1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paypal & Ebay anti gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by minnship8, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. minnship8

minnship8 Well-Known Member

I see a claim in threads the certain people won't patronize Paypal & Ebay because of a claim that they are anti gun. If they are, I am ignorant to the reasoning and would appreciate it if someone could enlighten me as to why this perception exists.

Regards,
    Chip

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Can't sell firearms on Ebay...

3. hoosier

hoosier TS Member

It is not a perception, it is fact.

4. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Chip: PayPal is owned by ebay. They are anti-gun to be sure. It used to be that you could buy barrels and most parts for any gun. (They never did allow the purchase of a complete gun). Then they changed their policy and you are very limited as to what you can buy when it comes to anything related to a firearm. PayPal will absolutely not condone the purchase of any gun or many gun parts. I quit ebay and PayPal for this very reason. Ed

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

What is PayPal’s policy on transactions that involve firearms?

We don’t allow PayPal members to buy or sell any kind of firearm, whether it’s in working order or not. The same goes for certain firearm parts and ammunition.

For example, using PayPal, you can’t buy or sell:

Any firearm, including rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether they’re for sport and recreation, collectibles, or curio or relic firearms.

Firearm parts, including but not limited to receivers and frames, silencers, and kits designed to modify guns so that they fire automatically. High capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators, and camouflaging firearm containers are other items in this category.

Ammunition, including propellants like gunpowder or blank ammunition; ammunition or cartridge cases; and primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for any firearm.

6. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

PayPal just paid for a TC barrel shipped to a fella in New Zealand.

I would guess money still talks, they must love making it(interest and fees)

EBAY, "used" to be a go to site for reloading and firearm items. Their "ignorant" policy makers cost them, EBAY, lots and lots of Profit!!

In the real world, they would have been fired, but in this PC world its acceptable to lose money for your boss!!

7. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

ebay DID allow Gun sales many years ago. Then became more & more anti gun as the years went by. After the Virginia State shooting they added many more items to the list of NOT allowed, then it was any part used on or for an assualt weapon.

8. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Good to know since I've been taking Pay pal transfers as payments.
    Joe

9. senorric

senorric Member

Add Craigslist to Anti-gun (and all parts) list. Tried to sell an 870 rifled deer barrel and got blown in by some self-rightous individual! I found it ironic that swords, bows, knives, etc. (all deadly weapons) were OK but not a barrel! Guess I should have listed it as a Remington hollow tube club -----

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Why any gun owner or organization for that matter deals with Pay-Pal is beyond me! Those people donate huge amounts to have your gun rights taken away for heavens sake! Not another penny from me!

Hap

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

There is a service called GunPal that came into being to take advantage of the PalPay situation. I've not used it that I know of - I pay either by USPS money order or VISA - but it might be worth looking into.

Ed

12. minnship8

Hap,
    Can you enlighten me on how you are aware of the anti gun donations?

Thanks,
    Chip

13. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I personally don't care what donations they make. They make life hard for gun people, that's enough for me. By the way, I bought a Model 21 last year on Ebay for $500.00. They have us scared so badly that no one would bid. I feel bad for the sell, sort of.

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

PayPal's Policy on:

Firearms, Weapons, and Knives Policy

FIREARMS

You may not use PayPal in the purchase or sale of any firearm unless the seller has been expressly approved by PayPal as detailed below. This includes all rifles, shotguns, and handguns, whether for use in sporting, as collectibles, or curio and relic (C&R) firearms, and regardless of their present working order. Furthermore, PayPal defines "firearm" consistent with the U.S. Code and, as such, prohibits frames, receivers, or any other serialized firearm components. For more information, please refer to U.S. Code Title 18, Section 921

Exception for Imitation and Non-Powder Guns

PayPal permits the use of its services in the sale of certain properly-conforming replica (imitation) guns, paintball guns, blank guns, and "air-soft" guns. These items must display all markings required by law, must not be able to be readily converted to shoot a lethal projectile, and blank ammunition must not be included in the sale. In addition, as no one under the age of 18 is permitted to use the PayPal Service, regardless of the jurisdiction, under no circumstances shall the use of PayPal be permitted by persons under the age of 18 for the purchase or sale of any gun, including replica (imitation) guns, paintball guns, blank guns and "air-soft" guns. For more information regarding regulations applicable to the sale of imitation firearms, please refer to U.S. Code Title 15, Section 5001. The sale of imitation guns may be regulated differently outside the U.S., and international buyers and sellers must abide by these laws accordingly.

FIREARM PARTS AND ACCESSORIES

You may not use PayPal to purchase or sell any firearm receivers or frames, components and parts of receivers and frames, or "cut" or "80%" receivers. PayPal also does not permit assault weapon-related parts and accessories, firearm silencers, and kits designed to convert a firearm to have automatic firing capability. This includes the sale of any parts or accessories prohibited for sale by the National Firearms Act or other federal or state law, including items related to short-barreled shotguns or short-barreled rifles, fully automatic weapons, large-capacity magazines, multi-burst trigger activators and camouflaging firearm containers.

For more information about the National Firearms Act (NFA) and its requirements, please refer to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms website.

AMMUNITION

You may not use PayPal to buy or sell high-capacity magazines (those which hold more than 10 rounds), ammunition with propellant (e.g., gunpowder), or blank ammunition unless the seller has been expressly approved by PayPal as detailed below. The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.

DESTRUCTIVE DEVICES

You may not use PayPal in the purchase or sale of any explosive, incendiary, or poison gas bomb, grenade, grenade launcher attachment, rocket, missile, mine or similar device. Examples: Molotov cocktails, anti-tank guns (over caliber .50), bazookas, and mortars.

MILITARIA AND ORDNANCE

PayPal prohibits the use of its services in the purchase or sale of equipment or supplies issued to and formerly used by United States Armed Forces that have not been disposed of in accordance with Department of Defense demilitarization policies. Sales of such items may constitute violations of federal law.

Furthermore, you may not use PayPal in conjunction with the sale of ordnance (military weaponry, ammunition, and related parts) unless you can provide official documentation from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) stating that the item is unserviceable or demilitarized. Contact your local ATF office for more details on obtaining such documentation.

WEAPONS

You may not use PayPal in the sale of certain hand weapons that are illegal according to federal or state laws including: nunchaku; brass or other metal knuckles; leaded canes/staffs/crutches/sticks; zip guns; shurikens/ throwing stars; hand grenades or metal replica hand grenades; and billyclubs/batons, sandclubs, sandbags, or slingshots (also known as saps or blackjacks). For any other hand weapons, sellers must make certain that the weapon is legal in all countries in which it will be available for purchase.

STUN GUNS

You may only use PayPal to sell stun guns to the extent permissible by law. Sellers are responsible for reviewing the laws in their location and the location of the buyer and ensuring that sales are legal in both locations before completing such transactions.

KNIVES

In general, you may use PayPal in the legal sale of knives, subject to the following exceptions:

* Switchblade Knives. You may not use PayPal in the sale of switchblade knives. A switchblade knife is defined as any knife that resembles a pocketknife with a blade that can be released automatically or by use of a trigger. Other names for switchblades include spring-blade knife, snap-blade knife, gravity knife, and butterfly knife.

* Disguised Knives. You may not use PayPal in the sale of knives disguised to look like a harmless item. This includes, but is not limited to: belt buckle knives, cane swords, shobi-zue, lipstick case knives, air gauge knives, and writing pen knives.

In addition, as no one under the age of 18 is permitted to use the PayPal service, regardless of the jurisdiction, under no circumstances shall the use of PayPal be permitted by persons under the age of 18.

PRE-APPROVED MERCHANTS

You may not use PayPal in the purchase or sale of firearms or ammunition unless the seller has received prior approval from PayPal. PayPal reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to permit its payment services to be used for the legal purchase and sale of certain firearms and ammunition regulated by this policy. Approval to use PayPal for the sale of certain firearms or ammunition will only be permitted after a thorough review of the procedures and controls the seller has in place in order to ensure transactions and shipments are conducted in compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.

If you or your business requires approval to engage in the sale of firearms or ammunition in accordance with this policy, please send your contact information and a brief summary of your business to:compliance@paypal.com.

...............................................................................................

Their policies alone is enough for me. They also have publicly seperated themselves from charity organizations who once used PayPal to collect donations such as "Soldiers Angels".

15. minnship8

Thank you for making me aware of their public policies. I would however like to find out the basis for comments like, "They make life hard on gun people", "Those people donate huge amounts to have your gun rights taken away".

Thanks,
    Chip

16. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

EFF them both !!!

17. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Have bought parts and accessories with paypal,????????????????????? any strict rules with it. Seems some prefer it.

18. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've not seen anything indicating Ebay or Paypal donating funds to any anti-gun organization.

As to them being anti-gun. I think it is much more their being anti-litigation and trying to reduce any chance of a successful lawsuit. You may recall the reports that Ebay sold a high capacity magazine or magazines to the Virginia Tech shooter and the threat (don't know if it happened) of a lawsuit as a result.

I like Paypal fine, for what it is. A way to pay or be paid immediately. I try not to violate their terms of use and have never, so far, had a problem.

I notice some sellers take Paypal, but want the "gift option" which has no fees for the service. I don't do business with those sellers since, no matter how you slice it or dice it, that's a thief who is cheating Ebay out of the fees. Perhaps it's taking it a step too far, but, if they'd cheat Ebay ....

I buy lots of stuff off Ebay, and other places and don't mind Paypal at all. If I buy a gun or something similar, I just go get a money order. But I buy a lot more minor things with Paypal, than guns with money orders.

Bob

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I pay my ATA dues via Paypal... I get satisfaction knowing they facilitate my shooting activities with their services!

Jay

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    This has been repeatedly stated here, yet many still are in denial. The real pity is that some gun owners will do business with those who crap on them.

While it may be "convenient" to use PayPal to pay for gun parts, if something goes sideways PayPal WILL NOT protect you, because you violated their Terms of Service (ToS), meaning their state policy as found in posts further up in this thread.

Click the link to see what other stunts PayPal pulls.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.