1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patternmaster Choke

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by smoke22, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke22

smoke22 TS Member

I figured that Im might start out using my field gun for shooting trap. My question is, I have a patternmaster choke in my gun that I normally use for duck hunting, can I use in a league or is against the rules. I didn't know if there were any rules regarding having an exteneded choke for your gun. To tell you the truth I have shot trap with several occasions and find myself doing really well with it. Its a patternmaster extended choke. I noticed though that I have be right on the clay when I shoot. I scored my first 25 out of 25 two weeks ago.

2. NU2Shooting1027

NU2Shooting1027 TS Member

There is no rule against using an extended choke. However, you can look at this 2 ways. With the patternmaster being choked full for steel shot you will have to be right on the target to break it, as you have seen. If you go to a more open choke will not have to be right on and you may pick up a few targets that you swing slow on. I shoot my Xtrema 2 for trap right now until I can afford a dedicated trap gun. I was shooting an IM and after the puller/scorer said that I was losing targets because my pattern wasn't opening enough I switched to a Mod. Don't get as hard of a break and am not smoking/dusting the clays but I am picking up some shots that I sometimes swing a little slow on.

I look at it this way. When I shoot my IM choke it forces me to be on the target and swing the gun. But the Mod allows me some room for error. I like the fact that the IM forces me to be dead on as when and IF I ever get to move back in handicap I will be trained to be dead on and my sight picture will be the same. I will start shooting IM for practice and Mod for registered targets.
    Just my .02 for what its worth.

Allan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

which patternmaster for trap