1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

"Payson Bird Busters" Unfriendly?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pairaway, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

We had noticed on our last trip to Phoenix that there was a little club outside of Payson, AZ with one trap and one skeet field. Thought that it might be a neat place to shoot on the way back if it was open. On Saturday morning we were heading back to NM we saw that the club was indeed open and shooting. We turned around and stopped in explaining that we were from out of town and just passing through and would love to shoot a round or two. Was rudely informed that this was a private club and no outsiders. Too bad. We welcome everyone to our club....it might mean a new member plus income. Learned a lesson on how to treat new people.
    Bill

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land

You didn't know the secret Illuminati handshake.

3. pairaway

pairaway TS Member

I thought there must be a secret password....

4. DJSims

DJSims Member

Pairaway - I have spoken to another shooter that was not a member of their chosen few, and he experienced similar treatment. The club does not throw ATA or ASTA registered targets, and therefore there can be no outside rules that guide their shooting.

I feel that a selfish group like these shooters will be self defeating, with no young shooters to carry on when the group ages and passes on.

Doug Sims

5. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

May you should learn what the word Private Means. If they choose to be Private, then respect it and move on. No you want to start a pissing contest on how bad they are. You didn't get what you want so they are bad and now all the site know it alls are going to jump in and on.

Don

6. Tom Strunk

Tom Strunk Well-Known Member

As stated this is a PRIVATE CLUB. It is not unfriendly as I was welcomed to join when I moved here four years ago.

Only guests of members are allowed to shoot as we would have way more shooters than we can handle at the charge of $2.00 per round. Even guests are only allowed to shoot twice a year. We are a little club where the members do everything to keep the club safe and clean. All work is volunter and our membership is limited to 60 members. Our insurance is based on our members and guests of members shooting ONLY.

And Doug Sims I resent your statements and I will tell you that we have a waiting list to join our private club.

Thanks BIGDON.

Tom Strunk

7. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

All gun clubs have a responsibilty to promote shooting and gun ownership. It sounds like these guys have no sense of that responsibility. If they have a waiting list, they should build another field.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Cherokeee Kid, I agree that all gun cluds should promote shooting and gun ownership but, I do not agree that all private clubs have to let outsiders in to shoot on their ranges. As Tom pointed out above insurance is a big issue. As past president of a private club (members and guests) I do know insurance is quite an issue. However our club did let outsiders in to use the trap ranges. They make $ for the club. Inside ranges and the building were not open to outsiders unless you were with a current dues paying member.If these people do not want outsiders that is their perogative. Why not respect their rights and just shoot elsewhere without hard feelings. Mike.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Cherokee Kid- A clubs first responsibility is to satisfy its members. Expanding a club requires adequate space, money and an additional burden on the members who volunteer much time. This club is shooting practice at $2 per round and they probably lose money throwing targets. If the club threw more targets, they would lose more money.

But, I am surprised that the club would not invite an out of town guest to shoot a round or two with them.

Pat Ireland

10. bertonernie

bertonernie TS Member

You must be a DEMOCRAT.

Private: intended for or restricted to the use of a particular person, group, or class.

11. Singleshot

Singleshot Member

Gosh, I belong to three "private" clubs, two of which have posted rules about members and guests only.

We handle this type of situaton (fellow trapshooter, passing through, sees club and stops in) a little differently than Tom Strunk and his friends.

We always say, "Would you like to shoot a round or two as my guest?"

Hell, we've even been known to stand a traveler to a couple boxes of shells and loan him a gun, just for the chance to shoot the breeze with someone from another area who likes to shoot trap.

Our business manager at one club owns an insurance agency and wrote our policy, and, oddly, he's never mentioned how potentially fraught with danger it is to simply be polite and display a modicum of good manners when another shooter stops in to say hi.

But hey, Tom is correct. It's a private club, and they have every right to decide to be gentlemanly sportsmen or jerks, as they choose.

12. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Private or not the way you tell people they can't shoot will leave a lasting impression that could hurt or help your club down the road. I see no reason why somebody can't be told the same information without the attitude. Could be the guy has a lot to offer the club but based on the reception he gets will determine weather or not he may try and get on the wait list. It is a "Private Club" so you boys do what you want. Whatever you do your attitude will impact the long term viability of the club. Wait list or not. Jeff

13. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Does any one here belong to any private hunting clubs? If so, I would like to know where and when. Can I just show up and say you are rude if I am not invited to hunt? May I come and stay at your house anytime I want and if you say no, you are RUDE. Private is private. Rules are rules. They own it and if they do not want you to shoot there, go somewhere else. Some people think that they have a right to everyone else's property. They own it, they make the rules.

BTW at my club we welcome everyone and try to make them like part of the club.

14. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

At North Hollywood Sportsman's club in Santa Clarita, CA, we willing be pouring 3 new fields in the next 30-45 days. Our club is growing and the new members are adding new blood and enthusiasm. We are celebarting our 80th anniversary in 2008 and the members who came before us didn't leave us the legacy that is our Club so that 60 guys could sit around and shoot targets for 2 bucks and hang a "No Visitors" sign on our gate. As soon as we get the new fields in, we want to intoduce a lot of new shooters into the fun of trap and skeet shooting and secure a few more voters who will understand the value of our Second Amendment rights.

So, if any of you,(including you Payson guys), are going to be in our area, you will be greeted with a warm welcome. That is our heritage and we intend to live it every day.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

A few years back I stumbled into a private club in Ohio while I was following locals directions for finding a place to shoot trap. I was told I couldn't shoot unless I joined the club, period. I was told however I could attend the meeting and join then.

I know a few members of the Payson club and have shot with them at other clubs, being unfriendly isn't one of the traits I experienced from any of those guys. I'm sure if the club could expand and afford to it would. Reminds me of my nephews farm trap set-up on his place in Ohio. It's invite only because of insurance liability's and lawsuits.

Just down the road from the Payson club, about 45 minutes, one can shoot all the clays their heart desires! It will only cost you $7.50 a round and they have all that great insurance. Hap

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Some of you are jumping all over their case and 1. You were not there so you don't know what there attitude was. 2. You don't know why they choose to be private. 3.You don't know their rules. This is still the good ole USA where people/shooters are free to do things. Just because they don't meet your particular standards doesn't make them bad. You also don't know anything about the individuals yet you are ready to condemn. You must be the only perfect people on this planet or you think like a democrat and that you are entitled to share what others have. The members obviously subsidize the club to keep it private, no different than many golf courses, no different than lodges which some of you may belong. Do they allow strangers to just stop in??

It was a small event but some of you want to make a federal case out of it as judge, jury and executioner. Get a friggin life.

Don

17. smartass

smartass TS Member

Certainly any club has every right to restrict who shoots, but this sure isn't what a reasonable person would call friendly.

FATDON, you make no sense, as usual.

18. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I belong to a small, private club, also. In the past, we allowed guests to shoot for a 1 day membership fee to satisfy our insurance requirement. Unfortunately, our insurance carrier will no longer allow provisional members; full membership only. Most guests are unwilling to join. The ones that do are welcomed.

19. Cherokee Kid

Cherokee Kid TS Member

I nominate BIGDON for "Hospitality Chairman". LOL

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I like it........I'm going to try one of the local duck hunting outfits the has boats, 4 wheelers, etc available for members use.

I'll tell them they are jerks for hogging all the action to themnselves, and they should really be willing to share with people who don't pay the 15 thousand dollar buy-in.

Yeah, right.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.