1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Pay raise for Congress, GEEEZZZ!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 391 shooter, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

These guys and gals in DC are so out of touch with us it is rediculous. I am going to stop now before I get BANNED off of here.

With economy in shambles, Congress gets a raise
    By Jordy Yager
    Posted: 12/17/08 05:41 PM [ET]
    A crumbling economy, more than 2 million constituents who have lost their jobs this year, and congressional demands of CEOs to work for free did not convince lawmakers to freeze their own pay.

Instead, they will get a $4,700 pay increase, amounting to an additional $2.5 million that taxpayers will spend on congressional salaries, and watchdog groups are not happy about it.

“As lawmakers make a big show of forcing auto executives to accept just $1 a year in salary, they are quietly raiding the vault for their own personal gain,” said Daniel O’Connell, chairman of The Senior Citizens League (TSCL), a non-partisan group. “This money would be much better spent helping the millions of seniors who are living below the poverty line and struggling to keep their heat on this winter.”

However, at 2.8 percent, the automatic raise that lawmakers receive is only half as large as the 2009 cost of living adjustment of Social Security recipients.

Still, Steve Ellis, vice president of the budget watchdog Taxpayers for Common Sense, said Congress should have taken the rare step of freezing its pay, as lawmakers did in 2000.

“Look at the way the economy is and how most people aren’t counting on a holiday bonus or a pay raise — they’re just happy to have gainful employment,” said Ellis. “But you have the lawmakers who are set up and ready to get their next installment of a pay raise and go happily along their way.”

Member raises are often characterized as examples of wasteful spending, especially when many constituents and businesses in members’ districts are in financial despair.

Rep. Harry Mitchell, a first-term Democrat from Arizona, sponsored legislation earlier this year that would have prevented the automatic pay adjustments from kicking in for members next year. But the bill, which attracted 34 cosponsors, failed to make it out of committee.

“They don’t even go through the front door. They have it set up so that it’s wired so that you actually have to undo the pay raise rather than vote for a pay raise,” Ellis said.

Freezing congressional salaries is hardly a new idea on Capitol Hill.

Lawmakers have floated similar proposals in every year dating back to 1995, and long before that. Though the concept of forgoing a raise has attracted some support from more senior members, it is most popular with freshman lawmakers, who are often most vulnerable.

In 2006, after the Republican-led Senate rejected an increase to the minimum wage, Democrats, who had just come to power in the House with a slew of freshmen, vowed to block their own pay raise until the wage increase was passed. The minimum wage was eventually increased and lawmakers received their automatic pay hike.

In the beginning days of 1789, Congress was paid only $6 a day, which would be about $75 daily by modern standards. But by 1965 members were receiving $30,000 a year, which is the modern equivalent of about $195,000.

Currently the average lawmaker makes $169,300 a year, with leadership making slightly more. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) makes $217,400, while the minority and majority leaders in the House and Senate make $188,100.

Ellis said that while freezing the pay increase would be a step in the right direction, it would be better to have it set up so that members would have to take action, and vote, for a pay raise and deal with the consequences, rather than get one automatically.

“It is probably never going to be politically popular to raise Congress’s salary,” he said. “I don’t think you’re going to find taxpayers saying, ‘Yeah I think I should pay my congressman more’.”

2. 391 shooter

I live in Ca. as well

They are trying to get +2.5% on incometax and a 35 cent per gallon gas tax!!!!!!!! Swartzabanger is Vetoing, I hope.

3. 391 shooter

I live in Ca as well.

Our braineyacks are planning a 2.5% increase in Income tax, and a 35 cent per gallon add on gas tax.

Swartzabanger is suppose to Veto, I hope.

4. 391 shooter

5. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Congress has the lowest approval rating in history and they are giving themselves a pay raise.

That would really work in the real world wouldn't it.

Jerry Walker

6. Hydra

Hydra TS Member

They are Dem what else would they do with OTHER PEOPLES MONEY. If it was their money they would keep it. They just love to spend that other peoples free money.

7. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Anybody ever read the book Term Limits by Vince Flynn?? what a great book (fiction)

8. 6878mm

6878mm Member

You yanks have the worst politicians in the world, we have some arseholes here, but yours??
    Pay increases are theONLY thing both sides agree on

9. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Where's the media? Lets fire em!

10. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

OK,, I guess this is a good thread to post some very interesting reading,,,

knock yourself out on the link above and tell me I'm nuts for digging this shit up and posting it,,,,,,,,,,,?????????!!!!!!!!!1

11. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'm all for the pay freezes of those who didn't do their jobs and the economy went south. I also take issue with 391's article that says the $6 in 1789 is only worth 75 per day today. No way jose!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way. If they indeed got $6 per day they were richly paid and didn't want for money at all. Dan

12. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Lite up your congress reps with emails. Tell them that if they don't stop the raises, we start voting for term limits. David provided us a link. USE IT. Omaha

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Gag me. Click on the links above. It will make your stomach turn. Remember, they represent US!
    <a href"http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=t&ie=UTF-8&rls=RNWE,RNWE:2005-34,RNWE:en&q=pay+raise+for+congress">

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Well, there goes the "work hard and efficient and it will pay off" theory. These people deserves raises like the Wall Street bailout bunch. By the way, let's throw in Freddie & Fannie executives. Then top it off by giving more to ACORN. They're all nuts. In my opinion, the less you give to gov't (including states & local) the better off you'll be; we know what they'll do with it. I'm wondering whether we deserve what we get since we continue to elect these clowns?? At the very least we're stuck with them.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BT-100dc, getting stuck with a bad apple is one thing, to continue grabbing the same apple time after time is the idiotic truth. Term limits? Like the pigs they mostly are, there's no way they gonna control themselves while feeding out of the publics trough! Hap

16. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I saw yesterday that the latest Rasmussen approval ratings for Congress is now down to 9%. And after all they've sacrificed for us, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.