1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

pb,clays,700x question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Tripod, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

Neil will say no and I must say he is probably right. Tripod

2. frank t

frank t TS Member

I know the mathematicians will say otherwise, but my own observation is that PB will give u more of push than a jolt. Single based powders dont feel quite as sharp when it comes to recoil to me. Again the mathematicians and engineers will tell u otherwise.

Frank T

3. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Chauncy;

The one thing that can not be escaped is the fact that fast vs slow powders have different rates of acceleration of the ejecta, evidenced by the powder manufactures themselves.

What the "can't feel the difference" pundits claim is no one can tell the difference in the fast vs slow rates of acceleration, because the time differential is so "small".

If you could be so kind as to get your re-loader and chronograph turning out a 1200 fps load with 700X vs PB, and perform a felt recoil test, we would be very grateful. Seriously.

I can not answer your exact question because I compared E3 vs PB.

4. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

Frank T,

Here come the math dopes.

According to the calculator on p 46 of the Hodgdon reloading manual, there's not much mathematical difference among those loads. I used 1 1/8 oz., Rem STS hulls, WAA12 wads, 8 lb. gun weight, to get the following:

[Clays 18.8 gr 10,300 lup 1,200 fps recoil 20.47 ft-lbs.]

[700X 17.5 11,200 1,200 20.12]

[PB 21.0 9,900 1,200 21.06]

There's no literature I've seen on the effect of lup pressure on felt recoil, at least objective calculations.

Some people might be able to feel the difference between 21.06 ft-lbs and 20.12 ft-lbs after 25 rounds, but I don't think I would.

Danny

5. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I am a recoil sissy. Felt recoil gives me pain in the shoulder and a flinch in the finger. Clays is far and away the softest powder I have used. I have much less problem with Clays than with 700X. I used 700x for years until a friend convinced me to try clays...I am sold.

JON

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.