1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

paypal - good/bad

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by valmet, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valmet

valmet TS Supporters TS Supporters

paypal - good/bad-opinions

got into a discussion with a coworker about buying online who thinks paypal is the only way to pay. i told him i've never used it and probably won't. seems there was a thread about this awhile back. thanks dennis

2. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have never used Paypal, so I have no grudge, but apparently some do since there is a whole website of people obviously PO'd about paypal.....

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

after reading some of the stuff on the paypal sucks site, I think you would have to be crazy to use it???

4. traphouse52

traphouse52 Member

I've used PP for years for both paying and receiving without any problems. Mostly for ebay, but also for a couple of other transactions. As long as you have money in bank at time of puchase or realize it costs a few bucks to get a payment I can't see why it isn't a good service for both parties.

5. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

PP is good to a point. They will charge you on using them. READ THE FINE PRINT. Second, DO NOT SAY WHEN USING IT THAT YOU ARE BUYING A GUN. NEVER NEVER NEVER DO THAT. Your are buying a book, car parts, art, tools or what ever but never a gun or parts. trhey will kick you off in a heart beat. On a better note, I have gotten them to get my money from a dead beat that took my money and never sent the item. They will stand up for you better then those lazy bums at Ebay. Just to let you know PP is now owned by Ebay.

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Never had a problem with PP. I have used their service to buy and sell. When selling I include a statement that i will accept PP if you add 3 1/4%. PP charges 3%. Like Hydra says never mention guns, Bulge.

7. Bridger

Bridger Member

I use it all the time both to buy and sell. I've never been asked to specifically identify what I am buying or selling. All it asks is if the transaction is for goods, services etc. No fees involved to buyer or seller unless you use a credit card for the transaction. If you have a paypal cash balance or use a bank transfer there is no fee.

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Been using it for 8 years with no probs. I sell a lot on ebay and it works great, payment is instant. I love the debit card. It allows me to spend from paypal if I do not want to transfer the money to my bank acct. A transfer usually takes 1 -2 days

9. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I use and accept PayPal in my business. Never had any problems.

Matt - Woodson Enterprises

10. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Over 200 transactions with no problems. Jeff

11. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

If you use paypal on ebay, you invariably will end up having someone that wants to pay with a CC (and you HAVE to accept it, refusing to accept a credit card through paypal for an ebay transaction, or tacking on an upcharge to cover what pp charges you are both against Paypals TOS), at which point you'll need to upgrade to a premier or business account. From then forward, you'll loose 2.9%+ 30 cents on EVERY transaction you accept, not just those involving credit cards. As of mid january, paypal (or accepting credit cards through a private company if you have an account already setup for a business) will be the only accepted way to receive or send funds on ebay, you are EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED from sending cash, checks, or money orders. Just one more way for ebay to squeeze a little more $ out of you. Ebay is dying a slow death, and places like gunbroker will begin to see an increase in business for hunting related items.

12. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

We have used paypal for years both to buy and sell..........no problems. Easy to use and easy to account for all goods sold when selling. Kim

13. snapthecat

snapthecat TS Member

Pay Pal---Very very bad. Sold a silver eagle dollar on e-bay. Couldn't get the amount from Pay Pal. There is a limit that you can withdraw from them monthly. It took me 3 months to get the money, plus it is not automatic. You have to request the money month after month. Also, they charge a ridiculous amount for the transaction.

14. Kim Little

Kim Little Member

What alternative to paypal would you recommend that offers so many options?

15. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

I use it all the time.

Willing to give up a little to have others be able to use a credit card who don't have a paypal account.

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I will not do business with anyone who insists upon PayPal to the exclusion of any other method of payment. Period. I will not use PayPal, not now, not ever. Refer to the www.paypalsucks.com website posted above if there are any questions about how genuine their claims of protection are for sellers or buyers.<br>
    <br>
    And a comment for those using PayPal to buy and sell guns. Are you stupid or what?<br>
    <br>
    Please tell me how you expect PayPal to protect your transfer of you money or your item when you are violating their terms of service? If you turn in a claim for non-payment for a gun, or turn in a claim for a gun that never arrived, or got hit with a bogus claim you did not fulfill your end of the transaction, do you really think PayPal is going to honor their terms of service? The answer is - of course they won't. You violated their terms. Some people have already been burned by this for lying, and that's the word, lying, about the item in the transaction.<br>
    <br>
    But hey, this has all been posted here on more than one thread. Some people will drive on in a state of ignorant bliss even though they saw the BRIDGE OUT sign. Then they're miffed when their car goes over the edge.

17. locdoc

locdoc Member

Copied from PayPal's "accepted use Policy"

You decide if it is for you on transactions for guns and/or components.

What types of firearms related items does PayPal prohibit?
    Question :
    Answer :
    PayPal prohibits all account holders from buying or selling any type of firearm and certain firearm parts and ammunition. PayPal may allow certain U.S. merchants to sell items addressed by this policy if they have been approved by PayPal and can ensure transactions and shipments comply with all applicable laws and regulations.

Firearms – Include all rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they are intended for use in sporting, as collectibles, or as curio and relic firearms. These items are prohibited regardless of their present working order.

Firearm parts - Include, but are not limited to, receivers and frames, silencers, kits designed to convert a firearm to automatic firing capability, high capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers.

Ammunition - Includes ammunition with propellant, such as gunpowder or blank ammunition. Ammunition is defined as ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

Stun guns - For U.S. residents, PayPal allows transactions for stun guns only if the transaction is permitted by law in both the buyer's and seller's jurisdictions. U.S. sellers must ensure that each transaction is legal in both locations before completing the sale. Transactions for stun guns involving account holders outside the U.S. are prohibited.

Other Related Items – PayPal allows transactions for paintball guns, blank guns, and air-soft guns as permitted by law in the applicable jurisdiction. These items must display all markings required by law, must not be convertible to shoot a lethal projectile, and must not include blank ammunition.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

18. tonygrz

tonygrz TS Member

I've used PayPal over 200 times as a buyer and never had a problem. I even filed a complaint with paypal from a seller that did not send the merchandise. I got my money back within days. As for me, it's worked just fine.

Tony Garza

19. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

You can buy a black powder cannon on Ebay and use PP to send the money.

20. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I fully agree with Snapthecat and Brian, I for one have had nothing but bad experiences with them. They are plainly anti gun, that's reason enough for me to not do business with them? J.W