1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patternmaster Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smoke22, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke22

smoke22 TS Member

Apr 26, 2008
    I figured that Im might start out using my field gun for shooting trap. My question is, I have a patternmaster choke in my gun that I normally use for duck hunting, can I use in a league or is against the rules. I didn't know if there were any rules regarding having an exteneded choke for your gun. To tell you the truth I have shot trap with several occasions and find myself doing really well with it. Its a patternmaster extended choke. I noticed though that I have be right on the clay when I shoot. I scored my first 25 out of 25 two weeks ago.
  2. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

Feb 6, 2008
    There is no rule against using an extended choke. However, you can look at this 2 ways. With the patternmaster being choked full for steel shot you will have to be right on the target to break it, as you have seen. If you go to a more open choke will not have to be right on and you may pick up a few targets that you swing slow on. I shoot my Xtrema 2 for trap right now until I can afford a dedicated trap gun. I was shooting an IM and after the puller/scorer said that I was losing targets because my pattern wasn't opening enough I switched to a Mod. Don't get as hard of a break and am not smoking/dusting the clays but I am picking up some shots that I sometimes swing a little slow on.

I look at it this way. When I shoot my IM choke it forces me to be on the target and swing the gun. But the Mod allows me some room for error. I like the fact that the IM forces me to be dead on as when and IF I ever get to move back in handicap I will be trained to be dead on and my sight picture will be the same. I will start shooting IM for practice and Mod for registered targets.
    Just my .02 for what its worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

which patternmaster for trap