1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning Question - for you patterning genius'..

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by topgunshooter, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. topgunshooter

topgunshooter TS Member

Patterning Question - for you patterning genius

Here is my situation –

I shot the bottom barrel of my 31” O/U with the screw in choke set to Imp Modified at a black circle (2.5” in diameter) from 13 yards away. I set the bottom of the black circle right on top of my front bead. The result was a centered pattern 8” in diameter – with the bottom of the pattern touching the bottom of the black circle. => THEN <= I shot the top barrel of my 31” O/U with the screw in choke set to Full at a black circle (2.5” in diameter) from 13 yards away. I set the bottom of the black circle right on top of my front bead. The result was a centered pattern 6” in diameter – with the black circle in the middle of the pattern.

Questions;
    (1) Am I correct in reading the bottom barrel as 60/40 and top barrel as 50/50?
    (2) Do these appear to be the correct pattern sizes (8” & 6”) for Imp Modified & Full chokes respectively?
    (3) Is there any way to raise the pattern on top barrel only?

2. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Appears to be a proper setup for dbls. Glenn

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

TGS, the way I read it, your lower barrel shot about five inches higher than the bore. The lower (edit; upper) maybe three and a half depending on the rib height. (second edit: this should be more like two-plus based on zzt's later post.)

Neil

4. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

I figure the same way Neil. However, does this transpose to a pattern that is 15" high at 39 yards?

5. below 0

below 0 TS Member

Looks like it's shooting 100% high in the bottom and considerably higher in the top.

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Answers:

(1) no and no. Your bottom barrel shoots 4" higher than POA at 13 yards. That's 12" high at 40 yards, or 90/10. Your top barrel shoots 1.25" high at 13 yards. That's 3.75" high at 40 yards, or a little more than a 60/40 shooter. If your rib is reallt tall, you'll shoot an inch higher at 40 yards than the figures I just gave you.

(2) no and no, usually. If it was really cold, or you were using cheap ammo, or small shot sizes that would be right. Example: using Nitro 27s 7 1/2 in my full choke at 13 yards I get a hole about 1 1/2" in diameter with a few pellet holes around it. Even counting the lace it's only 3" across. IM isn't much bigger but has more lace.

(3) yes. However, before you do, are you sure the problem is with the top barrel and not the bottom? Are you sure your chokes all shoot to the same place? Have you actually checked? Our recommendations will be based on what you say and how good your hardware actually is.

7. Steven

Steven TS Member

OMG, the more I read the threads the more I am discusted with the replies from DUMB DUMBS Contact "Pat" or "Alf" these guys are smart. Noone can answer this question based on the info listed. Is it a trap gun, field gun, sporting gun. trap guns are usually set bottom barrel 3" higher than the top barrel. What type of gun? NOBODY CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION WITHOUT KNOWING WHAT GUN YOU ARE USING. Also did you shoot standing or bench rest????

Recommendation: shoot both barrels (same ckokes) same distance, bench rest

All i can tell you is if your gun fits, look at the bird and pull the trigger.

Remember!!!!!!!!!! if the gun is not set to fit, you will never get better!

Fit the gun...look at the target...pull the trigger.

8. Steven

Steven TS Member

One more thing, for "Topgunshooter" fit your gun, fit your gun, fit your gun ............... by someone that knows what their talking about. If your gun is not fitted to you, you will suck against a shooter that has less skills than you.

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Steven, I think the posters who have answered this question think of an over and under as a pair of tubes which place their shot in a repeatable location and which don't know what they are shooting at whether it be a trap, skeet, SC or field target. I also doubt many of them think that a trap gun is reliably set 3 inches high on the bottom barrel, but would likely say instead "some are but some aren't."

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.