1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

PayPal bogus alert

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jun 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I received this email from (supposedly) PayPal this afternoon. It was noted that it was sent on 7-02-2011. It claims that my account has been compromised because there has been illegal transactions using my credit card. Adn they want me to download a form and send in some info to them. This is obviously a scam. For numerous reasons. But be aware if you use PayPal that this potential threat is out there. Here is the body of the email. And I do not use a CC to back up my account. But I am sure that the form the scammers want me to fill out will ask for a CC.

The body of the email:

Dear PayPal Account Holder,

As part of our security measures, we regularly screen activity in the PayPal system. We recently contacted you after noticing an issue on your account.

We requested information from you for the following reason:

We recently received a report of unauthorized credit card use associated with this account. As a precaution, we have limited your online account access in order to protect against future unauthorized transactions.

MC:403 Case ID Number: PP-859-48-3971

This is a reminder to restore your account as soon as possible.

Please download the form attached to this email and open it in a web browser. Once opened, you will be provided with steps to restore your account access. We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure account safety.

In accordance with PayPal User Agreement, your account access will remain unauthorized until the issue has been resolved.

Unfortunately, if access to your account remains unauthorized for an extended period of time, it may result in eventual account closure.

We encourage you to restore your PayPal Account as soon as possible to help avoid this. We thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Please understand that this is a security measure intended to help protect you and your account.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
    PayPal

You are receiving this email notification because this email address is listed as the administrative contact email for your PayPal account.

Please download the attached PayPal Form and complete the filled and click on Submit button.

PayPal Email ID PP076
    MC:403 Case ID Number: PP-859-48-39766

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

BTW. Comcast.net had this quarantined into their "junk email".

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Another reason not to use them....

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Emails like this are common. Usually get at least one a week from a bank somewhere in the US, banks I don't even have an account with. Also receive scam software updates. Never, never respond to such an email. If you think it might be a legitimate email from a company you use, sign in via the URL listed in your favorites folder, never from information provided in the email.

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I buy stuff from Ebay every now and then and alot of sellers will only do PayPal. So i do use it occasionally. I will be on the look out.

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

These come around from time-to-time.

Simply hit REPLY and address it to: spoof@paypal.com.

If it's true PayPal will let you know ON YOUR PayPal account, or you can call them at: 877-672-9725.

PayPal NEVER has one do anything in emails, as Joe mentions in his response.

These are the same thing as the emails that say you've won the UK lottery.

WW

7. Buster 25

Buster 25 Member

I no longer use PayPal for ANYTHING!!! If I can't pay for it directly or with my CC. will not buy the product!!!

PayPal screwed me with/on my AMX CC a couple of years back...Fool me once, Shame on YOU!!!

8. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Whiz White has it right... forward it on to Paypal (and eBay) via "spoof" and they will confirm whether or not it is theirs...

It's tough to not use Paypal... in general it is convenient, quick and reliable. I've been hacked, but they fixed and restored my account in a reasonable period of time...

Jay

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I send that junk to PP also. Also they PP will use YOUR name when emailing you. If they don't use your name its a scam.

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Be extra careful these days. There are some malware programs out there that can install keyloggers and collect all of your account urls and logins. Many come by way of a Java exploit, keep that up to date and remove the older versions. It's a lot of work, but these creeps can get you, no matter what operating system you are using. I've seen some really bad incidents, so watch your accounts and keep your system clean of malware and spyware. Just because you have an anti-virus program, does not mean it will keep you safe. One recent bug actually used a popular anti-virus program to help propagate itself throughout a system and local networks. If you get suspicious emails, it's time to take a look and see if your system is clean.

11. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Somebody hacked my PayPal account last year and purchased a laptop computer. They tried twice. The first time they used the credit card account on file as my primary account with PayPal. We stopped that transaction, and then they tried using the account that I had set up as a secondary account. They had my password, and my account numbers. Be careful...there are some pretty good hackers out there.

12. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Just remember, anytime you get an email like this, verify it with the real site. Call them or log in to your account the way you normally would. Both Ebay and PayPal will have the same message on their site. If you don't see the message when you log in normally, it is a scam.

Phone calls:

A real company will not have a problem if you hang up and call them back. I got a phone call from one of my credit card companies. I gave them no info and told them I would call them back. I called the number on the card and they actually thanked me for doing so. It turned out to be a legitimate call, but better safe than sorry.

13. vmthtr in green bay

vmthtr in green bay Member

Someone used my account to buy $600 worth of Hockey equipment. Then there were 13 shipping invoices from Virginia through FedEx. I called the company that sold the Hockey stuff to find where they shipped to and when they found out that there was a fraud goping on, they hung up on me. My bank to care of it and I have removed my CC from my paypal account. Now I have to use the "Echeck" and wait for it to clear, but they take the money out right away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.