1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning questions

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Jun 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

I usually pattern at 35 yards, others pattern at 30 and 40 yards. The distance really depends on what you are trying to figure out. I suggest that the very minimum paper size be 48 X 48. I usually limit my pattern analysis to the holes in a 20 inch and a 30 inch circle. My gun shoots rather high so my aiming point is 10 inches above the bottom of the paper.

Pat Ireland

2. WindyCity

WindyCity TS Member

I agree with Pat on the size of the paper. I purchase large 48" x 48" pallet sheets which are 1/8" cardboard. This holds up well to any distance you want to pattern from. I personally pattern from 30yds and draw a 30" circle on the cardboard to really see the amount of pattern inside the circle.

If you are going to be at the Ohio State Shoot, I can throw in a few if you are interested. They are $2.50 each. More expensive than paper, but can hold up in just about any condition and they don't rip. In addition, I take mine home and compare them to previous patterning to see if something has gone awry.

Good luck.

Cory

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jerry, you can buy rolls of 48" wide white butcher paper from Uline at a very reasonable price. Alternately, go to your local party supply store and look for 100' rolls of plastic table cloth. It usually comes in 40" widths, but you can find larger at some stores.

If you are only interested in what happens in the 10, 20 and 30" circles, you can get buy just fine with 40" wide material. I'd suggest you shoot from a rest so you don't "pull" shots much.

Next you should decide how you are going to count the holes. I use Shotgun Insight to analyze my patterns. You take a jpeg picture of your pattern and run it through the software. It tells you what you need to know. It works better if the pellet holes are clean and round. The 40" plastic material sold by Precision Reloading is the best in that regard. Pellets punch round, clean holes with very few hanging chads. Plastic table cloth material is next, followed by the Uline paper. The thicker the material, the fuzzier the hole, and the harder to analyze with software.

BTW, I pattern loads and chokes intended for singles at 30 yards, because that's where I take those targets. If I took singles at 33 yards, that's where I would pattern. I pattern handicap chokes and loads at 40 yards for the same reason. You should pattern where you take your birds. It makes the most sense, and there is no guessing- what if.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.