1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB plus Federal Papers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Avaldes, May 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I am not finding any guidance on the Alliant website for PB powder in a Federal Paper hull. I would use S3 wads with Fed primers. There are recipe's for Green Dot and lots of other powders, but not PB. Anyone have any tips? Looking for all three factory speeds (1145, 1200, 1235).

2. Avaldes

PS- Who is the correct point of contact at Alliant if I wanted to call over there to get a recipe?

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

First off PB is made by IMR not Allient

IMR is owned by Hodgdon as is Winchester powders. So Hodgdon pretty much has the market except for Allient.

You may have to check a recent Hodgdon manual as the website does not show papers. It just has loads for plastics.

PB and papers and a 12C1 wad is about the softest kicking shell I have
    ever loaded.

You may need older data or a Hogdon shotshell manual rather then the website.

Great combo but EXPENSIVE!!!Jeff

4. DONNE

DONNE Member

Be aware using PB and the Federal primer. Years ago I loaded a lot of the "extra lite" duplicate in the Gold Medal hulls. I used the info in the then folder printed by Federal. Had a lot of bad shells when it got cold. Thought the powder had gone bad. Called IMR and talked to a tech. He told me the charge was kinda light (20.5 gr.)and told me to switch to W209 and up the charge to 21 gr. Problem went away. Shells were still soft.

5. smokeater6844

smokeater6844 Member

Try this and have fun with the best smelling freshly fired hull in the world.

http://data.hodgdon.com/shotshell_load.asp

Brian

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Dont use it anymore but I have shot a lot of 22 gr PB, 12S3 wad, Fed paper, fed 209 primer

7. Avaldes

Oops, my mistake, I meant Hogdon. They do not show any loads on their website for PB in a paper hull. Just went out to the garage and found a manual with what I was searching for.

8. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

First I can't reccomend any loads here. But, I can tell you that I currently use 24.5 of PB in Fed paper hulls with a 1 ounce load. Also, I use a Cheddite primer. I use this for my 27 yd load.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.