1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PB for 1 oz loads?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bjk1972, Sep 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

After using Nitro 100 for years, I'm thinking of using PB now. I have been using Win AA hulls and primers and downrange wads(xl-1) with 16.4 grns of nitro 100 and 1 Oz of hard 8s for everything. I know I'll need more charge weight and that PB is much more expensive and maybe slightly dirtier. Any other draw backs to be aware of? Or maybe solo 1000 instead.

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

If you are making 1oz target loads, stay with a faster, cheaper powder: S100, N1000, Bullseye, e3, TiteWad, RD, etc.

PB is a powder that has just about no equals in flexibility and performance, but there's no sense putting a racehorse on a kiddie-ride.

my 2ยข

Bob

3. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Brad,

PB is expensive yes, but its versatile and I am willing to pay for less recoil. Hogdon's reloading book should have PB in it for 1 ounce loads in Win Hulls. I think you might be please with how clean PB is. I typically load anywhere from 20 to 21 grains of PB with 1 ounce of shot, Win or Rem hull and a Cheddite primer. That puts me around 1185 to 1225. PB goes for about $143.00 to $150.00 per 8 pounds around here. Solo 1000 from what I have heard is very good powder as well with a little less thump. However, I have never used it.

John E.

P.S. Glad to hear the chokes worked well. FYI to all others, I had a very smooth transaction with Brad on some choke tubes. Good guy to deal with.

4. John55

John55 Active Member

I use PB for all of my 1-1/8oz loads and love it, have for nearly 30yrs! But, I can't see using it for 1oz loads, nothing to gain over faster burning powders. For my 1oz loads I have been using Clay Dot for the past 3 years with perfect success. 17grs of it makes a very soft shooting 1180fps load that is also every bit as clean as my PB loads, and for much less cost. Faster powders also ignite much better in the cold temps when loaded for 1oz... if you live where it gets cold in winter. PB won't generate much pressure under a 1180fps type 1oz load and I doubt that will make it very consistent from shot to shot.

5. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks John E., tubes are working out just fine.Reading another 1oz post and your guys comments on here have me reconsidering changing. I never though about lower PSI levels effecting performance.With one back surgery under my belt and Uncle Art knocking on my door, I want to shoot as soft as load as possible.Thanks Brad.

6. Beretta Young Gun

Beretta Young Gun Active Member

I would highly reccommend solo 1000. I shoot 21gr in top guns which chronos at 1150fps. very very soft and very very clean. PB is good stuff but not worth the price in my opinion. BYG

7. A201

A201 TS Member

Brad the sofest ever would be a 7625 powered load, but, it is expensive. Roger

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Use whatever powder you want, but a one ounce load at 1180 fps has the same recoil, no matter what powder you use, fast, slow, whatever.

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Roger is correct on the 7625 being softer. But its a little dirtier, I like 7625 for my 1 and 1/8 ounce loads about 23.5 to 24 grains for about 1225 fps.

I feel your pain Brad, a right shoulder injury in 2009 sidelined me for about 1 year. I'm shooting again, but I'm careful not to shoot the hot stuff.

John

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

John55, I sent you a PM. Thanks

Hap

11. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Timb99,true enough, its physics and I understand that.Heavier gun, less payload, or lower velocity is the only true way of alieviating precieved recoil.Im not nearly as thrilled with Nitro 100 sicne the "reformulation" and am just looking for opinons rather than a cure.I guess I'll have to be like Mikey and try it.LOl.Thanks guys.

12. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Because of the added mass of PB needed to produce similar speeds, it kicks more, not less. Evidence at the above thread.*

Neil

* . . . but of course, you can't tell anyway.

http://www.trapshooters.com/noframes/cfpages/message_archive.cfm?messageid=783233

13. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

Thanks for the input guys. The other thread on here (psi=recoil) has some very good info and a few arguements to boot!lol. Its worth a read. I had to ask my nine year old a few questions about Physics though!

14. Old Doc

Old Doc Member

I think you have to add the weight of the wad also. The ejecta. D Winter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.