1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning Plate

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by HSLDS, Mar 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I would like to build a patterning plate for my shooting clubs.

First, what size plate should it be? I hear 36 by 36 is OK, but what works best?

I need it to be portable (I belong to more than one club) - So I am looking for ideas on the THICKNESS needed as well as types of metal to use (e.g., can I use thinner plate in stainless as opposed to mild steel?).

Leg designs, etc. would be nice too.

Please remember I am looking for low weight.

Thanks for your thoughts, ideas, and help.

David D

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you are going to use a steel plate, it will be heavy. A wooden frame with a large roll of paper is the way to go if you want something that is portable. HMB

3. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I'd think 3-foot diameter might be large enough, to go back to 40 yards. You could cut it round, to reduce weight? Ours is 3/8" (& 8X8 feet,) but I suspect 1/4" would be thick enough? You'd need to check on that, maybe shoot some scrap pieces of steel, of various thickness. Mount it permanently on a trailer, front-to-back? You could weld it to a frame, and set right down on the trailer bed would be an OK height up from the ground, to shoot in place. Put a scrap of steel over the tire when you stop & set-up, so the wheel/tire couldn't get hit. Phil E

4. smartass

smartass TS Member

better make it extra thick for the bozo who shoots it with steel shot

5. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

We made one last year and I don't think I would do things differently. I used 42" X 42" X 1/4" steel and welded 3" angle iron legs to the back. I sunk the legs in 3' of concrete (post holes). It's there to stay. For grease, we use white lithium grease, cut with a bit of synthetic motor oil, add white liquid paint pigment and apply with a roller.

6. hawk57

hawk57 TS Member

Since you need to smooth out the grease after each shot why bother? And if its going to be moved, where is all the grease going to end up? Make the board out of wood and put paper on it. News paper works and it's free.

Just remebered, I ran accross a portable patterning setup somewhere on the web. It was a metal rod frame with a roll of paper. Anyone run accross this?

Here's one, but it's not the one I was thinking of.

http://www.hugetarget.com

Hawk,

7. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

HSLDS, I'd suggest making it out of angle iron, 50" square, with extra vertical members so you can accommodate those who use 35" wide red rosin paper, 40" wide patterning material or table cloth runner, and 50" wide butcher paper. If you use a steel plate and put paper over it, the pellets bounce back and ruin the pattern for counting pellets electronically. Even with red rosin paper you get big lead splats on the back side. You shouldn't be handling that much lead dust, and you surely shouldn't be inhaling any of it.

If you move it often, hold it together with quick pins. I forget the exact name but it is like cotter pins, but snaps in and out. You can find them at the big hardware retailers or RV shops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.