1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterns with Reclaimed Shot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Matt Stockwell, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Stockwell

Matt Stockwell Member

Has anyone done much pattern testing with reclaimed shot? I shot a couple shells at butcher paper on the patterning board today and really could not tell any difference between the reclaimed shot and the new shot. I was shooting a full choke from 25-30 yards. I assumed that some of the flattened pellets would be "flyers" at that distance, but there really were not any. The local range has reclaimed for $16, so I would love to use it if shoots nearly as well as new. Was this a fair test or did I miss any thing in my comparison?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Matt- To compare patterns you need a minimum of five patterns, and 10 is much better. It takes a lot of time to count the holes in an inner and outer circle in each quadrant. Just glancing at a sheet of paper with holes in it will not tell you much, other than the load will make holes in paper.

Pat Ireland

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

And too, often the "flyers" actually get out of the pattern in the last 10 yards. YOu may want to do a couple of 40 yard patterns.

4. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

If you have a scale you might want to weigh a few charges of shot. That is to make sure your 1 1/8 bushing is throwing 1 1/8 oz. I got some reclaimed shot last year and most of it was white/brown ozidized (not tumbled or graphited). When I weighed some charges the 1 oz was throwing 0.7 oz and the 1 1/8 was throwing .85 oz through my PW 800+. Consequently I didn't want to use a 1 3/8 bushing to try to get 1 1/8 oz which would precipitate using a totally different wad in order to make the stackup.

I didn't purchase any more of that shot. just a heads up as this may not be your case.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

There is a 15 pattern run comparing the good stuff -- Remington 8's -- to reclaimed shot with a discussion.

Here's the link: http://www.shootingbunker.com/OpenItUp.html

Reclaimed is about 10% lower percentage, but with the right choke, it's just fine for 16 yard and skeet.

- - Bill

6. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

The patterns may reflect on the quality of the reclaimed. I've had access to several lot's of reclaimed, but bought from one batch only. The other two lot's were just to 'ugly'.

7. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I feel that if you have to count the holes your pattern must be ok and you are putting too much science into something that may be as simple as the wind blowing.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If it looks good it is good. You don't have to count no stinking holes. HMB

9. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

My reclaimed from last year (when shot was up) looked like anywhere from 4's to 9's. I tried screening it but too much hastle. I ended up putting 1# in my 25#'s of GOOD SHOT (20 times). Maybe OK for 16 yds, but nothing I would shoot for money.For $4 more you can buy REAL shot. We just bought 1 ton for $21 per bag (West Coast Brand).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.