1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB or 7625

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Browningshooterxt, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browningshooterxt

Browningshooterxt Member

which one is the best for a 1250 fps load thanks

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

It really depends on the other components you are using, and shot weight. Both are fine powders. Check the data on the web-site.

Wayne

3. brewmaster

brewmaster Member

Wayne is correct. You might also check if your load will close as both powders are very bulky and some combinations present too much volume for the hull.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd go with the 7625, but PB is a close second. Either will work fine if the rest of your components match up with reliable data. I use a lot of Unique, Universal Clays, or Herco for the 1250 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. 7625 and PB just seem like an extravagance, since the cost is up there. I used a lot of PB and other IMR powders over the years, but I don't use much since the prices have skyrocketed. I still have a good supply of some, but when they get used up, I won't replace them at the current price differences. I have probably used more Unique powder than any of the others mentioned. It's reliable, consistent, available, and less expensive. A big plus for me is it will work in a lot of my handgun loads.

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Quack

I prefer Solo 1250 for my Caps load over any other, but it has apparently been discontinued. I have used Univ Clays and Unique in the past, but have looked long and hard at Herco. What do you think of it?

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go with Green Dot. It's a lot cheaper, and will do as good if not a better job in the 1250 fps range. I did use 7625 until it became so costly.

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use 7625 and really like it. I like it enough to pay the price but when it somes to shooting or eating I dont worry about cost. PB is a close second but will not work as well for the bigger loads. 7625 works well for me in 1 3/8 oz or 1 1/4 ox loads for the games. I had an old 12 lb can of PB when I first tried 7625 and never went back to it so I now have a very old can with 10lbs left. I will use it someday. 7625 rocks for me. However - Unique is a really good way to go for less money

8. Shooting Coach

Tried GD when it first came out, was not impressed. Tried a pound several years ago, still not impressed.

Unique seems to provide better patterns, less felt recoil. Also, lower pressure. Herco is just a tad slower.

9. pullbangloss

pullbangloss Active Member

26.5 gr 7625, 1 1/4 6's, windjammer wad, Fed 209A, Fed Ribbed Hull.

Parking Lot, 5th gun killers, and 30 yards back up shells. These are awesome and don't kick.

Matt Ski

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Shooting Coach

I like Herco, but Unique is my go to for the 1250 fps loads. My main reason is that I can use Unique for a wide variety of handgun loads. I feel that the two powders are very similar and that Unique fits the velocity/pressure range I'm comfortable with a little better than Herco. It also seems to require a little less Unique than Herco to get the same velocity. A lot depends on what hulls and primers you intend to use. In the Federal Gold Medals, the difference between the two powders is more apparent. In the STS and Win AA hulls, it's a slightly different story. These powders really start to shine in the 1 1/4 ounce loads. Herco might have the pressure advantage there, as well as the ability to squeeze a few more fps at a lower pressure level. I'm not a fan of pushing mush past 10,000 PSI and these powders do very well in that regard.

I also use a lot of Green Dot, but not for 1 1/8 oz loads going too much over 1200 fps. 1250 is about the limit for Green Dot in most situations. I prefer to keep a little headroom available for unforseen varialbles. In that regard, Unique is my choice for the heavy lifting at 1250.

I did have some better results using Unique when I tested several loads for cold weather performance. The difference was not dramatic. One Herco load did not perform as I had expected. Simply selecting a load based on a different primer fixed the problem. My testing may not be that scientific, but it helps to weed out the poor cold weather loads before you are on the line or in the field.

Two other powders I have used with good results are Universal Clays and Winchester WSF. WSF is a bit on the slow side for 1 1/8 oz trap loads, but it works well enogh with careful load selection.

Solo 1250 seems to have been discontinued. I bought a few jugs of it last year and have not seen any since. It is/was a decent powder, but it was usually hard to find around here. It was a hit and miss thing when you needed powder. Unique is usually easy to find, since a lot of people use it for many applications.

11. Shooting Coach

Thanks for the info on Herco.

Over the decades, I have burnt a lot of Unique, in handgun as well as shotgun. I guess I will go back to Unique once my last keg of Solo 1250 is gone.

I am not one to re invent the wheel.

12. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

1 1/8oz.. 1250 FPS.. Remington hull.. Winchester primer DR Versalite wad..24.5 grains of Unique.. Flawless Feels very much like a Nitro 27.. My coach likes them alot too.. On the pattern board.. they are as good.. or better than anything else I've tried..

13. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Not to high-jack the thread, but I have seven 5 pound canisters of 7625... I got them from an estate sale - needed to buy everything related to reloading to get what I wanted.

I live near Philadelphia and would sell them face-to-face (don't want to deal with HazMat).

I will be 'on the road' until the end of the month (9/28), but if you are interested drop me an e-mail (drop the X's).

David D

14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Matt Ski uses the same load I do and he is right, they dont kick much

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

PerazziBigBore

I use a very similar load. The best part of the load is the Unique powder and the Versalite wad. I use the CCI209M in one of the loads I use for winter shoots. The Versalite Wads seem to work well for me in many situations, but my preference may just be that I started using them sometime before/around when they were made/sold by Pacific. I don't remember the name of the original manufacturer, but I've used them through Hornady and now into Downrange's tenure as the manufacturer. They have been as good as any other wad I've used. The only issue is that the over powder wad isn't really re-designed for the New Win AA hulls.

16. JTEA

JTEA Member

Back to the original thread; PB will start to bite at those speeds, but may work better in colder temps. I use Solo 1000 all year.

Unique works well in handgun loads, PB is OK for some.

JT

17. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

PB for 1oz loads, works great, shoots soft, and burns clean. To me its worth the expense. Up until now I've purchased my Hcap loads, but will be working up a reload soon, I do not intend to use PB...maybe 700X.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.