1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paypal questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeezix, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeezix

skeezix Member

I know this isn't ebay or paypal- but I figure this board is full of real life sense and experience.

A friend of mine is trying to sell a reloader privately, I had mentioned that I knew of a potential buyer from another shotgun website and got the two of them talking. (it is a shotgun reloader, so this is kind of on topic). The potential buyer lives cross country - he wants to pay via paypal. As it turns out I have a paypal account left over from a single purchase I made 4 years ago - but I see that the withdrawal limit is less than the selling price of the loader. To increase my withdrawal limits paypal wants CC info, SSN, bank numbers. My question is, is this relatively safe? How can I or we get burned on this deal? What do I have to do to protect myself? and secondly the seller? (I know him, and I know the loader - I have faith that what gets sold and shipped is all of what the buyer is expecting)I do not know anything about the buyer.

John

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Paypal is safe. Apply for their credit card ( it is actually a debit type card. I use it to use the money up or you can just transfer to a checking acct. Dont be afraid

3. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

I have not had any problems setting up my paypal account or working with them.

4. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

I've purchased an RCBS reloader on Ebay using PayPal with no problems. I was able to connect with a person on this blog which resulted in my purchasing a MEC reloader, also with no ploblems. I just listed it as "Wanted: MEC 650 loader". Fortunately the guy who had the loader lived 50 miles from me and we were able to connect in person versus shipping it. By the way, my PayPal account has a low limit and I have had zero complaints using it. The most I've purchased on PayPal at one time was slightly less than $200.00 Darrell

5. John 53

John 53 Member

The one thing that you need to realize is PAYING with PayPal is free. RECEIVING money is not! There will be a fee for you to receive money through PayPal.

I just sold an item on FeeBay, and they charged me (They own PayPal, also) a good bit. The sale was a total of $465 with 40 of that shipping. PayPal got $13.79 for their trouble of being the middle man. They also forced me to use PayPal as I was doing a BuyItNow. This is in addition to the fees of FeeBay.

6. cdan12

cdan12 TS Member

check out paypalsucks.com , Dan Witcher

7. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

my paypal got hacked a few years ago. i wouldn,t use paypal for anything but it sounds like others have had good results. dwain

8. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

It works if you get a bad seller they took the money and sent it to me[refund]A guy had a dillon 650 as buynow for $300 new in box. I bought 2 and sent $600 by paypal. Never got loader and he tried to cut out of feebay. They reviewed the case and refunded the money.

9. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

During the past 8+ years I have used PayPal hundreds of times for money-transfer of payments for books I have written with no problems.

I was hacked once or twice by E-Bayer's but PayPal resolved the issue(s) and the money was returned to my account. The procedure was a hassle but was resolved by PayPal, quite quickly as I recall.

Withdrawl limits can be raised. How much, I don't know.

Rollin

10. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

RE: paypalsucks.com

The page you are trying to access has been identified as a known exploit, phishing, or social engineering web site and therefore has been blocked for your safety. Without protection, such as that in the AVG Security Toolbar and AVG, your computer is at risk of being compromised, corrupted or having your identity stolen. Please follow one of the suggestions below to continue.

AVG warning

tom

11. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I've ued PayPal about 1,000 times for sizeable exchanges without a glitch, AND on several occasions PayPal has even stepped in to assist me with refunds on questionable items I received and never received.

WW

12. nipper

nipper TS Member

they have my credit card and checking account number and i have no worry whatsoever, i have used pay-pal sinse day one and will continue too.

bill

13. nipper

nipper TS Member

if your pay-pal account got hacked into, you must of responded to one of the fake pay-pal/e-bay e-mails,next time go straight to paypal.com instead of responding to an e-mail requesting you to "update" your account. again pay-pal is 100% safe , plain and simple.

14. skeezix

skeezix Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the information. I'm not sure where my buddy stands on the deal, but they were boxing the loader up last night (dillon 900sl with casefeeder) I believe he was going to go ahead and set up a paypal account himself.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.