1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Paul Graff

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Gold Medal, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Does anyone know the background of Paul Graff?

I have three shotguns restocked with Paul Graff wood and was wondering if he is still around.

Like Joe Friday said--just the facts.

Thank you.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I was honored to know and shoot with Paul. He has been gone over 15 yr.s now. When he was in his 80s, he fitted a super pigeon stock for me in under 10 minutes in July. To this day I can shoulder the gun, eyes closed and When I open my eyes it is still a fit. Paul sold stocks and shooting vests, with matching pants throughout the mid west and in Florida form the 60's until a few years before his death. He rented a building directly east of the old Ithaca bldg at the Grand (Herb Orre, the choke & M12 gunsmith was right out the back door, behind the cafeteria). Paul's wife, Florence, owned several dress shops and she designed the vests and had them and matching and contrasting pants made by Wrangler during the double knit days. Paul sold factory stocks and designed a trap stock which he had made under his name. Shortly before his death, the Cincinnati Enquirer outdoor editor wrote an entire page about Paul, yes the whole page. His oldest son told me "you know, dad never really lied, he just told the story like he wished it would have been". I could go on & on, I loved the old guy and miss him.

4. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Thanks, John.

I always wondered who he was, where he was, and if he was still around.

I have heard many complimentary stories about his stock-making abilities. Also heard a lot of stories about his supposed preferences when stock-making.

Supposedly;

He only carved exotic woods. (The ones I have/had are myrtlewood and monkeypod wood.)

He never checkered his stocks.

He always carved a raised cheek piece in each of his stocks.

He always put a grip-cap on the stock of a different kind of wood.

He got irritated with the stocks that were being marketed and made his own stock to his own specifications.

etc, etc.

I don`t know how many of these vignettes are true but the man was a magician when it came to making a very nice looking and well fitting stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
paul graff stocks

paul graff wood