1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB powder in 7/8 ounce

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by nut, Jul 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nut

nut Member

Just bought some pb powder at the Iowa state shoot.

I can't find any data on 7/8 ounce loads using pb powder. Can you please help me out.

2. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Not a good choice for 7/8 oz. Too slow burning.

Buz

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Buz, nonsense ... PB is an excellent powder for 24gm or 7/8oz, but it surely helps to have the right wads.

Nut, go to Hodgdon Reloading Guide

mash 'agree' & 'shotshell'

over on #6, select 'PB'

on #3, pick '24gm'

pick your hull at #4

'display'

MY fave 24gm - 7/8oz loads are FGM (or any Eurotrash hull) and a B&P T-2 or Gualandi REX or SPARK in place of the 12S3, and I make them up pretty fast, but still very low pressure.

They are purely awesome bullets.

Bob

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

Saturday I shot 18.5 grs. PB, 1 ounce #8's, C/Buster SL, STS hull...very nice, quiet and efficient.

Wayne

5. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Have loaded PB for 25 yrs. I agree about it being on the slow side for 7/8. The use of Ballistic Products wads helps some as these are a tight fit & help with the pressures. I like the Rex & Spark wads also for 7/8 but use 16.7 Clays in a straight wall hull or 16.3 Clays in a AA/STS with AA gray wad

6. checker

checker Member

"I can't find any data on 7/8 ounce loads using pb powder" That ought to tell you something, too Slow, low LUP... for 1 1/8 HCP and 1 1/4 "Live bird" & hunting loads IDEALLY in MHO....data shows same.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try Red Dot or 700X. They are cheaper and I think a better powder for 7/8's loads.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've never intentionally used 7/8s-ounce loads but like most of us who use "hard" shot, I drop 15/16th-ounce of shot in my "one-ounce" loads and have never had a problem with PB, even with zero wad pressure and mild Remington primers.

Ed

9. TP Express

TP Express TS Member

I never tried PB but loaded a lot of SR7625 (which as I recall was similar in burn rate) in both 7/8 and 1 oz. loads. Very soft shooting and performed well.

10. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

nut, the old IMR manual has a lot of 24g loads for PB. They list each hull with with loads using F209A, W209and STS209P primers and WAA12SL, CB1100-12, TGT-12, CB2100-12, 12S0 and Activ TG-30 wads. Velocities range from 1140 to 1330fps.

PM your email addy and the hull, primer and wad you want to use and I'll send the data for that combo.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

If you want to load for Bunker Trap PB might be a good choice. If you want reduced recoil with velocity in 1150 fps to 1200 fps range then Hodgdon Clays is a great powder for 7/8.

Jim Skeel

12. nut

nut Member

Thanks for the information

looks like I'am going with 21 grains of powder pink down range wad win 209 in a remington hull.

also my charge bar has been honed out to drop 382 grains of shot.

will load 20 shells and check velocity

13. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used PB in the past for heavier 7/8 and 1 oz loads. I use a more appropriate powder (Faster AND Cheaper) for lighter loads. PB is costly and you would use a significant amount more for each load when compared to some other powders. Given the price per pound, it adds up to a premium. Some of the older loading manuals have the data. I would contact the manufacturer (Hodgdon) for a reality check. They periodically delete data. It can be done for many reasons. Sometimes it's a safety issue or a performance issue. Many times it's popularity. Find some data and contact them before loading for their take on it.

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Anytime you have pressures at 3900-6000 psi you have problems w/unburnt powder, and poor performing loads, PB is listed w/24gm loading in my 2009 loading manual, best loads are with 1 1/8thoz loads where pressures are up to 6,000 psi+ but this is an expensive powder to load, I would suggest PROMO $65.00 for 8lbs compared to PB twice the powder for the same money,

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

PB powder is more expensive to load.It costs the average shooter about $40 more per year to use it than Clays!

16. MtnGun

MtnGun Member

Where can you buy promo for $65?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.