1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paying to Presquad

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Pre-squadding does have some advantages. You can get the squad/position you want you don't have to wait in a long line. It is true that if you want an early squad for the first event, that is usually possible without pre-squadding, but if you want an early squad for the last event, you should pre-squad.

Pre-squadding also helps the management a little and it is a source of income for the club. Management (volunteer usually) is over worked and many clubs need all the money they can get to operate.

Pat Ireland

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Makes things simple. I don't mine paying a little extra to get what I want.

3. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Paying to presquad fixes another problem that plagues the ATA. People who like myself, don't like the bank scramble. People will pull tickets. Lots of tickets with varying numbers so they can shoot on whatever bank it is they want to shoot on. The MTA (Michigan) where I do my shooting is still using an archaic system that allows this practice. There is no limit to the number of tickets a shooter can have in their possession since nobody knows how many they have pulled. Nice huh!? Sometimes they turn in the unused tickets, sometimes not. By making people pay to pull tickets or presquad and only issuing a refund to those who return their tickets before the first squad takes the line in that event. I get really tired of shooting alone or with one other shooter when there are supposed to be 5 of us out there according to the ticket house.

Jeff

4. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

Your probaly correct. Wait in line and squad when you get to the shoot. Post-2

5. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have presquaded ever since that practice was introduced to single shooters at The Grand. I get the position and the banks when offered. I have seldom been short squaded by more than 1. I know going in no matter how late I am in the day's first event, check to see what is the starting squad #. I use "Pre-squad.com" the most. I wouldn't want to stand in line and go through that any more than necessary.

An acquaintence gets furious when I suggest presquading due to the $2.00 fee. He shoots a Bowen & Perazzi O/U & drives a 35,000 truck???????

6. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

If I read the Wisconsin program correctly, if you walk up for a spot, you have to take the next squad, next spot available or you don't shoot. In that case it really pays to presquad ( which I did ). I have my spot, my squad and I will be able to park right behind my bank. It is a cheap price to pay in lieu of the price of shells, guns, gas, etc. Nubs Wagner.

7. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

You guys are referencing the Wisconsin program. The last time II shot at Waukeshau, I experienced something I really liked and wish they would adopt at Mason (are you listening MTA Tom?) They have squad hustlers that go up and down the line getting people signed up to speed up the time it takes to get one squad off and the next squad on the line. They do this at Michigan too but what they DO NOT DO at Michigan is allow a shooter to just walk up and shoot. Once you are assigned a shooter #, you are just that, a number. The hustler knows that there is an opening on a squad because they are in contact with the squadding room via radio. They do this at Mason and at the WTA. At the WTA, if there is an opening on a squad or if a shooter on that squad is late showing, boom, you jump on and they shoot somewhere else. It is a great incentive to not be late for your squad. There is absolutely no reason that a shooter cannot shoot on any squad anywhere as long as there is an opening and I cannot fathom why the MTA has such a problem figuring this out. I would sign up and wait with my stuff for the first available spot on a bank I wanted to shoot on and jump on. Do other clubs around the country allow this practice and if not, why? I never had to shoot alone and I filled in several other squads at the State Shoot a few years ago.

Jeff

8. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

Jeff

I'm no longer on the MTA BoD, so you may want to check the MTA web site to get in touch with a current Board member.

The obvious problem with your suggestion is that it's incompatible with bank scrambling system (which I know you don't like) in use at Mason.

I hope you do well at the Michigan State Shoot.

Tom

9. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

John T. the next time your acquaintance says anything about the $2.00 fee to presquad have him look on Presquad. Com at the Washington State PITA shoot. $30.00 per person to presquad. Still have not had anyone tell me what this helps, all I know is that one of the state directors told me Sunday that no one is presquading.

10. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Jeff; When do you cashier?? You are cashiered by shooter number also by squad and position #. You are putting more work on the line supv. Sounds like a Chinese fire drill to me. The ATA rules allow a person to be late and have rules for joining his squad. You want to circumvent those rules. If I showed up late and you were in my spot that I had paid for. I afraid words and complaints would fly. That is my spot whether I standing in it or not, bought and paid for. You are just trying to avoid the bank scramble and I don't think people pull all the squads you think they do.

Don

11. Darla

Darla Member

The Washington State PITA is $30 to presquad, but $25 of it is applied to the entry of the 1st event presquadded for. If you don't show, no refund. I think this is a great idea and salute the person who thought of it. You can presquad the entire shoot for $5, and all you have to do to get your $25 back is show up. Texas is $5 per shooter, and we always have people presquad for days that they are not there, "just in case I decide to mosey over".

Darla

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

win1911sl- There are a couple of ways to stop the practice you mentioned and it has been stopped at most places I shoot. When I pull a squad, I must have the plastic cards for every shooter on the squad. The shooters numbers are entered before a squad ticked it issued. Another position cannot be given to a number that is already in the system.

Pat Ireland

13. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

What Pat said. No plastic card, no ticket. Easy fix.

Big Don - I am not the one who makes the policies at the Wisconsin shoot. I am saying that their system worked for me. As far as you showing up for a spot you paid for late and I am shooting there, that would be between you and shoot management, not me. They are doing what they feel keeps the best interest of the shooter in mind and that is shooting with a full squad. I am saying that the system worked and that is all I am really concerned with. Fewer short or empty squads. Jerry W knows what I am talking about at the MTA. We see it all the time and the people running the show seem to turn a blind eye to it ever since tha bank scramble began. The only people it (the bank scramble) affects are those that do presquad for an entire shoot. Those like me who show up when we can to shoot an event or two are not affected at all since the new banks are posted for the day when I get there. Like I said, I don't really care where I shoot as there really aren't any really bad banks at Mason, I just like knowing where to park for the day.

Jeff

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Think I saw this on an old Kay Oyhe training tape but is seemed to be a good idea that would resolve some of the abuses mentioned here. He suggested a fee for pulling tickets ($50 or $100 per squad I believe), nonrefundable. Then none but the very rich could pull multiple tickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.