1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB powder for singles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by straightshooter1, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I use PB powder for my handicap loads at approximately 1250 fps and am very happy with it. It meters well and consistently and the pressure is low. Best of all, it shoots well in my gun.

Clays is getting a bit hard to get. I still have some left, and use it for singles/doubles.

But, in the event that Clays can't be had for a while, I was thinking of trying lighter loads of PB for singles.

I have read somewhere, maybe here, that it is best for heavier loads. Perhaps true, perhaps not. I thought I'd ask here before possibly wasting my time loading some up.

Has anyone used PB for 1145ish 1 1/8 ounce singles loads and, if so, how did they work for you?

Thanks

Bob

2. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I tried it in my one ounce load @ 1180 ish fps and it was fine. Seemed like a nice crimp was the key to how clean it left my barrel(s). Only bough a pound to try.Soon as I run out of 700x and Nitro 100 I will buy a bigger quantity and see how it works longer term.

3. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

That's all I ever use for singles and HCP. Great stuff. Someone will
    say it costs more! It does but it's the best.

How much are you dropping for your HCP LOAD?

Bill

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I haven't used PB with 1 and 1/8, but I have used it with 1 oz. of 8s around 1175 to 1200 also. Clean, hits birds hard and its soft on your shoulder.

1 and 1/8 at 1145 with PB would feel pretty soft too. But it wouldn't look that way on the target.

5. straightshooter1

I use 24.5 grains with a Federal hull and Federal clone with a Win 209.

With a Remington or Winchester hull, I load 23.5 grains with a CB 1118-12.

These loads are from the Hodgdon site.

Bob

6. Uncle Screech

Uncle Screech Member

I load 1 ounce for everything, 22 grains of PB, Federal Gold Medal hull, 12S0 wad and Win 209 primer. Gives me about 1200 fps. I have tried loading 7/8 ounce with it and didn't like it, inconsistent sounding loads and was very dirty, lots of unburned powder.

Greg

7. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

My load has been 22.5 for quite some time and it feels good. This does not have nearly as sharp a kick as some of the faster powders. Before my supply of PB runs out I am going to try some 21 grain loads to see how the 1150 proposed load feels.

The last time I went for PB I was told they were going to quit producing it so I bought a bunch of SR7625. It has not been tried as of yet. The 7625 shows a little more powder per load for the same performance. They show 22.5 for 1150 and 23.5 for 1200 but the pressure is about the same. Anyone else try these rounds. SR7625 is more expensive but looks great.

Is the PB remaining on the market?

9. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

20.8 grs. of PB with an 1 1/8 oz. shot in Federal or Winchester cases is a real smoker. I was fortunate enough to purchase plenty of closeout cheap 5lb. cans and 4lb. jugs when they were discontnued. I'm down to my last 46 lbs.!!

10. bigben

bigben Active Member

Bob, put 21.5 grains of PB with matching hull -primers, and and oem wads, wads it will turn targets inside out with low felt recoil,. All American and ATA hall of famer Pat Mcarthy when he had the time to load , his powder of choice was PB, years ago federal paper exta lites were factory loaded with 20.5 gr. of pb, fed primers, 12c1 wads and targets were distroyed! Ray Stafford led the nation's 27 average with this load, I have witnessed following shooters miss targets because this factory load hit targets so hard that they watched the smokeballs drift away rather than watching their own targets! have fun, incinerate em!

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

slowdp,

I used SR 7625 exclusivly for everything (trap plus field) for over 10yrs. Very soft felt recoil and very low chamber pressures. Dirtier than 700-X. Now that I am reloading again after a 30 year hiatus I will use SR 7625 exclusively when I can find a ready supply. Costs a little more but when broken down into cost per shell it amounts to very little. Marc

12. straightshooter1

Thanks for all the advice and loads.

I will give my PB a try and load some light loads for singles this evening and shoot them tomorrow.

If the PB works as well for singles as it does for handicap 1250 loads, then I probably will just use up my Clays and stick with PB for everything.

I've never tried SR 7625, but have heard a few shooters who use it say they really like it for all types for loads. If I could not find PB (God forbid!), then I'd give the SR 7625 a try.

Thank you all again.

Bob

13. Brady509

Brady509 Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.