnny,

I'm not sure that I know what PE stands for, but if it means "pattern expansion", I looked up my notes and it seems that the patterns were not expanded as compared to Green Dot. Rather, the patterns were more uniform over and over again. All were shot through Model 12s.
    Roger

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.