1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning/POI thoughts (still a 'newbie')

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Billster, Sep 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Billster

Billster TS Member

Shooting for two months now and starting to see patterns develop with the BT-99. Aside from the occasional 'over' call from my instructor/puller on some straightaways, his most often comment is 'just under' the target. I'm starting to stay in the 20's more consistently now but shot with a squad of real Perazzi hot-shots the other day...these guys were SMOKING those targets. (every other target they were adjusting the ramps for POI i guess.) I was pretty much staying with them but could count the pieces of targets as they fell to the ground. Dead birds not dramatic to say the least.

Now I read an article that the BT-99 shoots 'flat'. This means shoots low? I'm thinking about patterning the gun this week to see where it shoots from a rest to get the gun's perspective...then shooting from the shoulder to see how i match the gun. A 50/50 pattern should have half the load below and half the load above the center of the paper target? 60/40 60% above center, 70/30 70% above and so on? Have adjustable comb and GraCoil LP.

Thanks for thoughts re: this. I wanna SMOKE 'em!
    Bill Stengel

2. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Bill;

You are correct in your definitions of pattern placement. A 50/50 pattern represents a flat shooting gun.

For the most part, it is the height of the eye above the rib that affects the POI of guns.

When patterning your gun for POI, bear in mind that the pattern represents the POI ONLY for the position of the eye used when patterning. If it moves during swings, the results during patterning are moot.

Rollin

3. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

SMoking them also has much to do with the choke choice. TIghter the choke, better your chances are for smoking them.

My BT99 is a factory choked FULL. Prior to that I had mostly been shooting improved modified. My accuracy came up much more quickly using the full, as I could tell more accurately where I was off in relation to the center of the target.

4. buzzgun

buzzgun Member

omg...

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I learned a great deal from rollins book and from Pat, Neil W, and a host of others. I learned if you are setting up your sights ex. fig8 or stacked beads a bench rest test will show where the GUN is shooting relative to bead alignment. I had thought I had a bent barrel until a good run through of Neil Winstons 13y pattern method. Then with Rollins book I learned a few things about gun fit that really helped move things along. Once I knew that my barrel to bead alignment was true POA. I then moved on to get a better POI or where I was looking. Now when I mount my gun a see a good amount of rib between the sights. Heres a few pics of some early comb adjustments. Pattern was not much of an issue I was looking to raise the impact of the shot charge. The lower pic is my browning XT with comb at at lowest setting, the upper shot the comb drop is 1 1/8 inch<center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center>

6. Billster

Billster TS Member

Thanks, guys. A little clearer now. The gun should be spot on...when on the rest should I sight down the ramp as if holding against the comb shouldered or line the beads up to the bull? End result should be illustrating where I put the pattern (POI) with gun mounted.

Those pics helped alot. Comb up, pattern up. Thanks.

Bill

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just do not make the same mistake I did. At firts I was frustrated that my XT "trap gun" was shooting as flat as my 870 field. I then raised the comb, but in my frustration I kept aligning the beads fig8 style. The POI was not changing ARRGGHH. Do not pattern your gun when frustrated. I think once you start messing with the comb your mid bead becomes sort of moot. I put the front sight on the solid green dot under larger shade dot. Once you get off the bench you need to fine tune the basics of gun fit, stance, swing mount ect ect. I practice alot and work to move every thing in synch. Now that your steady in the 20s knowing where your shot is going is helpful. I feel now that 99% of my misses are lack of focus and delivery. You may notice a drop in scores after you start adjusting comb. YOU will need to adjust also. I played around with comb for 3 solid pattern days. Got to where I like what I was seeing on paper. Then went to the field. took about 2 cases to adjust to the change and get the flat shooting out of my mind. Now im comfortable with where its at. I may go a bit higher in winter to see if I like it. Im getting some stock work done this fall so I will have to revisit the pattern board again.

8. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The pattern on "paper" only really tells you if it shoots dead on right and left. Despite what anyone says, ALL gunners see a different picture regarding height of their point of impact (POI). Once you learn what you need, (6", 8" 10", 12") above your point of aim, it is then handy to know height if you buy a new gun. Only consistancy and practice will determine what you need.

Set the machine on straightwaways and raise or lower you comb till you smoke them, then your close. But your gun must shoot "right on" vertically before you try to dial it in. The comb is like a rifle sight. Move it (the comb)the direction you need to move your impact if not right on. Few factory combs shoot right on. An adjustible comb is desired.

9. Billster

Billster TS Member

Was under the impression that the center bead was only a reference point to verify gun mount/hold. Looks like I was correct. Bringing extra washers for the comb. Wanna get this done before starting shooting registered in week or two.

thanks again for taking the time to reply.

cheers
    Bill Stengel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.