1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Patterning One Gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by JRD08, May 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRD08

JRD08 TS Member

Do you pattern your gun from 100' for both singles and caps?

2. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Jack, a 33 yard pattern will give everyone a lot of confidence. The trouble is, the 40-yard pattern is a veridical representation of what you have to work with at 40 yards. Do your 33-yard patterns from inexpensive shells count any different from those from premium ones?

Neil

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Really, Jack, you and I are in complete agreement on this. With experience, you can tell as much about the "tightness" of your choke at 13 yards (as long as you use paper, not cardboard) as you can at 40, for all practical purposes. And there's not all that much "practical" about patterning at 40 other than to convince you that you had better shoot without delay from the 27 or you won't hit much. And sure, if you have a good choke and shoot a premium shell, any premium shell, you are giving yourself the best possible chance at a good score. Was the person we both know shooting a premium shell at 13 yards? If not, then your guess about his choke may well have been way off.

Another "person we both know" was testing last fall in Prior Lake and his patterns were _way_ too open. I happened to have a Briley choke for his gun that I knew worked as expected, but that didn't help. When I gave him a AA to try, the pattern dialed right in to look as it should.

As you have concluded, I too believe in quality shells, since I've never found a bad brand, shot-size, wad, or whatever else is said to count in any of them. But I have more confidence in the basic equality of guns than either you or PBB have. I don't know anything about the claimed range of quality of choke tubes since I use fixed full-or-close chokes or Briley's of the same types and believe me, even if you count, you can't tell the difference.

Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.